D Brandt Clarke - Ontario Reign, AHL (2021, 8th, LAK)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Really sounds like it all comes down to his skating. Even then, I am still shocked he can't make that team after the season he just had.
Skating ultimately is the number 1 most important trait you need to be a top end D in the NHL these days, and Clarke just hasn’t been able to bring it up to a level where the worries can be alleviated. His puck skills, vision, ability to create lanes for himself are all very good, but his lack of elite footwork will limit how well he can excel at the next level imo. He doesn’t have a shot like an Evan Bouchard, who has an absolute cannon from the point. Bouchard was more physical as well imo.

Reactions: Kalv

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Top end I see a Klingberg type, his skating (knees and ankles) scare me a bit though.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
The skating thing is totally overblown. Edit: at least re: speed, movement, agility. @bsu 's comment above makes sense and is fair but too many people other here just insinuating he's a bad skater and writing him off and that's just flat out false.

He's an ugly skater, not a bad skater.
So you're saying his skating has a great personality?

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Who else among the defensemen is a real top defensive prospect?
I agree he may be one of the better prospects long term, but I don’t think he’s arguably better than any of those guys right now currently. As much as he probably projects better than someone like Jack Thompson, I’d take Thompson today over him. Bigger body, skates better and can hammer the puck. I really like Cormier, Zellweger as more undersized but skilled puck movers. I think I’d take Clarke over Seeley though.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I agree he may be one of the better prospects long term, but I don’t think he’s arguably better than any of those guys right now currently. As much as he probably projects better than someone like Jack Thompson, I’d take Thompson today over him. Bigger body, skates better and can hammer the puck. I really like Cormier, Zellweger as more undersized but skilled puck movers. I think I’d take Clarke over Seeley though.

I do think Clarke is pretty raw, so this is all fair.

You can see the potential dripping off him but there's a lot of work to be done yet so it would make sense if others feel the other guys are at least currently more polished and prepped even if I disagree.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
I do think Clarke is pretty raw, so this is all fair.

You can see the potential dripping off him but there's a lot of work to be done yet so it would make sense if others feel the other guys are at least currently more polished and prepped even if I disagree.
For sure, I could totally see why someone would want Clarke on this team and you can easily make the argument for it, but I do think it’s a tougher decision for the HC brass than most think. A guy like O’rourke or Hunt who don’t have big name recognition have been HC favourites for years. I see those guys as having the upside to become a Jake Muzzin style player at the next level, and Muzzin got zero hype in his Soo days.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
He certainly came as advertised and was easily the most impressive player to me. I wrote more in the "San Jose Rookie Faceoff" thread. It was just one game, but it was very encouraging.

Last edited:

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
Looked even better today and I love the chip on his shoulder. Kid has a lot of FU in his game and I love it. Reminds me of Doughty more and more every month.

Last edited:

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Looked even. Enter today and I love the chip on his shoulder. Kid has a lot of FU in his game and I love it. Reminds me of Doughty more and more every month.
He should have some FU in him. I can’t remember the last time a top 10 D prospect in his D+1 year didn’t make the world junior team. He was Canada’s best D at the U18 last year as well and he was totally snubbed.

He’s been pretty underrated since being drafted so I’m excited to see if he can generate some hype.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Maaaan this guy is going to be a problem.

Sky is the limit but this guy's vision and improvisation is second to none. His ability to shake checks and buy time and space is better than even rookie Doughty.
How dominant was Doughty in his first year?

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Doughty was extremely steady defensively already in pre season and therefore made the team.

Playing for a weak team didnt do his offensive numbers any favors but he set that straight in his sophomore season.

No big defensive issues. I think that might be different with Clarke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad