CXLVII - Is this the 'Final Countdown' in Arizona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
An HOA president and a mod? You're history's greatest monster.
That’s why he’s the Sarge.

evil-laugh-devil.gif

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Homie I think you need to hire an interior decorator
OK :laugh: I have milked the joke long enough. Time to move it back on topic - but I’ll end it with this.

I helped take down a Rogue Board. Clear violations of State Statutes, our Bylaws, pretty much everything. Claiming ignorance, bad consults from our property managers, jail time for the former manager here before we switched. A complete clusterf***.

I did my part. Helped sack the offending officers, install more business-savvy people, told everyone enough with the measuring tapes and the high school-like vendettas. Stop measuring mailbox posts, and hedges, shit like that.

Enforce the shit that really needs to be enforced. It’s a Community, so get the people that refuse to park their cars and tow-trailers in their driveways and off the streets… or back in their garages. Because emergency vehicles always had issues getting in and around the community. Things of that nature

Got some much-needed changes to the Bylaws as well and it is my intent to step down shortly and hand the reins over to the VP so I can get back to having a more normal life. Whatever that is.

Starting with hammering you silly sods!

So I’ve done the exact opposite of what everybody envisions an HOA board to be like. Hopefully I go and blaze a path for other respectable human beings (with future aspirations of being on HOA boards) to follow.

Carry on

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
OK :laugh: I have milked the joke long enough. Time to move it back on topic - but I’ll end it with this.

I helped take down a Rogue Board. Clear violations of State Statutes, our Bylaws, pretty much everything. Claiming ignorance, bad consults from our property managers, jail time for the former manager here before we switched. A complete clusterf***.

I did my part. Helped sack the offending officers, install more business-savvy people, told everyone enough with the measuring tapes and the high school-like vendettas. Stop measuring mailbox posts, and hedges, shit like that.

Enforce the shit that really needs to be enforced. It’s a Community, so get the people that refuse to park their cars and tow-trailers in their driveways and off the streets… or back in their garages. Because emergency vehicles always had issues getting in and around the community. Things of that nature

Got some much-needed changes to the Bylaws as well and it is my intent to step down shortly and hand the reins over to the VP so I can get back to having a more normal life. Whatever that is.

Starting with hammering you silly sods!

So I’ve done the exact opposite of what everybody envisions an HOA board to be like. Hopefully I go and blaze a path for other respectable human beings (with future aspirations of being on HOA boards) to follow.

Carry on
Any truth to the rumors that you were on the same board as IceArizona?

Edit: that is actually my version of nudging a thread back on topic lmao

aqib

Feb 13, 2012

Were you also a hall monitor in elementary school? OK now I'm done.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
The dots are being connected in a way that points to the Coyotes moving to Salt Lake by people who WANT the Coyotes to move, period, and have wanted that for 15 years now.

And you can really see that with the concept of the NHL "needing cover" to vet Smith (which they don't, period) so they aren't seen as sandbagging a potential arena deal in PHX.

#1 - That's illogical: The NHL wants an Arena deal in Phoenix first and foremost. They've said a million times (about every franchise) that an arena deal to keep the team there is the first goal, and relocation is the absolute last resort. You can't be at the last resort AND sandbag a potential arena deal at the same time.

#2 - this deadline stuff is artificial. They reported the league has allegedly put a deadline on the Coyotes to do something. It was reported as "Shorty after the Super Bowl" (an event with zero ties to the NHL but a convenient sports time stamp) simply because the PREVIOUSLY reported deadline (the NHL All Star break) came and went with nothing new to report. I think up next is NCAA Selection Sunday, then the Masters or MLB Opening Day, then the end of the regular season, then the end of the playoffs, then the Draft, and then by opening day of next season...

#3 - we all know that striping an owner of the team isn't really plausible. Even if it could theoretically be done by calling in debt, the other owners really want to give the power to the league to force an owner to sell, like ever? All the NHL can do is craft rules that prevent future situations like this from arising: Which they have, as the last seven expansion or relocations teams were not granted approval without a new NHL ready arena to play in at the time of their start dates (ATL, MIN, CBJ, NASH, VGK, SEA all waited to join the league when their arenas were complete, they didn't start early in temporary venues like TB, SJ, ARZ, CAR and OTT did).

Everyone's crafting narratives of the league being sick and tired of the Coyotes not having a resolution and becoming "just another team" with an NHL arena and revenues that aren't an issue for league business. Which is where we've been for 15 years. And we can see from previous franchises (Islanders) or other leagues (Oakland A's) that not only does the "last resort" option of relocation rarely happen, and the rope leagues give teams extend virtually indefinitely, but that owners who won't sell their teams have the control of where the team plays, even if it's a terrible decision for the league.
Acting like it's still 2015 doesn't change the fact it's 2024 and a number of things have happened. And I am not someone hoping they leave, I'm commenting on what has happened over the past 2 months and this notion that Smith's comments are not structured with the blessing of the league. If you believe he did this on his own without bettmans blessing you havent tracked history of the commissioner's retribution on groups that go renegade, as well as how he rewards people that follow his script. Bettman is much smarter and calculated than most people give him credit for.

Last edited:

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I can't imagine that the NHL needs a prospective owner the say something publicly for the purpose of applying pressure on the Coyotes to get an arena deal done.

If the NHL is going to move the franchise, it will move the franchise -- and they can very easily make that crystal-clear to the current owner in private, without the public spectacle.

I just doubt that there's some kind of threshold that's being crossed now that hasn't already been encountered in this saga. It stretches my imagination to think that the NHL is going to engineer some kind of rushed relo of the Coyotes.

I'm not saying they will never move, but I just don't see it on an accelerated timeline.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Acting like it's still 2015 doesn't change the fact it's 2024 and a number of things have happened. And I am not someone hoping they leave, I'm commenting on what has happened over the past 2 months and this notion that Smith's comments are not structured with the blessing of the league. If you believe he did this on his own without bettmans blessing you havent tracked history of the commissioner's retribution on groups that go renegade, as well as how he rewards people that follow his script. Bettman is much smarter and calculated than most people give him credit for.

I'm sure he's got Bettman's blessing. But I'm also sure he issued his statement the week after the Miller Family said virtually the same thing to MLB, and put up "Utah wants the A's" billboards prior to meeting with them about a temp home.

The dots being connected by the hockey media is from Salt Lake to the Coyotes, crafting a narrative of:

NHL does a total 180 on their commitment to Phoenix (and existing markets)
Violates their constitution as it pertains to rights bestowed to owners by forcing a sale
Leaves a 6m market for a 2.5m market.
Sabotages what's been an actual goal this whole time, and the BETTER outcome (a PHX arena)
Costs themselves billions by not selling SLC an expansion team (and with them ATL).

That's five really big stretches right there. Four of those things no one would really believe would be happening EXCEPT for Smith's statement. (And maybe it's all true, who knows. Smart people can do dumb things).

I'm just saying that FIVE WORDS better explain Smith's press release: "Smith wants to go first."

Smith wants to get an NBA/NHL arena from SLC/Utah before they pay for Miller's proposed MLB stadium. Of course he wants to go first. And wouldn't Bettman want Smith to go first, too? Is there any reason Bettman wouldn't sign off on Smith's statement?

Reactions: Primary Assist

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
I still think they play next season at Mullet - and if they move this season, I will forever think it was a disguised lame duck year, with all plans of actually trying to stay in Phoenix half-hearted at best.
If this season was a cover for an eventual relocation at the end of it, I don't see why they'd work with the committee that does land bids. They could have just continued to say "we're evaluating all options and hope to announce something soon." I don't think the NHL wants that group to think they are just part of the charade. Who knows who they know or where they'll be if/when the NHL wants to come back at some point in the future. Maybe it wouldn't matter, but it's not a risk the league would want to take. Same goes for Meruelo.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I'm sure he's got Bettman's blessing. But I'm also sure he issued his statement the week after the Miller Family said virtually the same thing to MLB, and put up "Utah wants the A's" billboards prior to meeting with them about a temp home.

The dots being connected by the hockey media is from Salt Lake to the Coyotes, crafting a narrative of:

Violates their constitution as it pertains to rights bestowed to owners by forcing a sale
Sabotages what's been an actual goal this whole time, and the BETTER outcome (a PHX arena)
Costs themselves billions by not selling SLC an expansion team (and with them ATL).

That's five really big stretches right there. Four of those things no one would really believe would be happening EXCEPT for Smith's statement. (And maybe it's all true, who knows. Smart people can do dumb things).

I'm just saying that FIVE WORDS better explain Smith's press release: "Smith wants to go first."

Smith wants to get an NBA/NHL arena from SLC/Utah before they pay for Miller's proposed MLB stadium. Of course he wants to go first. And wouldn't Bettman want Smith to go first, too? Is there any reason Bettman wouldn't sign off on Smith's statement?
Your 5 "stretches" have all been addressed and accounted for through even basic reporting, hell even Friedman has addressed all this items on his own. They aren't mystery items.

Reactions: hui43210

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
If this season was a cover for an eventual relocation at the end of it, I don't see why they'd work with the committee that does land bids. They could have just continued to say "we're evaluating all options and hope to announce something soon." I don't think the NHL wants that group to think they are just part of the charade. Who knows who they know or where they'll be if/when the NHL wants to come back at some point in the future. Maybe it wouldn't matter, but it's not a risk the league would want to take. Same goes for Meruelo.

If the land process is serious, it will probably be ongoing past any reasonable relocation deadline, and then the team will be in Mullett next year.

Last edited:

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
basic reporting of something illogical doesn't make something logical, nor does putting something logical in "quotes" make it illogical as much as you want to dismiss it.
While this is a true statement, there are more moving parts in this situation than anyone -- outside the league's head office and its 32 governors -- could possibly know. It's likely that both of you are correct.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012

I wonder about MLB in Utah. I know the Jazz try to limit Sunday home games due to Mormon beliefs. That would be impossible with baseball.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

I just wanted to comment on this one point. Not that long ago, the NHL left a 6 million people market in order to go to a 800k market. Sometimes that's just what happens.

I agree that everything being equal the league would rather be in Phoenix than SLC. But sometimes everything isn't equal.

That being said - am I predicting the Coyotes will move to SLC? Oh HELLS NO! I have no idea. I'm just sitting in the back munching on popcorn...

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
What is going on with Arizona. Now their baseball team is having issues getting a lease/arena deal done?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
What is going on with Arizona. Now their baseball team is having issues getting a lease/arena deal done?

Nothing new, other than the most recent team statement. The squabble between the Diamondbacks MLB team and the city/county to upgrade the current stadium, or build a new stadium (with taxpayer funding) has been going on for at least a half dozen years.

p.s. the team wants a new publicly funded stadium.

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Nothing new, other than the most recent team statement. The squabble between the Diamondbacks MLB team and the city/county to upgrade the current stadium, or build a new stadium (with taxpayer funding) has been going on for at least a half dozen years.

p.s. the team wants a new publicly funded stadium.

To put it in another perspective ….

Ken Kendrick makes Robert Sarver look like the best pro sports franchise owner in Arizona….. ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad