Prospect Info: (D) Nolan Allan - 2021 32nd Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Imagine bragging about predicting 1 of 2 outcomes correctly (they were never gonna take a goalie).
Not sure if that was the case but it would have been a better forecast if he claimed they would choose a big, hard-hitting, defensive Dman - a refreshing change from the picks of the recent past.

Reactions: RayP

Cubs2024wildcard

Hung out with Livvy Dunne. You didnt.
Apr 29, 2015
Not sure if that was the case but it would have been a better forecast if he claimed they would choose a big, hard-hitting, defensive Dman - a refreshing change from the picks of the recent past.
Well, I know they were interested in Lambos, a hard hitting defenseman, and Svozil or whoever you spell his name, a rock solid defensive defenseman.

My sources know a thing or two.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Yes.

With a late 1st, a second pairing D-man is a good get.

Absolutely not. This board needs to stop its constant Murphy slander. Allan will never be at Murphy's level.

This draft did not suck.

There wasn't an elite talent available per se, but Kirsanov was the best shutdown defender available. If that's what the Hawks want out of Allan, that's a huge mistake not picking Kirsanov instead. Morrow was the best skating defender with size available. If that's what the Hawks want out of Allan, that's a huge mistake not picking Morrow instead. I also think Simon Robertsson is going to be a good two way winger which is more than Allan will be. And we could have also taken Logan Stankoven who could easily be a 20 goal scorer in the league.

There was a lot of talent left on the board. Can't believe I'm seeing revisionist history here already.

So again, none of this is consensus, all just your opinion that you think is above everything.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
So again, none of this is consensus, all just your opinion that you think is above everything.
Sure it's opinion, but I know what I'm talking about.

And for the record, Nolan Allan was a consensus 3rd round pick. So I'm not alone.

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
From the Nolan Allan page at Elite Prospects...

2021 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #101 by FCHockey
2021 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #89 by McKeen's Hockey
2021 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #59 by TSN/McKenzie
2021 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #40 by NHL Central Scouting

Note that the Central Scouting is North American skaters.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019

And for the record, Nolan Allan was a consensus 3rd round pick. So I'm not alone.

I didn’t say he wasn’t. I said there wasn’t a consensus pick for the Hawks in that spot. Just a bunch of “meh” options that may or may not work out.

Strong likelihood that most of those guys you listed won’t be anything special.

Reactions: Cubs2024wildcard

Cubs2024wildcard

Apr 29, 2015
Well, this draft was an interesting one.

Because of the pandemic, most scouts actually admitted to tape over seeing players live. I don’t recall that ever happening before.

That said, I trust the Hawks scouts and the direction they are going. They have obviously addressed getting bigger and tougher and Allan, no matter what anybody says, was shooting up the draft board and wouldn’t have lasted past the second pick in the second round.

Not one person who feeds me info said this was a bad pick or a reach. Not one. That’s good enough for me then make believe scouts.

He got some comparisons to Seabrook but he’s more a Hammer type who isn’t afraid to lay the body and will do whatever it takes to keep the puck out his own net.

He’s gonna be solid

Reactions: BobbyJet

Cubs2024wildcard

Apr 29, 2015
I didn’t say he wasn’t. I said there wasn’t a consensus pick for the Hawks in that spot. Just a bunch of “meh” options that may or may not work out.

Strong likelihood that most of those guys you listed won’t be anything special.
Who you kidding?

None of those guys will be special.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Can you reference a single prospect you were pumping the tires of over the years, that you actually turned out to be correct on? Just one. With quoted citations.
You have to be patient.

I've only been hyping up prospects since like 2018.

You gotta wait for them to pan out.

But feel free to look at me having Quinn Hughes as the 3rd best player from his draft class, and saying the Hawks should select Kirby Dach.

The rest will follow in due time.

cassac

Sep 19, 2013

Just like Strome and Mitchell? I hope that Mitchell turns out to be a solid second pairing that can QB the second PP, but your takes in general are bad (almost horrible).

Reactions: HawksDub89

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
You have to be patient.

But feel free to look at me having Quinn Hughes as the 3rd best player from his draft class, and saying the Hawks should select Kirby Dach.

What a stretch to pump the tires of a guy drafted 7th overall... :laugh:

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Expectations?

A 2nd pairing D is a success, but there should be an outside shot at something more. It doesn't look like there is with Allan unless he makes massive strides offensively.
FFS ... not all Dmen need to be offensive juggernauts. There is always room for a guy like Allan in the NHL game. What I don't get is why it needs to be explained. It is not a video game!

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
You have to be patient.

Only time will tell if you were right about Dach. Obviously his injury last season set him back but I do agree with you that he is going to be a stud. You've missed far more than you've hit though on "your guys". I do commend you on your writeups, evaluations etc. on here but you also have to learn to stop being so nauseating on your "I'm smarter than hockey scouts, this guy is generational, etc" crap.

Reactions: BondraTime

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
....he said, completely ignoring the world of difference between a 1st rounder, say the 6th pick for example, and the 32nd pick.....
You still want players with an outside chance for top pairing/1st line in the 2nd round.

There are a lot of 2nd rounders over the years that became 1st liners/top pairing D. Kucherov was a 2nd rounder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad