Confirmed Signing with Link: [DAL] Miro Heiskanen signs extension with the Stars (8 years, $8.45M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
The amount of people who open up EliteProspects.com and look at his stats line and then make a comment in this thread is very funny.

I am very high on Heiskanen, have been since draft day but while this is not the worst contract (at all), he definitely is not worth 8.5 right now so it's an overpayment I'd say at least for 2 more years but if he becomes the 1D I think he can become it's a very good deal for the next 6 years.

Just to be clear he is better overall than Chabot in my opinion (even though I thought he improved defensively this season)

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
That should put Hughes at about 8 years 7.5mil. And Pettersson at about 8 years, 9mil.

All things considered, good contract.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Question isn’t whether he’s good, it’s whether his actual results so far warrants the term and cap hit. Especially with cap supposed to stay flat for a few years.
I mean what do you give guys like Makar/Fox who have produced a lot more, gotten Norris consideration and aren’t bad defensively?

It's one of those things though where both Dallas and Heiskanen's camp know he's already excellent and he's probably going to be an elite #1 defenseman over the majority of this contract, so Heiskanen isn't going to sign long term for what he's been so far because he knows that means missing out on a ton of money, and Dallas would probably prefer the money spread out over the deal with some cost certainty rather than a couple million savings now and a big payday the line. The days of the MacKinnon, Barkov and Tavares type RFA contracts seems to be gone where young up and coming stars were signing for decent term at a cap hit well below what they were likely to be worth if they continued to improve (which they did). If it means players tend to get paid closer to their current worth rather than their past worth in UFA contracts though, it's probably a good thing.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Franchise level D. This isn’t an overpay for that duration of contract.

People said the same about Draisaitl deal and within a year it was clear if was going to be a bargain

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Reminds me of Ekblad's big deal.
Looked really questionable the first two years (injuries were a big factor) but now it looks like a steal.

Reactions: LT

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Tampa Bay, Dallas. Both have a competitive advantage thanks to state taxes.

This is another crappy contract that confirms that a tax advantage isn't enough. It takes a good GM at the helm. The Stars continuously pile on crappy contracts while the Lightning get good deals.

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
I don’t know how this is anything but a win for Dallas. Miro is an absolute stud and locking him up for anything under 9 is fair value. Congrats to Miro and to Dallas.

Reactions: Timani

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
I put Heiskanen at #1 going forward. This guy was a sneeze away from the Conn Smyth and will win 5 Norris trophys
When was the last time someone won 5 Norris trophies, Lidstrom? Not even Erik Karlsson, Hedman and so on have won that many and everyone thought they would win a lot.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
$8.45 cap hit feels a little high to me, but then again Heiskanen is a phenomenal young defensemen. This contract might look incredible in 5 years when hopefully the cap has gone up a good amount.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Question isn’t whether he’s good, it’s whether his actual results so far warrants the term and cap hit. Especially with cap supposed to stay flat for a few years.
I mean what do you give guys like Makar/Fox who have produced a lot more, gotten Norris consideration and aren’t bad defensively?

"aren’t bad defensively?" - This confirms you have NEVER seen Heiskanen play! EVER. Heiskanen is probably better than both defensively. The tera is 8yrs, so it will be a bit overpaid 2 first year, good the next 2 and great the last 4yrs when he is in his prime. Heiskanen BAD DEFENSIVELY??? :D :D :D

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I put Heiskanen at #1 going forward. This guy was a sneeze away from the Conn Smyth and will win 5 Norris trophys

you realize that Makar is nearly a PPG for his career and finished as runner up to Fox who was the youngest Norris trophy winner in forever.

Heis is good but I don’t see him winning every Norris trophy coming up, especially over those guys.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
People really have short-term memories. We are one year removed from Heiskanen being in Conn Smythe discussions and now suddenly he isn't worth this reasonable contract?

His point totals have been depressed by the system the Stars play and the lack of powerplay minutes. If you aren't on the first unit, you aren't scoring on the powerplay as a Star.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Tampa Bay, Dallas. Both have a competitive advantage thanks to state taxes.

This is another crappy contract that confirms that a tax advantage isn't enough. It takes a good GM at the helm. The Stars continuously pile on crappy contracts while the Lightning get good deals.

He was not going to take less the Chabot no matter who the GM is/was . That had been cofirmed months ago.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
you realize that Makar is nearly a PPG for his career and finished as runner up to Fox who was the youngest Norris trophy winner in forever.

Heis is good but I don’t see him winning every Norris trophy coming up, especially over those guys.
Let's see either of those players face the adversity Miro had to face last season and see if they don't have a down year. Heiskanen is every bit as good as Makar as seen in his first season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad