D Brandt Clarke - Ontario Reign, AHL (2021, 8th, LAK)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey

Wasn't televised so only got bits and pieces but consistent with what we've seen at camps and scrimmages, dude is a savant. At this point I'm convinced he's getting his 9 games at the very least.

Until proven otherwise I’m sticking with the stance I’ve had since fall 2020 - Clarke was the best prospect in the 2021 draft.

There is no reason why he should not make the Kings and play in a top-4 role this year, getting mentored by Doughty. I get that the Kings have a glut of relatively young talent, but you don’t let guys like Roy and Walker block an elite prospect.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Until proven otherwise I’m sticking with the stance I’ve had since fall 2020 - Clarke was the best prospect in the 2021 draft.

There is no reason why he should not make the Kings and play in a top-4 role this year, getting mentored by Doughty. I get that the Kings have a glut of relatively young talent, but you don’t let guys like Roy and Walker block an elite prospect.

Only things i could see would be defensive acumen and his propensity to get rocked because he runs his mouth--literally every game he's played thus far some plug has absolutely floored him with elbows/high hits.

But on sheer talent yeah he's got nowhere to go but the NHL. His defensive reads and positioning are actually very good, he just gets beat/muscled by pro men, which is just medicine he'll have to take for a few years anyway...like rookie Doughty.

Kings had been rolling what looked like D pairs to start the year of Anderson-Doughty / Walker-Roy / Edler-Clarke which makes me think Durzi is 7, Bjornfot and Spence top pairing in AHL, and then Durzi plugs back in when Clarke goes back to juniors, or whatever moving parts happen with injuries.

Reactions: Dominance

Quinnisinoverhishead

Oct 4, 2014
Kings going to be unrecognizable soon. Fiala, Clarke, Byfield and Kaliyev bring a lot of style points to a team that has been fairly dull recently.

Pacific by the most intriguing division for me this year
I think you mean most intriguing team in the division.
The division is probably the least intriguing this year. The entire division is irrelevant in terms of stanley cup probability.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017

Hot take. I wouldn't make a bet on that and I'm sure you wouldn't either. Best prospect in the 2021 draft? it's possible but there are some damn good players in that one.

Speaking of Clarke I saw him on this graph earlier

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
The division is probably the least intriguing this year. The entire division is irrelevant in terms of stanley cup probability.
Your last sentence may be true, but it will still be entertaining to watch. Otherwise what’s point of regular season?

Oilers have their best team in awhile.

Vegas has healthy Eichel and added Kessel for entertainment but still have no goalies

Seattle has two great young Cs and is better than their record indicated after getting atrocious goaltending.

Flames are a completely new team, probably one with a huge chip on their shoulder.

Canucks have an excellent Top 9 and Demko and Boudreau but then an awful blueline

Coyotes are about to be playing in a 5K capacity rink

Even the Ducks are adding McTavish to Zegras and Drysdale and the signings of Strome and Klingberg indicate they are not tanking.

May not be a Cup Contender, but there are infinite storylines

Reactions: wetcoast and Benn14

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Hot take. I wouldn't make a bet on that and I'm sure you wouldn't either. Best prospect in the 2021 draft? it's possible but there are some damn good players in that one.

Speaking of Clarke I saw him on this graph earlier

Not really. Like I said, I have had this opinion for two years. Nobody from that draft class outside of Power has a comparable ceiling.

The placement of prospects of vastly different projections and draft positions really puts the lie to the utility of those graphs.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Not really. Like I said, I have had this opinion for two years. Nobody from that draft class outside of Power has a comparable ceiling.

The placement of prospects of vastly different projections and draft positions really puts the lie to the utility of those graphs.

Ummm, Matty Beniers almost a ppg in the NHL. You're reaching atm

bsu

Sep 27, 2017

As I said, hot take.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't agree. LAK, CAL, EDM, and VAN, and VGK are all intriguing to me. EDM showed what they could do last year in the playoffs, and LA showed very well for a team that was playing minor leaguers on D, but i can easily see any of the other teams going on a run. Yes, the Avs are the clear king of the hill in the West, but after that I don't know what to think.

The one thing that might be an achilles heel for some of those teams is a lack of good goaltending.

Reactions: wetcoast
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

He has the worst takes ever on this website. Nearly every thread I check out, he is in there spewing garbage

Reactions: Frolov 6'3

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
BSU? He’s as guilty as anyone on these boards for propping up his guys but he’s still a good poster.

I can very easily see why you would not agree as a Kings fan though :D
I mean I've compared him to Klingberg-type since before the draft. I don't think he is explosive enough to have the highest upside in any draft, that doesn't mean he won't be a player. Maybe you're right but I would still say it's a hot take.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Your last sentence may be true, but it will still be entertaining to watch. Otherwise what’s point of regular season?

Oilers have their best team in awhile.

Vegas has healthy Eichel and added Kessel for entertainment but still have no goalies

Seattle has two great young Cs and is better than their record indicated after getting atrocious goaltending.

Flames are a completely new team, probably one with a huge chip on their shoulder.

Canucks have an excellent Top 9 and Demko and Boudreau but then an awful blueline

Coyotes are about to be playing in a 5K capacity rink

Even the Ducks are adding McTavish to Zegras and Drysdale and the signings of Strome and Klingberg indicate they are not tanking.

May not be a Cup Contender, but there are infinite storylines
…and the Sharks are just plain forgettable.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I mean I've compared him to Klingberg-type since before the draft. I don't think he is explosive enough to have the highest upside in any draft, that doesn't mean he won't be a player. Maybe you're right but I would still say it's a hot take.
Let’s put a pin in it and see where he’s at in 5 years. I see a guy who will go on to get Norris votes, but I’ve been in his corner for a while now.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands

You should have said McTavish.

Guaranteed it wasn’t a “hot take” than.
That’s basically the problem for him.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Only things i could see would be defensive acumen and his propensity to get rocked because he runs his mouth--literally every game he's played thus far some plug has absolutely floored him with elbows/high hits.

But on sheer talent yeah he's got nowhere to go but the NHL. His defensive reads and positioning are actually very good, he just gets beat/muscled by pro men, which is just medicine he'll have to take for a few years anyway...like rookie Doughty.

Kings had been rolling what looked like D pairs to start the year of Anderson-Doughty / Walker-Roy / Edler-Clarke which makes me think Durzi is 7, Bjornfot and Spence top pairing in AHL, and then Durzi plugs back in when Clarke goes back to juniors, or whatever moving parts happen with injuries.
I think 2 out of 3 (Walker, Roy and Durzi) needs to be traded to get goalie and LD prospects

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think 2 out of 3 (Walker, Roy and Durzi) needs to be traded to get goalie and LD prospects
Ducks and kings should make a trade…. We have pretty good goalie prospects

Dostal clang Alexander and erickson-ek

And pretty loaded with left handed dmen, rhd is still somewhat weak.

Hopefully this is the year kings top end prospects start earning spots…. I would be shocked if Clarke didn’t make the team tbh(at least 9 games but I feel like he’ll be there all year), byfield hopefully starts to look comfortable at nhl level. Still have a ton of faith in turcotte being a great compliment top 6 guy

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad