Confirmed Signing with Link: [DAL] Miro Heiskanen signs extension with the Stars (8 years, $8.45M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Great player but horrible deal. I would fire every GM who offer more than 7 m/season to defender or goalie in the salarycap era.

Dallas just gave statement that they are not contender in the upcoming season unless they can move Pavelski or Radulov.

If you negotiate an 8yr deal with your most valuable player and get it for <8,5M when he is 21yr old, it`s a good deal. It covers all his prime years. This is not a 5yr deal as Rantanen, Marner, Matthews etc.
There is a reson you aren`t a GM - A good D is everything you want if you wanna succeed. Just take a look at Winnipeg and Toronto... Goalies I agree with, but if you think you can win without defence - think again.

Reactions: Nate070

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Great player but horrible deal. I would fire every GM who offer more than 7 m/season to defender or goalie in the salarycap era.

Dallas just gave statement that they are not contender in the upcoming season unless they can move Pavelski or Radulov.

How is Dallas not a contender? How would moving Pavelski or Rads change that also? LOL

Must of been a wild Friday night

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It's paying for what he is now. We are in an era where elite RFAs will be paid what they're worth, and UFAs will be less overpaid than previously.

He hasn't played like an 8 million dollar defenseman outside of the one playoff run though, which means it is for "potential". I'd say a lot of elite RFAs are getting long term deals at the rate it's projected they'll be worth over the course of the deal, not necessarily the player they are when they signed, which has its risks, though is still less risky than paying guys into their 30s for what they've done in the past.

Reactions: The Moose is Loose

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They can love them all they want. I still hate 8 year deals. I didn't say it was going to backfire or be bad for them. 8 year deals are always risky, no matter what age.
Sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn’t. Better to take that swing coming off elc than at 28 when’s player his ufa.

Keller got term and hasn’t replicated his rookie year. So, always risk.

Reactions: The Moose is Loose

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
This seems really expensive imo, Dallas had no choice but to sign him to essentially whatever he asked for, but 8.5 million is a lot considering his accomplishments. Definitely no discount.

Im worried this means Makar (and Fox) are both going to be over 10 mil per year.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
16 months older vs tied for youngest Norris winner alongside Orr. Tough trade-off here........

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Very good deal for both sides. Him and Klingberg pretty much eliminated the Flames themselves on their playoff run

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
They are now. Most were hoping Makar to get 8.8-9.2ish AAV

Now all of a sudden Heiskanen just got the richest AAV for a defenseman coming off their ELC ever and Makar who is in the exact same situation literally just doubled Heiskanen’s production. Colorado are f***ed lol.

With the Johnson deal ending soon and losing Landeskog as a UFA how are the f***ed ?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
With the Johnson deal ending soon and losing Landeskog as a UFA how are the f***ed ?

Johnson deal doesn't end for 2 more years, which is the same year Mackinnon's contract is up.

So basically all 6M of EJs cap hit will transfer over to Mackinnon, likely with additional cap as Mack probably signs in the neighborhood of 13-14M.

Landeskog isn't necessarily gone yet but honestly if Cale is getting 10.5+ we probably cant afford Landy and Grubuaer so one of them is gone.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The amount of people who open up EliteProspects.com and look at his stats line and then make a comment in this thread is very funny.
Question isn’t whether he’s good, it’s whether his actual results so far warrants the term and cap hit. Especially with cap supposed to stay flat for a few years.
I mean what do you give guys like Makar/Fox who have produced a lot more, gotten Norris consideration and aren’t bad defensively?

Helsinki city boy

Jun 2, 2019
Helsinki
How is Dallas not a contender? How would moving Pavelski or Rads change that also? LOL

Must of been a wild Friday night

That core is just mediocre. They need top goalie and secondary shutdonw guy.

I’d have offered bridge deal to Heiskanen to see what he really has when they play full season and invest to decent goalie and 3rd pair defenders.

Reactions: GordonGraham

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017

I’d have offered bridge deal to Heiskanen to see what he really has when they play full season and invest to decent goalie and 3rd pair defenders.

Yes, invest into a decent goalie when we have Bishop, Khudboin, and Oettinger currently on the team.

Do people here watch Dallas at all? I'm confused.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
Seeing this contract makes me so happy Sweeney is a master of RFA signings. No way we give McAvoy a contract this fat.

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
thats-a-lot-of-damage-30435434.png

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary

Heiskanen has already played 3 seasons, id imagine they have a good idea of what hes like

Dallas has enough cap to sign another top 4 dman, whether its Oleksiak or someone else

The only question mark I also have is goaltending. IF Bishop can come back and stay healthy then Dallas has no problems there, but if not then its hard to say

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad