Confirmed Signing with Link: [DAL] Miro Heiskanen signs extension with the Stars (8 years, $8.45M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
Dallas I really can dig that dessert Texas place for him to be a important player and a star - no way Jose (Sharks!) or anywhere else!

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
When you are your teams MVP until the cup Finals vs Tampa (27 points in 26 games) as a freaking 19yo this is not an overpayment.

counterpoint, he’s not been a top 1% player in his 200 other games. He’s being paid like he has been. He’s got a good chance to become that guy but he’s not yet. That said it’s hard to get upset about this. Trouba gets $8mil a year ha.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
You pay defenseman like Heiskanen. Big guys who can skate like him AND have the IQ to make plays are worth it.

Good for Dallas to lock up a cornerstone player.

Reactions: 1989

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
ElC. I think his first season counted as a slide? I forget. But this is off his ELC.
That's a pretty big number for a guy coming off his ELC. I'm kind of miffed by these teams seemingly giving up these big dollar contracts on the first ones off ELC. If this is off a bridge and they were buying out more USA years or totally make sense, but this really seems like a high dollar contract. I'm sure others will disagree and that's fine but I just don't understand why we accept the players can leverage their advantages when they're UFAs, but teams are more and more giving up their own advantages when the players are RFAs.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
this is a really good comp. miro is being overrated in this thread quite a bit. The numbers don’t really justify the praise. He looks like a top pair d who generates very little offense and plays good d in a good system. People calling him top 2 are crazy but he’s very very good.

lots of words. But my main point is this. You don’t get into trouble very often by paying really good players a little too much unless you do it for too long (if they are old), too little (if they are young hi auston) or if you do it too often. Miro still has a ways to develop and looks like 75-85% likely to his his astronomically high ceiling. This is a risk but i,wouldn’t worry about it if I were as Dallas fan.

Klingberg is actually not at the same level as Heiskanen defensively. I doubt Klingberg will get an extension even close to Miro.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
Klingberg is actually not at the same level as Heiskanen defensively. I doubt Klingberg will get an extension even close to Miro.
The problem is klingberg is a unrestricted and I’d be very surprised if he gets less than $7m/per from someone. Not 8.45m but not far off

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Whether it's a win for Dallas will be determined when he lives up to expectations of his extension, the team succeeds more consistently, and cap goes up.

Right now, I call it a win only for Miro because he/his agent really had the leverage. The team needs him more than he does the team.

This just made Klingberg's extension in the $9M+ range.
Heiskanen is better than Klingberg, and if someone gives klingberg 9m or more, they are going to hate it

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Heiskanen is better than Klingberg, and if someone gives klingberg 9m or more, they are going to hate it

Exactly a $9M defenseman needs to be a good penalty killer and Klingberg is terrible at that. I want to keep Klingberg but he can't be paid like that .

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I dont see a problem. You let him go. I bet Miro can handle his PP-minutes by then.

The problem is Klingberg is the only RHD on the team . I know its not super essential but you really don't want to just dress LHD's.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Maybe $1-1.5m more than I would have preferred, but for an 8 year deal I get it.

Hope his offensive numbers can rise of course but I think that will happen as the teams offense improves as a whole.

I hope Makar gets $10-11m :)

Honestly though he probably comes in around $9-9.5

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Maybe $1-1.5m more than I would have preferred, but for an 8 year deal I get it.

Hope his offensive numbers can rise of course but I think that will happen as the teams offense improves as a whole.

I hope Makar gets $10-11m :)

Honestly though he probably comes in around $9-9.5

That price tag is more then justified. Guy won the Calder and came in second for the Norris this year? Yah 10 mill would be my starting point if I was his agent.

Jan 21, 2018
Nothing wrong with overpaying your star player. It’s when you overpay bottom 6 players that you get in trouble, no one should be complaining about this deal.

Also why am I seeing people comparing this deal to Tavares, how is a RFA D similar to a UFA C? Or do you guys just need the Leafs to be in every thread?

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I dont see a problem. You let him go. I bet Miro can handle his PP-minutes by then.

This exactly. People who think this is a bad deal are looking at Heiskanen's hockey db page and forgetting about Klingberg

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Heiskanen is worth 9 mil only for his defense. The points are just extra. That's why he's special.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
If Miro played for a team with a different system, I’d feel confident that he’d be seen as easily the best young dman in the league. By far the best young D in his own zone and he excels in transition. His point total takes a hit due to the team he’s on, but anyone that does more than stat watch realizes how stupid good he is.

It’s funny how Dallas had Zubov in the era when Norris voters held defensive play in the highest regard, and Miro in the era when points are all that really matter.
Why would switching teams make him magically be seen as superior to Makar/Fox?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad