Player Discussion Dakota Joshua | Shut up and give him his money!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Blake Coleman has earned his keep every season. If he was popping 30 goals on a consistent basis he'd be one of the biggest recent UFA bargains. Tilts the ice in 5v5 play, is a good PKer, misses very few games and he averages 20 goals per 82 games despite not getting much PP time. He's what the Canucks hoped that Mikheyev would be.
Every article about Blake Coleman has said that his first two seasons were very underwhelming. Not a single article I just viewed said that he played up to his contract in the first two seasons.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Every article about Blake Coleman has said that his first two seasons were very underwhelming. Not a single article I just viewed said that he played up to his contract in the first two seasons.

Coleman is a very consistent, well-rounded and durable player who helps his team in a lot of ways. Not really a PP guy so his scoring stats don't stand out but he's a good 5v5 goal scorer. He got more ice time this season with Calgary losing their high-end LW talents, plus he scored a bunch of goals into empty nets, so he hit the 30 mark and suddenly people think he jumped up as a player,

Reactions: F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Coleman is a very consistent, well-rounded and durable player who helps his team in a lot of ways. Not really a PP guy so his scoring stats don't stand out but he's a good 5v5 goal scorer. He got more ice time this season with Calgary losing their high-end LW talents, plus he scored a bunch of goals into empty nets, so he hit the 30 mark and suddenly people think he jumped up as a player,

Yep. His first season in Calgary when Calgary actually made the playoffs, Coleman had 16 goals 38 points. It was a 6x$4.9M contract to a player turning 30 in a flat cap environment. Good player that many here liked but that’s a risky contract. Most players don’t have a career year at age 32.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Yep. His first season in Calgary when Calgary actually made the playoffs, Coleman had 16 goals 38 points. It was a 6x$4.9M contract to a player turning 30 in a flat cap environment. Good player that many here liked but that’s a risky contract. Most players don’t have a career year at age 32.
Blake Coleman got that contract because he is an extremely good 5v5 player and he's been the best penalty killing forward for years. He's an absolute burner that generates a ton of chances short handed and buries a lot of them (leads the league in short handed goals since he became an NHL regular). I think people underestimate the value of these types of players (next up for a payday will be McLeod next summer). Short handed goals are massive momentum flippers/generators and guys that shut down PPs and generate chances short handed are important and they get paid. The is precisely the reason we brought Mikheyev in...to be this player. Another candidate that they should have been grooming for this kind of role is Sam Lafferty.

Joshua is a good penalty killer, but he'll never be a Coleman kind of threat short handed because he isn't nearly a good enough skater. I do think there's a chance he could be a 20-30 goal guy....particularly if he works on the PP.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I know a lot of people didn't like that contract but I thought it was fine. He struck me as a guy whose game would probably age well and that's turning out to be the case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad