D Brandt Clarke - Ontario Reign, AHL (2021, 8th, LAK)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
He has been so bad I totally understand why Canada was scared away last year, that 2 or 3 on 1 where he's too busy trying to point with his stick might've been the worst play I've seen in along time... he really gives off vibes of "I'm an NHLer I run the show"

He had an interview was he straight up said "they can't handle our size" - that's a risky thing to say, especially as someone that isn't one of the big guys

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Clarke is absolutely incredible at what he is good at, an elite shot when it comes to accuracy and the ability to find the lane, very skilled skater but from what I've seen he is lacking defensively and, it may just be the world Juniors, but it seems like he's too confident in himself, between the odd man rush play and the failed spinorama against the Slovaks it almost seems that has not yet used to competition that's at/above his level

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
I’ve heard good things about the kid but he really hasn’t looked good. Defensively he’s weak and he skates like he’s on stilts.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Scored a goal that found the net on that flip goal, he still sucks though.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Clarke stepped up tonight for sure. Easily the best game of the tournament for him.
Yeah he was awesome. Their d core was struggling to move the puck so badly, his skillset saved Canada. He's a very talented player and only 19..... He's not remotely close to being fully developed. Hilarious to read some of these comments.

I’ve heard good things about the kid but he really hasn’t looked good. Defensively he’s weak and he skates like he’s on stilts.
He's an incredible skater. Wild comment. His Edgework is insane. Just absolutely no projective vision in Habs land. Still in love with Wright?

He reminds me of Tyler Myers with his poor first passes and just incessantly whacking pucks around without actually covering and controlling.

He’s definitely a work in progress.
His first pass is phenomenal.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Please explain why? Are the faults people are pointing out unsubstantiated? If not, are they faults that are easily corrected?
Yes lots of them are actually. He's a raw player, playing with lots of emotion in a crazy environment at 19 years old. These are human beings no matter how robotic you want them to be. D zone coverage and risk taking are as easy to coach as anything out there. His raw ability is not. You have it or you don't.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Maybe he's getting too much hate from some people, including myself, but he has definitely been the biggest disappointment on the blue line, and possibly the team. His skill level is outstanding and you can see it, but he makes bonehead plays and tries to do too much.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
To be fair to Clarke, he's not the worst d. Despite the TSN panel trying to get props to Del Mastro, the whole D core was shakey. You could see it in how the forwards collapsed so far down low leaving the points wide open.

While Clarke is supposed to be the best on the backend for Canada, he and the rest of the d really need to figure it out tonight for a win.

That said, whether you play well, or terrible doesn't indicate your career in really.any capacity. Kings' fans might be concerned as he isn't dominating as well as he should, but neither is Wright.

The ice last night certainly didn't help anyone with how shit it was.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
To be fair to Clarke, he's not the worst d. Despite the TSN panel trying to get props to Del Mastro, the whole D core was shakey. You could see it in how the forwards collapsed so far down low leaving the points wide open.

While Clarke is supposed to be the best on the backend for Canada, he and the rest of the d really need to figure it out tonight for a win.

That said, whether you play well, or terrible doesn't indicate your career in really.any capacity. Kings' fans might be concerned as he isn't dominating as well as he should, but neither is Wright.

The ice last night certainly didn't help anyone with how shit it was.
Clarke literally saved them last night. Non of the d men could break out except him in the first period.... He was their best d man. Allan had one of the worst games I've seen a canadian defender have in my life. He put a tape to tape pass on an American stick 5 times in 45 seconds. My God he's bad. I actually said they can't put him out there anymore. Then he only was allowed to pk. Never seen anything like it had options for 5 foot passes instead he skated as hard as he could and kept ripping passes to the other team or icing it. Was wild.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
So much hyperbole in both directions in this thread.

He is not Canada's worst defenseman, and he isn't their best, either. He's a raw, offensive-minded prospect who makes frequent defensive gaffes but at the same time can tilt the ice offensively like few others on the blue line. He's absolutely not an "incredible skater" but for his awkward skating style, it's actually not bad either.

My opinion on Clarke has not changed much during this tournament - incredible offensive ability, iffy skating, lots of work to do defensively. Overall, I think his offensive instincts and raw skill can carry him into being a massive player in the NHL regardless of his deficiencies, especially if he can shore up his defense.

This tournament does not indicate NHL probability or success in the slightest - for a good insight into that, look no further than the top 20 point-getters of the 19-20 WJC and tell me how many star players are there.

Mar 12, 2009
Yeah he was awesome. Their d core was struggling to move the puck so badly, his skillset saved Canada. He's a very talented player and only 19..... He's not remotely close to being fully developed. Hilarious to read some of these comments.

He's an incredible skater. Wild comment. His Edgework is insane. Just absolutely no projective vision in Habs land. Still in love with Wright?

His first pass is phenomenal.
One of the big knocks from scouts was his knock-knee skating, calling him an "incredible skater" is as wild as suggesting he's a terrible skater imo.

He's probably getting a little too much shit for such a short tournament, but the posters in his fanclub seem to be overcompensating for the negativity,

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
One of the big knocks from scouts was his knock-knee skating, calling him an "incredible skater" is as wild as suggesting he's a terrible skater imo.

He's probably getting a little too much shit for such a short tournament, but the posters in his fanclub seem to be overcompensating for the negativity,
His edgework is phenomenal combined with his ability to see the ice and handle the puck all at the same time its unique. His straight away speed improved tremendously as he got stronger. Only thing that matters is if they are getting there and how fast. He is fast and his skill skating is elite. Eric Cole was an ugly skater, that didnt matter because he got there. Similar situation for Clarke. I think it continues to improve as he gets stronger.

Now if people want to rip on his decision making go right ahead. He makes some very strange, decisions. Mostly fueled by emotion and trying to do too much. Leaving the front of the net against Slovakia, skating with his helmet off etc. Unbelievably dumb. Which are teachable if the player is open to it. If their ego is too big its hard to change. We will see. If there is one thing that holds him back its definitely ego/decisions.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

He could turn around and rip pucks into the Canada net for all I care.

I've seen him perform far beyond this at the NHL level. he's much more calm, measured, and thoughtful.

He's clearly trying to do too much and that's when dmen like him get into trouble.

Reactions: kinghock

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
He should be playing way better with all the rest he had, The Kings gave him a month off of playing any hockey games before the tournament.

The way this kid has been managed is almost as bad as some of the takes on this board.

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
He should be playing way better with all the rest he had, The Kings gave him a month off of playing any hockey games before the tournament.

The way this kid has been managed is almost as bad as some of the takes on this board.
Quarterbacked that PP to a goal. Once they got him the puck he made things happen w patience and walking the line w perfect pass to Guenther.

Reactions: funky

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Clarke isn't having his best tourney, kings had him playing in only 14 games this year in different leagues, long stretches with no games, rythm\timing seems off. Still...he leads the D in scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad