D Brandt Clarke - Ontario Reign, AHL (2021, 8th, LAK)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Jets have a glut of LD, NHLers and prospects for some RD. Either way there's no way Clarke starts the year in Barrie.

Reactions: ibleedkings

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
@Dominance and @Pavel Buchnevich looking like they may have called this one. Kid looks special.

There's literally zero chance that he goes back to Juniors. Someone on the Kings board said it perfectly, he has the ''lt'' factor that a King prospect hasn't had since Doughty stepped in. His hockey IQ, puck poise, passing, and the way he controls the game at 19 years old is mind boggling.

As Kings management would say: Where there's a waiver exemption, there's a way! :laugh:

He's looking like he should make the big club, but they better give him at least 9 games. Management signed too many defensemen who are not waiver exempt and the Kings love them some value signings for the big club and sending kids down to the AHL to marinate more. It would be downright criminal to send him back to Juniors if he continues to play well through camp and preseason.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Yeah, everything says that he has "it" and should stay up, but I wouldn't put it past the organization to send him back, anyways, for roster management reasons. This is one reason why I wasn't thrilled with Durzi getting $1.7M a few weeks ago. That solidified his spot on the team, a spot that Clarke is now challenging for. The organization may decide to see what they have in the offensive, powerplay defenseman that they just committed to and figure that another year of juniors won't hurt Clarke... and even if Clarke stays up, he may not get the best powerplay time.

That said, at least the Kings are very seriously considering Clarke. You can tell by the fact that he was, I think, the only player to participate in all three rookie games over a week ago and then was one of only three to play in the first two preseason games, which were on back-to-back nights in different cities. They're giving him every chance to impress them and it's hard to imagine him not getting at least the 9 games.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Yeah, everything says that he has "it" and should stay up, but I wouldn't put it past the organization to send him back, anyways, for roster management reasons. This is one reason why I wasn't thrilled with Durzi getting $1.7M a few weeks ago. That solidified his spot on the team, a spot that Clarke is now challenging for. The organization may decide to see what they have in the offensive, powerplay defenseman that they just committed to and figure that another year of juniors won't hurt Clarke... and even if Clarke stays up, he may not get the best powerplay time.

That said, at least the Kings are very seriously considering Clarke. You can tell by the fact that he was, I think, the only player to participate in all three rookie games over a week ago and then was one of only three to play in the first two preseason games, which were on back-to-back nights in different cities. They're giving him every chance to impress them and it's hard to imagine him not getting at least the 9 games.
I feel like there is always a good market for RHD... if Clarke deserves to be on the roster, i cant imagine itll be hard to facilitate a move of 1 of your RHD, to make room for him.

Roster mangement /shrug.... but if clarke makes the roster better/more competitive. ... with your moves the last year or so, you should have him dressed and playing.... i would consider a lot of the kings moves "going in".

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I feel like there is always a good market for RHD... if Clarke deserves to be on the roster, i cant imagine itll be hard to facilitate a move of 1 of your RHD, to make room for him.

Roster mangement /shrug.... but if clarke makes the roster better/more competitive. ... with your moves the last year or so, you should have him dressed and playing.... i would consider a lot of the kings moves "going in".
It's not that it's hard to make room. It's that it's easier to not have to. Organizations often make the easier choice by sending down players who are waiver exempt so as to not lose players who are not. Would the Kings trade Walker to make room for Clarke or would they send down Clarke so that they could keep both? It's not hard for an organization to convince itself that the latter is better for the prospect and the team's depth than "rushing" the prospect and losing a proven NHLer.

Also, as I just suggested, it'd likely be Walker's spot that Clarke takes. Durzi won't be traded any time soon, not after his coming out last Spring and just being signed to a new contract. Even if Clarke takes Walker's spot, Durzi may still be ahead of him and get better opportunities. There's something to be said for having to earn your ice time and opportunities, but I also remember that Doughty was handed top ice time and #1 powerplay minutes as a rookie and that worked out fine for his development.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

This is what I'm saying on the Kings Board. Rebuild is over.

Even with the RV trade and Danault signing, Blake held all of his top future assets while there were enticing players available that summer. Team made the playoffs and Blake made his first trade of one of his own draft picks plus a 1st round pick for Fiala: they are all-in.

If Clarke makes the team better now while you are still squeezing out what you can from Kopitar, you keep him up. It would be better for his development anyways.

Sean Walker. Nice dude. Bridge guy that was most likely not going to be on this team when it was ready to be a legit contender.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
It's not that it's hard to make room. It's that it's easier to not have to. Organizations often make the easier choice by sending down players who are waiver exempt so as to not lose players who are not. Would the Kings trade Walker to make room for Clarke or would they send down Clarke so that they could keep both? It's not hard for an organization to convince itself that the latter is better for the prospect and the team's depth than "rushing" the prospect and losing a proven NHLer.

Also, as I just suggested, it'd likely be Walker's spot that Clarke takes. Durzi won't be traded any time soon, not after his coming out last Spring and just being signed to a new contract. Even if Clarke takes Walker's spot, Durzi may still be ahead of him and get better opportunities. There's something to be said for having to earn your ice time and opportunities, but I also remember that Doughty was handed top ice time and #1 powerplay minutes as a rookie and that worked out fine for his development.
Yawney mentioned that Durzi could play both sides - the Kings may try to fit him on the left if he gets squeezed out on the right.

Reactions: Osprey

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
The only other dman to play all preseason games was Doughty

Just realized Durzi is not in the lineup. We got a lot of dmen.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Definitely making good decisions when the puck is on his stick.

Reactions: kinghock

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I'm not surprised Clarke looks more impressive against NHLers than you might expect from his games against junior competition. He isn't the type of guy to dominate the OHL purely based on his physical tools and skate end-to-end every other shift, but his exceptional IQ translates seamlessly to the big leagues. His intelligence is why I, along with others like @Dominance and @Pavel Buchnevich, ranked him 1st in 2021.

Having a log jam on the right side is such a first world problem to have.

And to think that's after trading away Brock Faber.

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
I just hope he won't end up as another botched promising young guy in the Kings organisation. There is already couple of them: Vilardi, Byfield(granted, Byfield can still turn it around) etc....

He was my contender for first overall along with Eklund on his draft year.

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
I just hope he won't end up as another botched promising young guy in the Kings organisation. There is already couple of them: Vilardi, Byfield(granted, Byfield can still turn it around) etc....

He was my contender for first overall along with Eklund on his draft year.
how is byfield botched he's played barely half a season lol

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
To me he's kind of like the Matthew Boldy of defensive prospects. Above average to very good at nearly everything (IQ, size, skating, puck skills, etc.), and an obvious impact NHL player.

How anybody didn't recognize that this kid has "it" is beyond me.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
To me he's kind of like the Matthew Boldy of defensive prospects. Above average to very good at nearly everything (IQ, size, skating, puck skills, etc.), and an obvious impact NHL player.

How anybody didn't recognize that this kid has "it" is beyond me.

I think all that stuff was pretty obvious, the things they have noted in camp is the memes about bad defensively/risky were oversold. He's aggressive, for sure, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad