D Brandt Clarke - Ontario Reign, AHL (2021, 8th, LAK)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The Kings will dress Clarke once every 3 weeks to stretch his 9-game trial out until April and allow him to play in all of their playoff games without burning a year off of his ELC. Blake is a genius.

• Haha
Reactions: KapG and Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
The Kings will dress Clarke once every 3 weeks to stretch his 9-game trial out until April and allow him to play in all of their playoff games without burning a year off of his ELC. Blake is a genius.
If Team Canada would take Clarke for WJC then it would make it even easier, but ofc TC doesn't want Clarke :sarcasm:

Reactions: Osprey

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Both Canada, and to a lesser extent USA, do this sort of stupid **** every year. They are lucky they have so much depth for the WJCs. Other teams would get dominated leaving such talent off their rosters for "reasons".
This.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Clarke is expected to make his NHL debut tonight against Seattle. He'll be on the 3rd pairing with Edler and likely on the 2nd powerplay unit.
"This is the moment I’ve dreamed of for so long. I’ve been watching the NHL for my entire life and now that I’m officially going to be in it, it’s kind of crazy to think about. This is going to be something I’ll never forget, it’ll be pretty cool."
"I just want to play my game. Just like the rookie tournament, just like preseason, I just want to come in there and play. Yes, it’s going to be a big moment, yes it’s going to be really exciting, but I think after that first shift I’ll just settle in and do what I do, then I’m just playing hockey again, it’s just another game. There’ll be whirlwind of emotions right off the bat, but I think once I settle in, once the game just starts flowing, I’ll be just fine."

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Looked a little scared to start, got much much better as the game went along, was the guy we saw in the preseason by the end.

Already our 2nd best dman next to Doughty (Edit: arguably 3rd depending on how you feel about Anderson) but that's clearly not saying much since everyone else has turned into goo.

Reactions: kinghock and Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Looked a little scared to start, got much much better as the game went along, was the guy we saw in the preseason by the end.

Already our 2nd best dman next to Doughty (Edit: arguably 3rd depending on how you feel about Anderson) but that's clearly not saying much since everyone else has turned into goo.
I imagine that he was just being cautious and didn't want to pull a Durzi early in his first game. The lack of flow in the 1st period and his shifts being interrupted couldn't have helped, while having to play from behind in the 2nd and 3rd periods probably did help bring his offensive game out.

I think that he's a lot better than Anderson (who's nothing special, IMO, unlike Clarke) and the 2nd best after Doughty. It'll be a huge shame if they send him down, and I'm starting to wonder if the team continuing to struggle will add just one more reason for the brass to do it.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If they ever even consider sending him down at this point, it will be criminal.

He's sheltered behind Doughty in the perfect spot but the dude is a phenom, they're going to just HAVE to give him Durzi's PP2 spot soon, there's nothing more he can do in his limited minutes.

Most importantly, impeccable flow.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
He's been a lot less noticeable and flashy since the season started, very different than how he looked in preseason. I chalk it up to reduced minutes and him trying not to do too much and hurt the team. He seems to really want to stay up and is trying to make it happen by playing safe, dependable hockey. It's probably not a bad strategy because LA really needs that. Most of the other defensemen are making egregious mistakes nearly every night and, so far, Clarke hasn't made one that I've noticed, despite being the rookie of the bunch. He's just been solid, as those stats suggest, and I assume that the coaching staff agrees because they've been burning through his first 9 games. Since being put in for game #2, he's played 3 straight. In my observation, junior-eligible kids tend to have their 9-game trials stretched out when they need to adjust to the pace of the NHL and when teams want them to get the most experience around pro athletes before they're sent back. Clarke has had no issues adjusting and it's starting to feel like the Kings want him in the lineup for what he contributes, not just for learning and evaluation. That bodes well for him staying up, but you never know.

If it were up to me, I'd keep him up and loan Durzi to the KHL, preferably a team in Siberia, where I'm sure that he'd be a star "defense"man.

Last edited:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
If they ever even consider sending him down at this point, it will be criminal.

He's sheltered behind Doughty in the perfect spot but the dude is a phenom, they're going to just HAVE to give him Durzi's PP2 spot soon, there's nothing more he can do in his limited minutes.

Most importantly, impeccable flow.

Yup. Meanwhile Durzi continues to tally points cuz of icetime despite killing his team in goals against.
They almost lost again yesterday cuz he gifted another grade A chance to Larkin

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
First NHL point--while playing on the LEFT side with our worst dman coming back from a year-long layoff and with no PP time but getting PK time. You can't write this stuff worse, it's incredible how this organization sandbags themselves.

Despite TM's best efforts to sabotage him, he's amazing.
If there is a way to sabotage his career Todd McDummy will find it.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I've only seen this kid play a few times but I really like how smart he is. I'll take elite hockey IQ over just about any other metric.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Not a real surprise and take the source with a grain of salt BUT

That article was apparently written three days ago, but wasn't tweeted until today. Odd. It'd be nice to get some official acknowledgement, but I can understand the organization not wanting to publicly commit themselves. I'll be glad once his 10th game comes because I hold my breath every time that I see this thread bumped. :laugh:

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
He is playing in the AHL and if he does not play well, than he need to sit…. the horror.
Clarke is not in the AHL nor has he been for a week now, yet he continues not to play. At no point has he "not play[ed] well." The Kings with their phenomenal track record with developing prospects think they're galaxy-braining this by sitting this kid who is clearly too good for junior and is already an NHL-quality defenseman.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad