D Brandt Clarke - Ontario Reign, AHL (2021, 8th, LAK)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Weight room and skating. He can have an ugly stride but that doesn’t mean it has to be ineffective.

Do they give these kids dedicated skating coaches? I know they do sometimes, like with Horvat as an example. But there are so many times it seems like teams completely neglect the skating aspect. Like with the Rangers and Laf. I was praying they'd assign him a dedicated skating "guru" as soon as he was drafted. But no such luck. And now a few years later he's floundering, largely I believe because of his skating and speed deficiency.

Anyway, no skating doesn't automatically mean ineffective, but it doesn't help. Especially in an increasingly faster and faster NHL. That would be one of the first things I would want to ensure if I was developing a young player. That their skating got as good as it could. It amazes me that every prospect coming through who skates average or below doesn't get stuck with a dedicated skating coach for a couple of years.

Reactions: Random Comment

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Do they give these kids dedicated skating coaches? I know they do sometimes, like with Horvat as an example. But there are so many times it seems like teams completely neglect the skating aspect. Like with the Rangers and Laf. I was praying they'd assign him a dedicated skating "guru" as soon as he was drafted. But no such luck. And now a few years later he's floundering, largely I believe because of his skating and speed deficiency.

Anyway, no skating doesn't automatically mean ineffective, but it doesn't help. Especially in an increasingly faster and faster NHL. That would be one of the first things I would want to ensure if I was developing a young player. That their skating got as good as it could. It amazes me that every prospect coming through who skates average or below doesn't get stuck with a dedicated skating coach for a couple of years.

I don't know who/what is in charge of that with LA (Emerson?) but they do a very good job getting 'bad' skaters to NHL average at the very least. Clarke would just be the latest. Toffoli was one. Kaliyev is another. Vilardi too.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
I don't know who/what is in charge of that with LA (Emerson?) but they do a very good job getting 'bad' skaters to NHL average at the very least. Clarke would just be the latest. Toffoli was one. Kaliyev is another. Vilardi too.

Ah that's good news. Because the Rangers absolutely suck at it. And Toffoli and Vilardi did improve from where they were at originally. Definitely.

Reactions: kinghock

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Not worried about his skating. Kings seem to have a recipe to fix it, Kaliyev, Toffoli, Vilardi all seem to be better skaters after some development.

Get some muscle on this kid and he'll be a legit elite D man.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Zero points over his last two games. Kid's a bust.

That lowers his season total to 10 goals and 26 points in 15 games.
Just stupid that he’s not lighting up the AHL this year. Something really has to be done for the development of players. If NHL wants more money developing star players properly is the way.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Just stupid that he’s not lighting up the AHL this year. Something really has to be done for the development of players. If NHL wants more money developing star players properly is the way.
Maybe, although LA’s AHL development experience during COVID didn’t go super well. Just ask Turcotte, who got two severe concussions from two separate goons in two years.

Maybe if everyone was allowed though, there would be less of those journeyman thug types?

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
Just a quick update: Clarke continues to demolish the OHL. He’s now up to 17th in OHL defensemen scoring with 39 points in 22 games. He’s only a few points away from the top ten and in striking distance of the top five before the season ends. He’s also just outside the top 100 in OHL scoring, despite playing fewer than half the amount of games as those ahead of him.

He looks really good.

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
Just a quick update: Clarke continues to demolish the OHL. He’s now up to 17th in OHL defensemen scoring with 39 points in 22 games. He’s only a few points away from the top ten and in striking distance of the top five before the season ends. He’s also just outside the top 100 in OHL scoring, despite playing fewer than half the amount of games as those ahead of him.

He looks really good.
Has his play without his stick improved?

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
Then he will never amount to anything.

giphy.gif

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

He looks really good.
Watched him live twice in the last two weeks, his skating is not an issue as some claim but he does cough up some ugly turnovers. The skill is plain to see, he just needs to bulk up and clean up the brain farts. He will never be as good as Doughty was but he does have 1st pairing upside. I see alot of Klingberg in him, maybe a hair less mobile but very similar players.

Reactions: bsu and kilowatt

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
Watched him live twice in the last two weeks, his skating is not an issue as some claim but he does cough up some ugly turnovers. The skill is plain to see, he just needs to bulk up and clean up the brain farts. He will never be as good as Doughty was but he does have 1st pairing upside.
To be fair, Doughty's a pretty lofty target for any player to have to live up to. Arguably a top three defenseman in his generation. I don't think Clarke will be as good defensively, but I think he could be even better offensively.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
To be fair, Doughty's a pretty lofty target for any player to have to live up to. Arguably a top three defenseman in his generation. I don't think Clarke will be as good defensively, but I think he could be even better offensively.

Very true although Doughty's numbers were severely suppressed in Sutter's system. I watched Doughty live when he was in Guelph as a 16 and 17 year old and he was much more impressive than Clarke. Every time Doughty has represented Canada he has looked wildly more dynamic than he does playing in L.A.'s conservative systems. Doughty also has played ridiculous minutes against top players and has admittedly had to conserve energy and sacrifice carrying the puck as much as he would like to.

Your point stands though as not being the next Doughty is hardly a condemnation. Clarke will be fine but my main concern with him is I am not sure that he will ever be a strong choice to go up against the opposition's best players like 1st pairing D are expected to do.

Anyways, nice prospect with a bright future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad