CXLVII - Is this the 'Final Countdown' in Arizona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
That one was total outlier if you look at the entire list.

It was caught up in a massive bidding war between a couple of medical companies (80 total bids).

There were two other parcels 2-3 miles west of the parcel Meruelo applied for that went for $29 (and $29.4) million. One was 37 acres and the other 115 acres. Both sold a week apart and with single bids.

Here's the list from 2018 to date.

I don't know if this has been addressed, but is the bidding process blind or do you know who has bid and for how much? I would guess blind.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
No, I don't. Everyone here is making assumptions. But if the plan is to try and keep the Coyotes in AZ, then they should be fine with another year in Arizona at Mullett. Who says AM isn't willing to cover the losses of the team to make the NHL whole? The "insiders" don't even know what's going on to be fair. Nobody knew that the team applied for 200 acres, and decided to reduce it to 100 until AFTER the fact. It's all speculation and nobody knows exactly what's going on behind closed doors.
You do though. You know why they won't keep them there without a plan, and acting like things are the same now as when they were in Glendale is silly. The PA can't don't anything now but stomp and embarrass the league but if the league wants labor peace they need to this out bc I'm certain the PA will want language added in the future to prevent this kind of situation with mullet. Obviously the league wants the market, but be rational. I hope this works out for the team, but staying in mullet was short term, and now people like you are taking that multi year lease which was meant to carry the team until their new building in Tempe was built, and instead now you're using the lease term to create a time to get the arena deal done. At first mullet was oked bc the new arena would be ready when the lease was up or with the option year, not meant for them to actually get the okay to put a damn shovel in the ground somewhere AND THEN tact on 2-3 more years to build the thing. You know all of this, so you know the answer to the question you asked...

Reactions: Llama19

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I don't know if this has been addressed, but is the bidding process blind or do you know who has bid and for how much? I would guess blind.
This documents is on another auction but it fully outlines the process.

According to that document, bidding is done orally.

Meaning you have someone representing you there at the time of the auction making bids.

Maricopa County does the same thing (it was the backdrop for the Discovery TV series “Property Wars”.)

Devils 3silverones

Sep 13, 2017
Kinda... Until it was "leaked". Then there was news. Then the Atl team was moving.
It was a VERY well held card by both NHL and TNSE.
No Balkans' were around. Nor, now.. Anyway.

I'm tired of saying the same thing too.

TNSE had a plan. With a SIGNIFICANTLY larger bankroll than well, most.
And they did it. Good for them, blah blah..
Who cares. If AM gets a plot of land and can rent a bulldozer, awesome.

Winnipeg(tnse) did a job they had to do for 16 years. And got it right from 1997. With an IHL franchise.
At the time of a broken city from NHL to. Zero league.
They got it done.
Miss AZ central. Jimmy. rip.

Nobody for whatever reason in AZ (coyotes) has done anything right.

No news until there is news? Right?
Crickets are actually loud. I don't hear them. Such as the .... Sorry fell asleep.

Reactions: Stumbledore

1CasualFan

Feb 14, 2022
If Mullett should lose the Coyotes...it would be an excellent facility for Ishbia's new G League...

Phoenix Suns buy G League team, looking for arena in the Valley

To quote:

“The right size for the G League is like [a capacity of] 3,000 to 5,000,” [Suns CEO Josh] Bartelstein said. “You need to find a balance where you can generate revenue, but that’s not too big where it is cavernous and you lose the atmosphere.""

Source (Paywall): www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2024/02/14/phoenix-suns-buy-g-league-team.html

Sorry to off-topic, but does anyone look smarter than Arizona State University right now? They didnt need "TED" to complete their long range dev plan. Novus Innovation Corridor looks like a huge winner.

Reactions: Stumbledore

1CasualFan

Feb 14, 2022
Reactions: AT14C and TheLegend

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Sorry to off-topic, but does anyone look smarter than Arizona State University right now? They didnt need "TED" to complete their long range dev plan. Novus Innovation Corridor looks like a huge winner.

They need a new basketball arena and TED was a possibility but they could do it on their own too. Build (of Novus) out will be something.

Last edited:

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Yes. It was also going to be two arenas in one. Or a much larger version of Mullett.

Oh don't get me started on them. :laugh:
Yeah I remember that there was going to be a smaller arena for ASU hockey but the wasn't the main arena that the Coyotes were going to play in also going to accommodate the basketball team?

Also, we agree on something! We both hate homeowners associations!

ponder719

M-M-M-Matvei and the Jett
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I would also like to stop by and give an electronic middle finger to HOA's

Wondering how many Megathread followers (and dilettantes like me) we can get on on the same side for this one. HOAs are damn near the single worst invention of humankind, and I flatly refuse to consider living anywhere that has one.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
Wondering how many Megathread followers (and dilettantes like me) we can get on on the same side for this one. HOAs are damn near the single worst invention of humankind, and I flatly refuse to consider living anywhere that has one.
If "HOA Haters" were a political party WE WINNING EVERY ELECTION

• Love
Reactions: ponder719

Reaser

May 19, 2021
HOA here, lucky for me my house isn't really part of the development/'community' -- essentially behind it in a back corner by myself.

No idea or care of the 'rules & regs' since it doesn't matter to me and I'm not in a position to be bothered by anyone anyway.

So it ends up as more entertainment seeing the HOA Board (Bored) members posts/notes. We have a liberal cop, conservative firefighter, and two stay-at-home, only way to put it, trophy wives that are always posting things to the HOA message board. The first two put a political spin on everything they say and go back-and-forth on everything. The latter two look our their window all day trying to find something to complain about. For example we had this one not too long ago: "A blue SUV didn't come to a full stop at the stop sign at 1:16pm today. I didn't get the license plate. We need to discuss this."

The absurdity of it is both hilarious and asinine. If I was in a position to be hassled by any of it, I wouldn't live here because I'm fully in agreement, HOAs are horrible.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
If "HOA Haters" were a political party WE WINNING EVERY ELECTION
I know this is off-topic but its a slow news day and every time I see a reference to HOAs I have to share this story to vent:

When I was in Cleveland I bought a new house and the neighborhood had a HOA. It was outsourced to a management company and was supposed to be turned over to residents when most of the development was built out. That never happened and people didn't really care that much.

Fast forward to 2008. The recession hits and lots of people lost their jobs and some eventually lost their homes. I knew of one guy who was out of work for a couple of years. By the time he got a new job the bank had already won a judgement against him so he handed over the keys and moved to an apartment. The HOA sued him and tacked on legal fees and garnished his wages to get their money. there were 400+ houses in the development. WE would have been fine without his $150 a year for a couple of years. Flat out evil.

• Wow
Reactions: TheGreenTBer

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Amusingly, I'd expect a lot of taxpayers would be upset if they understood how the ASU Athletics Facilities District, including the Novus Corridor, works regarding taxes.

The build out is indeed impressive. Can't wait to be able to walk down the new avenue when it's done.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
HOA here, lucky for me my house isn't really part of the development/'community' -- essentially behind it in a back corner by myself.

No idea or care of the 'rules & regs' since it doesn't matter to me and I'm not in a position to be bothered by anyone anyway.

So it ends up as more entertainment seeing the HOA Board (Bored) members posts/notes. We have a liberal cop, conservative firefighter, and two stay-at-home, only way to put it, trophy wives that are always posting things to the HOA message board. The first two put a political spin on everything they say and go back-and-forth on everything. The latter two look our their window all day trying to find something to complain about. For example we had this one not too long ago: "A blue SUV didn't come to a full stop at the stop sign at 1:16pm today. I didn't get the license plate. We need to discuss this."

The absurdity of it is both hilarious and asinine. If I was in a position to be hassled by any of it, I wouldn't live here because I'm fully in agreement, HOAs are horrible.
I know this site's stance on politics but I wanted to share a brief personal anecdote:

I once worked in a group where my boss was very conservative and his trusted deputy was very liberal. Once, to amuse myself while riding in a car with the two of them, I blurted out "...so about that gun control thing" and proceeded to enjoy the fireworks for about 15 non-stop minutes. The troll was strong with me that day.

Devils 3silverones

Sep 13, 2017
Amusingly, I'd expect a lot of taxpayers would be upset if they understood how the ASU Athletics Facilities District, including the Novus Corridor, works regarding taxes.

The build out is indeed impressive. Can't wait to be able to walk down the new avenue when it's done.
Finally.. Thank you.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
You do though. You know why they won't keep them there without a plan, and acting like things are the same now as when they were in Glendale is silly. The PA can't don't anything now but stomp and embarrass the league but if the league wants labor peace they need to this out bc I'm certain the PA will want language added in the future to prevent this kind of situation with mullet. Obviously the league wants the market, but be rational. I hope this works out for the team, but staying in mullet was short term, and now people like you are taking that multi year lease which was meant to carry the team until their new building in Tempe was built, and instead now you're using the lease term to create a time to get the arena deal done. At first mullet was oked bc the new arena would be ready when the lease was up or with the option year, not meant for them to actually get the okay to put a damn shovel in the ground somewhere AND THEN tact on 2-3 more years to build the thing. You know all of this, so you know the answer to the question you asked...

The dots are being connected in a way that points to the Coyotes moving to Salt Lake by people who WANT the Coyotes to move, period, and have wanted that for 15 years now.

And you can really see that with the concept of the NHL "needing cover" to vet Smith (which they don't, period) so they aren't seen as sandbagging a potential arena deal in PHX.

#1 - That's illogical: The NHL wants an Arena deal in Phoenix first and foremost. They've said a million times (about every franchise) that an arena deal to keep the team there is the first goal, and relocation is the absolute last resort. You can't be at the last resort AND sandbag a potential arena deal at the same time.

#2 - this deadline stuff is artificial. They reported the league has allegedly put a deadline on the Coyotes to do something. It was reported as "Shorty after the Super Bowl" (an event with zero ties to the NHL but a convenient sports time stamp) simply because the PREVIOUSLY reported deadline (the NHL All Star break) came and went with nothing new to report. I think up next is NCAA Selection Sunday, then the Masters or MLB Opening Day, then the end of the regular season, then the end of the playoffs, then the Draft, and then by opening day of next season...

#3 - we all know that striping an owner of the team isn't really plausible. Even if it could theoretically be done by calling in debt, the other owners really want to give the power to the league to force an owner to sell, like ever? All the NHL can do is craft rules that prevent future situations like this from arising: Which they have, as the last seven expansion or relocations teams were not granted approval without a new NHL ready arena to play in at the time of their start dates (ATL, MIN, CBJ, NASH, VGK, SEA all waited to join the league when their arenas were complete, they didn't start early in temporary venues like TB, SJ, ARZ, CAR and OTT did).

Everyone's crafting narratives of the league being sick and tired of the Coyotes not having a resolution and becoming "just another team" with an NHL arena and revenues that aren't an issue for league business. Which is where we've been for 15 years. And we can see from previous franchises (Islanders) or other leagues (Oakland A's) that not only does the "last resort" option of relocation rarely happen, and the rope leagues give teams extend virtually indefinitely, but that owners who won't sell their teams have the control of where the team plays, even if it's a terrible decision for the league.

Last edited:

Devils 3silverones

Sep 13, 2017
The dots are being connected in a way that points to the Coyotes moving to Salt Lake by people who WANT the Coyotes to move, period, and have wanted that for 15 years now.

And you can really see that with the concept of the NHL "needing cover" to vet Smith (which they don't, period) so they aren't seen as sandbagging a potential arena deal in PHX.

#1 - That's illogical: The NHL wants an Arena deal in Phoenix first and foremost. They've said a million times (about every franchise) that an arena deal to keep the team there is the first goal, and relocation is the absolute last resort. You can't be at the last resort AND sandbag a potential arena deal at the same time.

#2 - this deadline stuff is artificial. They reported the league has allegedly put a deadline on the Coyotes to do something. It was reported as "Shorty after the Super Bowl" (an event with zero ties to the NHL but a convenient sports time stamp) simply because the PREVIOUSLY reported deadline (the NHL All Star break) came and went with nothing new to report. I think up next is NCAA Selection Sunday, then the Masters or MLB Opening Day, then the end of the regular season, then the end of the playoffs, then the Draft, and then by opening day of next season...

#3 - we all know that striping an owner of the team isn't really plausible. Even if it could theoretically be done by calling in debt, the other owners really want to give the power to the league to force an owner to sell, like ever? All the NHL can do is craft rules that prevent future situations like this someone from arising: Which they have, as the last seven expansion or relocations teams were not granted approval without a new NHL ready arena to play in at the time of their start dates (ATL, MIN, CBJ, NASH, VGK, SEA all waited to join the league when their arenas were complete, they didn't start early in temporary venues like half TB, SJ, ARZ, CAR and OTT did.

Everyone's crafting narratives of the league being sick and tired of the Coyotes not having a resolution and becoming "just another team" with an NHL arena and revenues that aren't an issue for league business. Which is where we've been for 15 years. And we can see from previous franchises (Islanders) or other leagues (Oakland A's) that not only does the "last resort" option of relocation rarely happen, and the rope leagues give teams extend virtually indefinitely, but that owners who won't sell their teams have the control of where the team plays, even if it's a terrible decision for the league.
Feel better? Good rant. (Friendly fire ) I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad