D Brandt Clarke - Ontario Reign, AHL (2021, 8th, LAK)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Even with the giveaway I thought he played great in the GMG.

Not the best tournament from him but none of the Canadian D looked good. He got in trouble trying to do too much at times, to me I'd rather see that from a highly drafted teenager than trying to do too little and not make an impact either way.

Revansky

Mar 17, 2013
Montreal
A bit all over the place, but the tools are impressive. He'll really need to learn to position himself better (in both the defensive and offensive zone), though, and choose his moments to pinch in the offensive zone. IQ is a bit questionnable on some plays, but maybe he'll learn in time. I like that he wants to be involved and can be an impactful player.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's a little disappointing that he didn't dominate, but he still ended up with the most points on Canada's D and was a +5 (in comparison, Zellweger was a 0). Even with the gaffes, it seems like he was a net asset and Canada might not have won gold without him.

Last edited:
Reactions: kinghock

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Such a Jekyll & Hyde player, one minute he makes you want to vomit the next he's making an incredible play.

Going to be interesting to see how his career turns out.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
It's a little disappointing that he didn't dominate, but he still ended up tied (with Zellweger) for the most points on Canada's D and was a +5 (to Zellweger's +1). Even with the gaffes, it seems like he was a net asset and Canada might not have won gold without him.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Clarke was the top point-getter among defense for Canada. 2 goals, 6 assists for 8 points in 7 games. Zellweger had 6 assists in 7 games. Both have bright futures in the NHL, in my opinion.

Reactions: BringTheReign

wasunder

Aug 21, 2014
Definitely a couple bad bad plays this tourney but overall a good tournament from him. Some of the takes I’ve seen regarding him around here lately you’d think he single handily lost us every game. Hating on him must be the cool thing to do now.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Clarke was the top point-getter among defense for Canada. 2 goals, 6 assists for 8 points in 7 games. Zellweger had 6 assists in 7 games. Both have bright futures in the NHL, in my opinion.
Ya zellweger had 6, Clarke 8 pts.

Zellweger was more of the go to guy for the team…. I didn’t think he played anywhere close to the lvl he played at the previous tournament. Thought Canada shoulda put Clarke on pp with bedard cause they were constantly putting zellweger on his off side when they set up… feel like Clarke woulda been more effective there on his strong side

I didn’t particularly think any dmen on Canada were comfortable in their own end…. Hinds may have been the best of the group .

Clarke will be a good nhl player…. Maybe leave some to desire defensively but fantastic offensively. He’s got a little cockiness to his game which I assume king fans will hate…. I think he’s kinda like the zegras of young dmen.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Personally I am not looking for a defenseman who is below average defensively and great offensively. I always hated that. The few NHL games he didnt look out of place but who knows.

Lubomir Visnovsky was not so great in the beginning either but I have yet to see him shoot the puck like Lubo. Clarke is surprisingly a lot involved in the goal crease. He is extremely eager.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Ya zellweger had 6, Clarke 8 pts.

Zellweger was more of the go to guy for the team…. I didn’t think he played anywhere close to the lvl he played at the previous tournament. Thought Canada shoulda put Clarke on pp with bedard cause they were constantly putting zellweger on his off side when they set up… feel like Clarke woulda been more effective there on his strong side

I didn’t particularly think any dmen on Canada were comfortable in their own end…. Hinds may have been the best of the group .

Clarke will be a good nhl player…. Maybe leave some to desire defensively but fantastic offensively. He’s got a little cockiness to his game which I assume king fans will hate…. I think he’s kinda like the zegras of young dmen.

I think the thing is, this tourney wasn't representative of the defense we've seen at the NHL level. Yeah, he's got a lot to learn to handle elite competition, but surrounded by pro puck support/system instead of a collection of random canadian forwards who sucked at supporting the defense, he was absolutely fantastic, there's a reason we were saying he was instantly our 2nd best dman. LOTS of room for growth, to be sure, but for a teenage dman playing 2nd pairing minutes on his offside while the team was a tire fire, he stood out. The puck was out of our zone in seconds each time no matter how many forecheckers came his way. You would think reading this thread that he's just Marc-Andre Bergeron when he instantly looked like Klingberg. Just absolutely top end IQ and shiftiness. Efficient.

The cockiness, absolutely. Everyone saw the worst of it in this tourney. The beavertailing, the aggressive plays, etc. But I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a p***ycat. At the NHL level, he showed infinitely more respect to his peers and opponents, and played a much better team game. But you can definitely see that Zegras/Doughty love-hate thing already showing up.

I don't think the month layoff helped, LA Kings brass big-brain prospect development at play is absolutely bat-shit insane. But this tourney wasn't representative of his overall game and he STILL led canada from the 2nd pairing and next to no PP time. If him not even remotely close to his best finds him there and dominating OT, I think we're pretty happy.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think the thing is, this tourney wasn't representative of the defense we've seen at the NHL level. Yeah, he's got a lot to learn to handle elite competition, but surrounded by pro puck support/system instead of a collection of random canadian forwards who sucked at supporting the defense, he was absolutely fantastic, there's a reason we were saying he was instantly our 2nd best dman. LOTS of room for growth, to be sure, but for a teenage dman playing 2nd pairing minutes on his offside while the team was a tire fire, he stood out. The puck was out of our zone in seconds each time no matter how many forecheckers came his way. You would think reading this thread that he's just Marc-Andre Bergeron when he instantly looked like Klingberg. Just absolutely top end IQ and shiftiness. Efficient.

The cockiness, absolutely. Everyone saw the worst of it in this tourney. The beavertailing, the aggressive plays, etc. But I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a p***ycat. At the NHL level, he showed infinitely more respect to his peers and opponents, and played a much better team game. But you can definitely see that Zegras/Doughty love-hate thing already showing up.

I don't think the month layoff helped, LA Kings brass big-brain prospect development at play is absolutely bat-shit insane. But this tourney wasn't representative of his overall game and he STILL led canada from the 2nd pairing and next to no PP time. If him not even remotely close to his best finds him there and dominating OT, I think we're pretty happy.
It’s kinda funny how under the microscope he was this tournament by team Canada fans. Seemed like fans were just waiting for a reason to jump on him

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad