Prospect Info: (D) Nolan Allan - 2021 32nd Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
So now we need credentials just to discuss prospects on HF boards? Lol @Kevin Musto better pull out your “I played at a high level card” or you’re screwed.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I mean it's typical with some people, especially on a message board right. Their own opinion needs no justification but they will critique yours down to the last little detail and require a different standard.

Just no point in talking in absolutes. Musto clearly watches more of these guys than 99% of this board.

Reactions: Styles

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
There's a big difference between having opinions and presenting yourself as an expert. Musto has put his opinion on prospects above all hockey writers and everyone here, and has said he knows more than them. Check out some recent posts, he actually says he is a better talent scout than all of those paid to be one.

If you're going to put yourself above, or even among, professional hockey scouts, expect to be credentialed.
Everyone does this but the difference is that readers( us) don't think he is as good as we thought he was. There for he gets extra shit for time been.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

I mean it's typical with some people, especially on a message board right. Their own opinion needs no justification but they will critique yours down to the last little detail and require a different standard.

Just no point in talking in absolutes. Musto clearly watches more of these guys than 99% of this board.

The bold is not really true. I know i will explain my reasoning any and every time while going into smaller details. I do think as a poster you have to be willing to do this if you are going to be ultra critical or claim “my opinion os the best” like Musto did.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

Just because someone watches more, doesnt mean they know what they are watching. (Unrelated to Musto, just a statement.)

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Just because someone watches more, doesnt mean they know what they are watching. (Unrelated to Musto, just a statement.)

No it doesn't, true. But it's a little hypocritical to question or dismiss their opinion (not saying that's you) as someone who hasn't even seen the guys play, but just reads public reports.

Not everyone's doing it, but there is a lot of that happening.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
I don’t believe anyone who doesn’t get paid for it watched enough hockey this year to be confident in rankings of players outside the top 10. There’s no way you watched the Blackhawks and caught enough of these 15-20 game seasons while holding down a job/going to school. There’s just not enough time in the day unless it’s your full time profession. Highlights and stats can only tell you so much.

plus i think you need to see defensman live to properly valuate them. There’s so much going on outside of the puck that you need to get a full scope on. You can’t see how they read the play on TV.

Reactions: Pez68

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
No it doesn't, true. But it's a little hypocritical to question or dismiss their opinion (not saying that's you) as someone who hasn't even seen the guys play, but just reads public reports.

Not everyone's doing it, but there is a lot of that happening.
Did you really just say we shouldn't question the opinion of another poster? Isn't that pretty much exactly what this site is about? Are we just supposed to assume that, because he says he watches more prospects, we should take his opinion as gospel?

When someone states their opinion as strongly as Musto, and his opinion directly opposes that of professional writers, I don't see any reason why I can't question it.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I’ve notice the attitude around here being more of you can only have an opinion if you’ve watched a player and that it’s not ok to form one off of reports and news articles about said player.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Did you really just say we shouldn't question the opinion of another poster? Isn't that pretty much exactly what this site is about? Are we just supposed to assume that, because he says he watches more prospects, we should take his opinion as gospel?

When someone states their opinion as strongly as Musto, and his opinion directly opposes that of professional writers, I don't see any reason why I can't question it.

That's not what I meant, i worded it too strongly then.

My issues is with the guys saying his opinion is clearly wrong, and he should provide proof etc.

Based on what high ground lol?

Providing counter arguments and discussion is great. Don't care if it's based on limited highlights, I don't scout watching full games either.

But to act like you can tell him what he says is bad and incorrect... When you yourself for sure are on no basis to be more educated on the subject.

Again not saying it's you. It's always the same exact guys here who are the judgment police. It's hypocritical.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
I also love people giving posters shit for calling out Musto and being critical....when he's bad mouthing and talking shit about people who do this for a living. What?

Different story when they are calling him out because we drafted a guy who had no business going in the first round and the only thing people point to is this hockey writer said different. When they also had him ranked accordingly in the second or third. But hockey writers are the be all end all for prospects. So if they had good things to say it’s all good. It’s also pretty annoying about how much people fight for the pick. Like they were sitting there screaming take Nolan Allen with this pick now! Once we draft players posters get unreasonably defensive of the pick for some reason. Just my 2 cents.

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO
I dont have kids so the prospects are my children… and Papa bear don’t let no one f*** with his pack, big facts.

but for real.. Allan was not my choice and I was real confused by the pick, still kind of am… but hey dude has a skillset that we do lack/need on the blueline. I really see him as filling the same role hammer did during his time here and lets be honest if he ends up 1/3 of what hammer was it wasnt a bad pick.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Murphy won’t be here by the time Allan is ready. McCabe might not either.
What do you see in Allan that we can't get in Beaudin, Mitchell, Kalynuk, Stillman, Kaiser, Phillips, Vlasic, Regula, Demin, Crevier?

Because I sure as hell fail to see anything unique.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
What do you see in Allan that we can't get in Beaudin, Mitchell, Kalynuk, Stillman, Kaiser, Phillips, Vlasic, Regula, Demin, Crevier?

Defend the zone entries great, win puck battles, and get the pucks out of the dzone or high danger areas.

About 2 there look to have a higher clear path at defense in that manner in that way. Vlasic and Wyatt Kaiser at their play levels

Reactions: Pez68 and Giovi

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO

I hear that but most of those guys are not pure defensive defenseman or even LHD/ play both sides.

What I see is a calming defensive D that should be a very nice complementary piece for the team, possibly someone you even listed.

Reactions: Giovi

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Defend the zone entries great, win puck battles, and get the pucks out of the dzone or high danger areas.
If you watch him play, he doesn't actually do these things.

Feel free to quote whatever media outlets that say otherwise and regurgitate each other's info.

But I'm telling you right now he doesn't and that's a fact.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Why is it taboo in this day and age to call people out on their bullshit? I just don't get it.

I've seen you say this so many times by now. If you want to use this logic, then it's not tabooing that's happening, it's just calling out your bullshit.

It's an incredibly flawed logic, because everytime you assume youre opinion and stance is 100% correct and 'so you're just calling out bad takes'. Delusional.

And on the subject, it's not so much defending Musto, but I personally think it's funny to dismiss a guy's opinion as bullshit who does way more studying on the subject than you do. Like choose between two opinions - where one is formulated after extensive work and the other isn't at all, which one is more likely to hold more weight?

Entirely different story when it's a discussion with actual counter points, differing ideas etc. But so many times here it's just 'lol' 'imagine blabla' 'do you even hockey' instead of a normal discussion... That's not 'calling out bullshit opinions' at all.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad