Prospect Info: (D) Nolan Allan - 2021 32nd Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
The odds of a guy like Allan growing into a top pairing Dman is probably not realistic.... but that's okay. He is the unsung type who, while effective, will not get the accolades that other flashier players get. We recently saw it in spades for Team Canada. Barely 18, he's already a solid defender who plays hard-nosed hockey and will only get bigger and better. Something that is much needed in Chicago and is very welcome. I look forward to witnessing his progress.

Last edited:

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I like Musto's takes. I don't agree with all of them, and regarding prospects I would be out of my depth to even weigh in. But this place would be really boring if no one challenged conventional opinions.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I like Musto's takes. I don't agree with all of them, and regarding prospects I would be out of my depth to even weigh in. But this place would be really boring if no one challenged conventional opinions.
I'd prefer to listen to scouts and most insiders who should know of what they speak. For example:
Skating

Allan is a solid skater, especially given his size. His mobility allows him to play a solid defensive game. He has a good stride in both directions and is especially quick going backwards. His crossovers are strong and efficient. They allow him to pick up speed while defending, and also give him good lateral movement to maintain his gap control. His agility is also very good and it is tough to get around him in one-on-one situations. Allan is strong on his skates. He is tough to knock off the puck. He also does a good job of winning battles along the boards and in front of the net. Allan should only continue to get better at this aspect of his game as he continues to mature and get stronger.
Offensive Game

What you see is what you get with Allan’s offence. There is not a lot there. Rather it is his defensive game that is his calling card. Allan makes a good first pass to start the transition game but does not carry the puck up the ice himself very often. He is also not the type to join the rush as a trailer, preferring to stick to his defensive responsibilities. In the offensive zone, he lacks offensive instincts. Allan moves the puck quickly, taking the safe pass instead of being patient at the line and finding scoring opportunities.
Allan can also work on his shot. He doesn’t use his lateral mobility well enough to open up shooting lanes. As a result, Allan’s slapshot can either hit the defender’s shinpads or miss the net. He is a bit more effective with his wrist shot though. He has good power and a quick release on it. However, Allan does not shoot enough. Again he prefers the safe pass around the perimeter of the zone and asks teammates to do the offensive work. He is also pretty safe at the blue line. He does not pinch in to keep the play alive very often.
Defensive Game

Allan is an excellent defender for his age. He is very physical and will throw a big hit if an attacker comes down his side of the ice with his head down. He maintains very good gap control and funnels attackers to the outside and away from the net. If they try to sneak by him, he will lower the boom. Allan also likes to step up in the neutral zone to throw these hits or to make a poke check and cut off the attack before it even reaches the defensive zone.
In the zone, Allan is physical in defending the cycle along the boards and fights for loose pucks. He also does a good job of keeping the front of the net clear. Allan is strong positionally, with his active stick cutting down passing lanes. He reads the play well, anticipating the plays of opponents and cutting them off. Allan is particularly strong on the penalty kill, maintaining his position and cutting off passing and shooting lanes. He also does a good job of preventing the opponents from setting up and getting the puck down the ice. When a turnover is created, he is able to move the puck up the ice quickly with a pass, helping his team transition to offence.
The full report can be found here:
2021 NHL Draft #68: Nolan Allan Scouting Report - LWOS

As well, Hawks could use more of this:

Last edited:

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
Isn’t that blog or whatever you linked a bunch of no name hacks that just spam their stuff or am I confusing them with another?
The link is from the BobbyJet post. I was pointing out the disconnect of his post.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
And this particular "insider" ranked Allan at #68 which supports Musto's view.
2021 NHL Draft #68: Nolan Allan Scouting Report - LWOS
The ranking number aside, chances were Hawks would not get him with a later pick (not to mention they would also have missed out on Dach's brother). The views are the polar opposite to what Musto states. With observations such as:
Allan is an excellent defender for his age. In the zone, Allan is physical in defending the cycle along the boards and fights for loose pucks. He also does a good job of keeping the front of the net clear. Allan is strong positionally, with his active stick cutting down passing lanes.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
The ranking number aside, chances were Hawks would not get him with a later pick (not to mention they would also have missed out on Dach's brother). The views are the polar opposite to what Musto states. With observations such as:
Allan is an excellent defender for his age. In the zone, Allan is physical in defending the cycle along the boards and fights for loose pucks. He also does a good job of keeping the front of the net clear. Allan is strong positionally, with his active stick cutting down passing lanes.
They definitely reached down to take him. Whether or not it was worth it, only time will tell.

But as a prospect, Mustos' evaluation of him has been completely out of sync with pretty much every reputable talent evaluator.

Reactions: Pez68 and BobbyJet

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
They definitely reached down to take him. Whether or not it was worth it, only time will tell.

But as a prospect, Mustos' evaluation of him has been completely out of sync with pretty much every reputable talent evaluator.

This

You might not like the pick, but Musto always has these insanely fabricated scouting reports of guys he doesn’t like. “Terrible skater, awful IQ”

You lose a little credibility when you’re literally the only one with that view.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
None of you have watched him play. You're just buying into what hockey media is telling you.

USE YOUR EYES.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
None of you have watched him play. You're just buying into what hockey media is telling you.

USE YOUR EYES.
So, there's a universal conspiracy among hockey writers to lie about which prospects are good and which are bad? And they all get together to cite the same attributes for each prospect?

Sounds logical.

newmanager

Feb 5, 2010
I scout hockey. I have an understanding of the game that Nolan Allan fans clearly lack.
Hey that's awesome. What arenas do you go to? I attend Edmonton, Red Deer, Prince Albert and Saskatoon games whenever possible. No plans for visiting Red Deer this year though. I'm not a scout. Just like watching while on trips. Can't wait for the season to start. No more drinking weak coffee and eating cold hot dogs. Good food in the arenas nowadays. I thought Allan was pretty darn good in the Dub for his age although I didn't go to games since the arena closures. Only time I'd seen him since was at the U18's on TV and in my view he still looked like a solid defender.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Hey that's awesome. What arenas do you go to? I attend Edmonton, Red Deer, Prince Albert and Saskatoon games whenever possible. No plans for visiting Red Deer this year though. I'm not a scout. Just like watching while on trips. Can't wait for the season to start. No more drinking weak coffee and eating cold hot dogs. Good food in the arenas nowadays. I thought Allan was pretty darn good in the Dub for his age although I didn't go to games since the arena closures. Only time I'd seen him since was at the U18's on TV and in my view he still looked like a solid defender.
He was solid in defending for Team Canada as well...pretty much lived up to his scouting report.

Reactions: Giovi, BK and Pez68

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Why do you know what you are talking about? What is your background that helps with this? Did you play? Have sports science background?

So now we need credentials just to discuss prospects on HF boards? Lol @Kevin Musto better pull out your “I played at a high level card” or you’re screwed.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
So now we need credentials just to discuss prospects on HF boards? Lol @Kevin Musto better pull out your “I played at a high level card” or you’re screwed.
There's a big difference between having opinions and presenting yourself as an expert. Musto has put his opinion on prospects above all hockey writers and everyone here, and has said he knows more than them. Check out some recent posts, he actually says he is a better talent scout than all of those paid to be one.

If you're going to put yourself above, or even among, professional hockey scouts, expect to be credentialed.

Reactions: Pez68

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
There's a big difference between having opinions and presenting yourself as an expert. Musto has put his opinion on prospects above all hockey writers and everyone here, and has said he knows more than them. Check out some recent posts, he actually says he is a better talent scout than all of those paid to be one.

If you're going to put yourself above, or even among, professional hockey scouts, expect to be credentialed.

And until I see the people that criticize him post their own list every year. I’ll wait.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad