Prospect Info: (D) Nolan Allan - 2021 32nd Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
You're right. And so were all the credible talent evaluators that said Michael Dal Colle was elite.

Just keeping slurping up what hockey media tells you.
This is not complicated. Del Colle was elite in Junior. It doesn't always translate to an NHL career.

Are you really so delusional that you think you're sharper than NHL scouts and professional hockey talent evaluators? Really?....

Reactions: Pez68

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
This is not complicated. Del Colle was elite in Junior. It doesn't always translate to an NHL career.

Are you really so delusional that you think you're sharper than NHL scouts and professional hockey talent evaluators? Really?....

I haven't seen any scouts or talent evaluators (other than the Blackhawks) grade Allan as a first round pick. Based on what are you claiming otherwise?

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
I haven't seen any scouts or talent evaluators (other than the Blackhawks) grade Allan as a first round pick. Based on what are you claiming otherwise?
Reading comprehension is a thing. I never said he was worthy of a first round pick, in fact I said it wasn't a particularly strong pick. Mustos assertion is he can't defend. I pointed out his evaluation is well off the mark compared to professional talent evaluators, all of which say he can.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Okay. That explains why you're writing widely ignored or derided talent evaluations for free on a chat site.
I'm right about Allan. You'll see.
The temper tantrums and outbursts, not to mention how wildly wrong he was with Strome and possibly Mitchell, make him hard to take seriously.
I was never wrong about Strome. Any hyperbolic claims were made for fun.

The reality is I think he's a better player than Nick Schmaltz and I think that trade was a win for the Hawks.

He is a good player, and much of the hate he gets is unwarranted. It is true that he didn't make the most out of his position last season and now he has a diminished role. If he doesn't come out swinging at the start of the season, it'll be increasingly clear that he won't have much of a place here. And that's okay because he can find a place elsewhere and do well.

Ian Mitchell has the upside to be a 2D. The amount of you writing him off after one season is laughable and pathetic.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

The reality is I think he's a better player than Nick Schmaltz and I think that trade was a win for the Hawks.

He is a good player, and much of the hate he gets is unwarranted. It is true that he didn't make the most out of his position last season and now he has a diminished role. If he doesn't come out swinging at the start of the season, it'll be increasingly clear that he won't have much of a place here. And that's okay because he can find a place elsewhere and do well.

Ian Mitchell has the upside to be a 2D. The amount of you writing him off after one season is laughable and pathetic.
Strome is not a good player

Reactions: Giovi

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

hmmmmm

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Reading comprehension is a thing. I never said he was worthy of a first round pick, in fact I said it wasn't a particularly strong pick. Mustos assertion is he can't defend. I pointed out his evaluation is well off the mark compared to professional talent evaluators, all of which say he can.

All I did was ask you a question. You needn’t be a dick.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

You put "I was never wrong about Strome" and "He is a good player" in the same post and want people to take you seriously?

Strome is a good player in no-check hockey. He doesn't have the fire, the strength, or the skating ability to be a good hockey player at the NHL level. He's a gigantic p***y, more or less. He's also an idiot, as he believe he's a center, and won't commit to playing wing. Probably because he doesn't like to, and fails, playing along the wall.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

You put "I was never wrong about Strome" and "He is a good player" in the same post and want people to take you seriously?

Strome is a good player in no-check hockey. He doesn't have the fire, the strength, or the skating ability to be a good hockey player at the NHL level. He's a gigantic p***y, more or less. He's also an idiot, as he believe he's a center, and won't commit to playing wing. Probably because he doesn't like to, and fails, playing along the wall.
The Strome that put up 51 points in 58 games is a good hockey player. So is the one that put up 38 points in 58 games.

This last season (17 points in 40 games) is an outlier.

Why you use that as your barometer for his ability is beyond me.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
The Strome that put up 51 points in 58 games is a good hockey player. So is the one that put up 38 points in 58 games.

This last season (17 points in 40 games) is an outlier.

Why you use that as your barometer for his ability is beyond me.

I'm using my f***ing eyes. There's a reason he's still on the Hawks. Nobody else in the NHL wants him. He's not a guy conducive to winning. He can put up points playing with elite talent, but that's because he can't find the defensive zone with a map. He sucks.

It's hard to NOT put up points playing with DeBrincat and Kane.

Reactions: Giovi and Mrfenn92

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well ...no " talent evaluators" rated Nick Hjalmarsson as a 1stcround pick either...but I betcha recalling that draft,Hammer was far better than a lit of first rounders from his draft...so just because other "talent evaluators" mis-evaluated Hammer too low (3rd round was where he went to ys when others coukd have taken hom earlier....including the Hawks,why shoukd you bemoan us taking Allan?

Maybe he turns into a defensive Stewart lije Hammer did for us.

If you are drafting last in round one ,you will be very hOiy id you drafted a competent defenddr who turns into what Hammer did for us ...

Sure...no big offense...but impact digference-maker defending?Who woukd turn that down?

So obviously Hawks think they drafted defensive reliability with Allan.. Let others provide tge offensive flash stats.
Do you wanna ever again see such stick-wavibg feeble checking attempts tgat fail to stop the opos from barraging our net?Do you wanna see sich part tge gap lije tge Red Sea for such easy pathgscto our net ever again?Do you wann see ever again tge opos keeping possession for such lengthy times in our zone and none of our D can separate them from the puck?Certainly Mitchell with his great "ceiking" was incapable of that ...And so the ceiling of Allan is instead His Comptency in defending and that to me is a breath of fresh air.

I woukd ratger have tgat type of ceiling than the over hyped ceiling expressed by too many for Mitchell who is too small.,too slow(compared to what we were all led to believe) and akso not possessing an ekute shot ,such tgat any "ceiling " he wsxsuoosed to have seems reduced to a figment of somebody's imagination..

Mitchell is no Makar ...But too many on this board had expectations he could impact to that degree...
When tgeceye test came we started noticing alk the shortco ings and tge gap between expected performance to actual then became startling and obvious..

Some still laudctfar expected ceiling will be achieved with more playing experience I vote NHL ...I doubt it ..not big enough.. strong enough...fast enough..not special enough.

Allan need not be special...merely efgicientvand competent in the role hecwill be asked to perform which is to stop rushes at tgevkube. Seal and displace pucks of puck carriers...block shot...get to loose pucks firstcand make goid clears..Do all that and he willbe a very valued pick for where he was taken off tge board.. Anything else will be a bonus.

Hawkey

Sep 15, 2005
I’ve never ever watched Allan play and I’m not exactly thrilled with the pick. But if he has size, can skate and plays a physical game then he can learn how to play defense. I’ll wait to see how he develops before I pass judgement on this pick.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Duncan Keith was a crappy pick once upon a time. You never know with these guys.

And if the pick is whiff, well that happens too.

And go look at the recent history of 32nd overall picks. History says, usually a very meh player anyways. Although Hawks did take Dave Bolland there in 2004.

Reactions: BuddyTheGoon

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

And the bold represents the million-dollar question. Many players who look very good in Junior can't make the jump. Obviously, Hawks scouts feel that Allan's game at the age of 18 will eventually translate well to the NHL game.

Reactions: Giovi

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
And the bold represents the million-dollar question. Many players who look very good in Junior can't make the jump. Obviously, Hawks scouts feel that Allan's game at the age of 18 will eventually translate well to the NHL game.

I have no idea if he’ll be any good and I wouldn’t bother to guess. My issue is if they could have taken him later on, which seems quite likely.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009

So far, you definitely are not. You said he can't defend. At the level he's at, he certainly can.

I have never written him off. I think he has the potential to be a 2nd pair, #2 pp guy. What is laughable and pathetic is the overblown fan-boy hype you heaped upon him before he got here.

Reactions: Pez68

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad