D Logan Mailloux - Laval, AHL (2021, 31st, MTL)

holy

Demigod
May 22, 2017
How do you know what I meant lol? Of course I meant his age
Nah bro trust me I know what you meant. Only logical explanation is you meant his future start has already occurred well into the past.

The guy is so skilled he’s a time traveller.

Reactions: montreal

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Montreal's #1 prospect IMO.
Well, considering Slafkovsky and Guhle are graduates.
Is up there with Barron, Beck, Mesar, Hutson and Farrell. It comes down to preference, but they are all on the same tier IMO. Some are more boom or bust (Mailloux, Mesar, Hutson) some are more sure things (Barron, Beck).

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Well, considering Slafkovsky and Guhle are graduates.
Is up there with Barron, Beck, Mesar, Hutson and Farrell. It comes down to preference, but they are all on the same tier IMO. Some are more boom or bust (Mailloux, Mesar, Hutson) some are more sure things (Barron, Beck).

This is how I just recently ranked them, a very tough year to do so as I've been doing this for over 20 years and this is the most stacked and there's just so many prospects to follow that it's nearly impossible to get a really good read on all of them in just say 2 months.

But to me I see it as there are 6 prospects that I think you can make a solid case for #1 Hab prospect. Hutson is tops for me because as someone that has seen a ton of NCAA hockey going back to before when Mike Komisarek was at Michigan, Hutson just has that it factor that I also saw from Caufield. I liked Cole's skating and speed better, so if he can work on that and maybe get into the 175-185 range over say the next 5 years that should help him a lot as long as it doesn't impact him getting quicker.

There's Mailloux who I've seen almost every game he's played in the OHL since last year and he's really interesting in that he's kind of a Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. He often reminds me of Brent Burns when he's moving the puck up ice and in the offensive zone and other times he reminds me of Nathan Beaulieau when the puck is in his own end. But you would expect it due to missing just so much key development time that he's a project. The physical tools are legit NHL in size, skating, speed, mobility, strength. He will need to continue to add some mass and get stronger physically but when you mix his frame, mobility, skating, speed, size, shot, there's a lot to not just like but see how he could be a top pairing D on a playoff team. But there's a lot of work to do yet in his reads, reactions, so it will be up to the new development team as they have the chance to ice some major talent in these two alone.

I couldn't fault anyone that considers Sean Farrell the Habs top prospect. He's not tall but he's got a solid frame, he's so smart and a very skilled playmaker that can shoot it. His two way game is very solid and so he's a guy that in time could see NHL games on just about any line and not look out of place. I'm very impressed with what i've seen and can't wait to see him turn pro hopefully in a few months.

Mesar as the top prospect could be a bit of a tougher sell, especially with how great Hutson/Farrell's/Beck's season has been. And he's had some struggles on a team that on paper you wouldn't think would be one of the worst in the OHL. I think a trade would see his numbers shoot up, the speed, skating and offense are legit. He badly needs to add mass, strength, size but he has the chance to be electric. I haven't seen as much of him as the others though so we'll see when the season ends but the skill is high end for sure.

Beck if you just wanted to play it safe as he's just been so impressive at just about everything. Granted I didn't know him that well before the draft and badly wanted us to take Goyette instead but Beck since the development camp has done nothing but impress me at just about everything he does. He could be something really good but if not I would think it's a really safe bet that he ends up say a better Poehling, Chipchura, McCarron (can't think of any other former Hab 1st round picks that were 4th liners in the NHL)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
This guy was a steal.

way too soon to say but you can see the tools he has there's a lot to dream on. If he can be remotely close to a Brent Burns, it would be a huge steal for the Habs. But he's missed so much time, he's still raw and has a lot to learn with his decision making in his own end mostly. Going to be a lot of fun to see if the Habs can actually develop him as the new management team has talked a big game about development after the last group sucked ass at it but we'll see if they can walk the walk and not just talk the talk. So far I can't say I'm overly excited about the job they are doing outside of Caufield mostly.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Is that an Ove'chicken wrister?

In a year or two, the left side on a PP will be a biatch for goaltenders. If it isn't CC, it's going to be Mailloux.

So does Guhle take the right and fire from his off side?

Reactions: Just Linda

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
Is that an Ove'chicken wrister?

In a year or two, the left side on a PP will be a biatch for goaltenders. If it isn't CC, it's going to be Mailloux.

So does Guhle take the right and fire from his off side?
Ehh I’d pump the breaks that he will definitely be an NHLer in a year or two. Lotta runway until that hypothetical and it’s far from certain that he ever plays in the NHL. This isn’t a blue chip prospect.

Reactions: Wats

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
such a polarizing pick. obviously.
it's hard to distinguish the quality of the player
from the stupidity of the act, especially when
trying read his performance / projection and evaluation

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
such a polarizing pick. obviously.
it's hard to distinguish the quality of the player
from the stupidity of the act, especially when
trying read his performance / projection and evaluation
Pretty simple evaluation really.

Very good offensive defender that has major lapses in his own zone. He has the tools to be a much better player but his IQ is holding him back in both ends.

That’s my opinion.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Pretty simple evaluation really.

Very good offensive defender that has major lapses in his own zone. He has the tools to be a much better player but his IQ is holding him back in both ends.

That’s my opinion.
Low hockey IQ means he won’t amount to much as a pro then

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
To a large extent, you can teach defense IF the player has the speed, agility and the physical ability. Mailloux has that.

You can also teach offensive timing IF he wants' to learn and the processing to apply it.

One of the better toolbelts, not as good as Mailloux but pretty good one was Beaulieu. I lost half when I saw him deep in the offensive zone and doing absolutely nothing other then being out of position. OR missing his assignment because, well, he couldn't figure out who his assignment was. When he tried to play zone, he brain froze. He literally couldn't decide what to do, by which point, it was too late. The NHL level game is simply too fast for him. I can imagine if I was coaching him screaming at him "wtf were you thinking?" Beau did NOT have good coaching AND he had a slow processor on his shoulders. Almost as slow as Komisarek. His career stalled at journeyman AHL level and never progressed.
I don't know what Mailloux can do in NHL speed and defense vs processing the game. He's a long way from anyone judging him on that. If he follows the X/Guhle pattern of defense first and THEN take any opportunity to go on offense, he has an NHL career. If he's a gaff machine but can put up 60 points a year, he has an NHL career.

For his defensive game, what is an enormous benefit is skating and size, which can cover a heck of a lot of gaffs. Then is his ability to learn, which eventually diminishes those gaffs.

Examples of fail is...Komisarek with enormous size but average skating that never learned to see the game. Or Mete who has exceptional skating, sees the game well but way too small and his offense offends.

Before anyone attempts to judge Mailloux on what he can do, it's pretty worthless until he hits AHL and NHL. At this point, all we can say is that he has a great offensive game...at the OHL level.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $716.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $201.00