Player Discussion Dakota Joshua | Shut up and give him his money!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
i like Joshua but not at the cost of a mass overpay. let toronto do that.

if he was 23, then yes, you 1000% need to keep him and if its a slight overpay, that's okay.
But the guy is 30. lightly used...but still 30.

based on the updated information coming out i think the leafs or some other club might give him money in the range of high 3's or mid 4's

also, in real life, the guy is a cheap @SS. this is a 'take my word for it' type comment but i know for a fact he is a super cheapskate.

• Wow
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB

if he was 23, then yes, you 1000% need to keep him and if its a slight overpay, that's okay.

based on the updated information coming out i think the leafs or some other club might give him money in the range of high 3's or mid 4's

also, in real life, the guy is a cheap @SS. this is a 'take my word for it' type comment but i know for a fact he is a super cheapskate.

You can't just drop a juicy nugget like that and not give us any deets 🥺🥺🥺🥺

Reactions: Nucker101

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser

I'll take a team of cheapskates, thieves and brigands if it means a cup.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

He turned 28 last month.

Depending on term, somewhere between $3.5M to $4M is pretty reasonable. We were rumoured to have been interested in Jordan Greenway who makes $3M. Marcus Foligno makes $4M. Engvall makes $3M on a long term deal.

Ok... and? What's wrong with being a cheapskate? I mean you thought the guy was 30 and he probably has made less than $3M before tax in his career. It's a lot compared to the average joe but good for him if he's careful with his money.
Probs didn’t tip enough at a restaurant and ate during happy hour
Ya and the expectations of some servers are ridiculous these days. Like if you're a celebrity you are expected to tip 100% or leave a $100-$500 tip.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Let me guess, the stories are about Joshua not tipping like people believe a celebrity "should"?

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver

Why would any of us care if he's a cheapskate? lol

Reactions: Nucker101

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
joshua's career earnings are probably only really like ~400k usd after taxes, agents and escrow. i know that sounds like a lot but considering he's been doing this professionally for five years (or nearly a decade if you count ncaa) that's not really much. he's not exactly balling out

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
joshua's career earnings are probably only really like ~400k usd after taxes, agents and escrow. i know that sounds like a lot but considering he's been doing this professionally for five years (or nearly a decade if you count ncaa) that's not really much. he's not exactly balling out
His career earning is $1.6M. He’s pocketing more than 25% after taxes, fees and deductions..

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Capfriendly has it estimated to be $1,580,491 pre-taxes/agents/etc.

Using their income tax calculator to get a very rough idea of what it is after that, it would be around 735k USD

Edit: whoops, doesn't account for the money he made this season. Total would probably be around $1.0-1.15 mil after tax/fees/etc

Last edited:

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
escrow is like 18%, agents fees 3-5%. so maybe 550-600k total. still not living large
From what I've read escrow was 6% this year and maybe last year as well, and he made almost all his money in that time.

But ultimately yeah, he hasn't made nearly as much as longer-term established NHLers. So I don't blame him in the slightest for looking for the biggest payout he can get, since this could very well be his last NHL contract.

Reactions: theguardianII

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
From what I've read escrow was 6% this year and maybe last year as well, and he made almost all his money in that time.

But ultimately yeah, he hasn't made nearly as much as longer-term established NHLers.
The esgrow debt is supposed to be paid off. 1+ billion for teams to split.
The NHL announces next years cap soon don't they? So far all I can find are comments, no NHL releases about it, estimates and such.

Joshua should get a bump but not a crazy one. Maybe triple his cap hit for 2 years just to see if this is a one off.

He also gets playoff money which for him might be more than his contract.

rea

Feb 8, 2011
The esgrow debt is supposed to be paid off. 1+ billion for teams to split.
The NHL announces next years cap soon don't they? So far all I can find are comments, no NHL releases about it, estimates and such.

Joshua should get a bump but not a crazy one. Maybe triple his cap hit for 2 years just to see if this is a one off.

He also gets playoff money which for him might be more than his contract.
Don't think nhlers make money in playoffs.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Trade for Beck Malenstyn or Alexsey Toropchenko to replace Joshua. Also maybe sign Radim Zohorna as a UFA as a 13th forward/AHL callup as I see him having some upside given the right opportunity.

Nopefully

Nov 11, 2023

But ultimately yeah, he hasn't made nearly as much as longer-term established NHLers. So I don't blame him in the slightest for looking for the biggest payout he can get, since this could very well be his last NHL contract.
Not to mention our ludicrous costs of living in Vancouver. This sounds funny to say but $1 Milly isn't a lot of money in Canada.

Reactions: theguardianII

Ita

Mar 11, 2019

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Someone going to pay for him and watch him turn into Tanner Jeannot. 😂

I'd like him but not paying a guy that just shot 5% over his average. Bottom 6 and PK guy. That's what he was.

I think he’s still finding his upside, but if he’s looking to cash in, we are going to have to do what Allvin said - find the next Dakota Joshua, rather than paying through the nose for Dakota himself.

I don’t want him to go, but if he indeed is chasing a bag of cash, we may have to let him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad