CXLVII - Is this the 'Final Countdown' in Arizona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Unreal, so the NHL will be in a box here bc if the league pulls the plug and relocates prior to the auction then there will be a massive lawsuit based on not giving the ownership the opportunity to finalize THIS deal, if they wait until June and the coyotes don't win the auction then the league doesn't have time to move prior to next season. The timing of activities the last couple months probably isn't a mistake (when certain things were initiated) bc it plops this auction right into a time that puts the league in an almost impossible situation and probably ensures the coyotes are staying through next season regardless.

It would be tight, but not impossible. Jets didn't have very long either.

I wouldn't be surprised if the league made backdoor arrangements with SLC/Ryan Smith so if the Coyotes fail once again, they will have everything ready for a relocation.

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Yeah AZ is so unique.
You can't go to games because traffic.
Your TV ratings sucks for reasons no one can explain but the interest is actually there.
You can't get an arena deal done because your government structure is complicated.
The team couldn't pay their property tax bills because they moved to a different office and the bill didn't get forwarded,
You can't get a decent owner because no one understands how awesome an opportunity it is to own a hockey team in Arizona.

So I'll take from the condescending attitude you really didn't have much a point to begin with other than to bring up old narratives. :thumbu::thumbu:

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
It would be tight, but not impossible. Jets didn't have very long either.

I wouldn't be surprised if the league made backdoor arrangements with SLC/Ryan Smith so if the Coyotes fail once again, they will have everything ready for a relocation.

OK, but Jets announced on May 31. The negotiations had been going on for weeks beforehand.

You can't negotiate a billion dollar purchase and sale on a cocktail napkin - it all takes time to just do the deal itself.. The league can't wait until June and THEN decide to relocate the team.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
OK, but Jets announced on May 31. The negotiations had been going on for weeks beforehand.

You can't negotiate a billion dollar purchase and sale on a cocktail napkin - it all takes time to just do the deal itself.. The league can't wait until June and THEN decide to relocate the team.

Fact of the matter is the Jets relocation was literally years in the works. First mention of it was by Al Strachan in Oct 2009, with the backers already identified.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
Given this real estate decision timeline, I find it unlikely the Coyotes play anywhere else but Mullett next season. Either they're doing it to a packed house, excited for a franchise future in Arizona, or it will be in a virtual ghost town with a relocation looming.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Fact of the matter is the Jets relocation was literally years in the works. First mention of it was by Al Strachan in Oct 2009, with the backers already identified.

TNSE had been working with the NHL for quite a while, but I'm not sure when they went to a handshake deal, and then finally papering the deal.

Devils 3silverones

Sep 13, 2017
And the league said there's no news until there was news.
Kinda... Until it was "leaked". Then there was news. Then the Atl team was moving.
It was a VERY well held card by both NHL and TNSE.
No Balkans' were around. Nor, now.. Anyway.

I'm tired of saying the same thing too.

TNSE had a plan. With a SIGNIFICANTLY larger bankroll than well, most.
And they did it. Good for them, blah blah..
Who cares. If AM gets a plot of land and can rent a bulldozer, awesome.

Winnipeg(tnse) did a job they had to do for 16 years. And got it right from 1997. With an IHL franchise.
At the time of a broken city from NHL to. Zero league.
They got it done.
Miss AZ central. Jimmy. rip.

Nobody for whatever reason in AZ (coyotes) has done anything right.

No news until there is news? Right?

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
The NHL could have moved the team LONG ago. What's one more season on a lease that they have already signed?
You know the answer to that so why ask it...

So, last relocation was announced May 31, which is close enough to June. So I suppose if the auction was really early in June - but then the relocation has to by then be fully negotiated and signed and ready to go.

So yeah - a June auction probably means no relocation this summer - unless the whole auction process is a sham.
Doesn't matter bc land purchase is just one part of this. If the auction falls through then that's obvious but even if it goes through you then have the rest of the process. Unless the land auction falls through that team is staying for another season. I wouldn't be shocked to see the auction (delayed) to safely buy them more time and ensure another season.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004

You're assuming the league hasn't been working on this already. Smith is okay being used by the league to pressure arz. He's a pawn with arz but in return he is going to get a team one way or the other. I would be shocked if a league run by lawyers doesn't already have the deal fully designed and validated if they do make a move to take control of the team. They have had plenty of time to do it. Smith didn't make a public request to the league to open expansion process, he did it with the league blessing to put pressure on everything and "talk" to arz and the yotes as another mouthpiece of the league. This is all structured. Does anyone really think that if Ryan Smith made a request to the league for anything he would have to do it publicly? There is no such thing as open the expansion process, the league has openly told places if you have something then bring it to us...

Last edited:

Devils 3silverones

Sep 13, 2017
Card under sleave.
32 players with one 1 chip in.
31 players are pulling out.

1 player can't add..
The dealer says.... Mhhhh. Re shufuffullllllll.
4 or 5 times.
Riverboat is docking... Uncle Jesse is tossed over. (Maverick reff).
There is no magic. Am has it or it is done.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
You know the answer to that so why ask it...

Doesn't matter bc land purchase is just one part of this. If the auction falls through then that's obvious but even if it goes through you then have the rest of the process. Unless the land auction falls through that team is staying for another season. I wouldn't be shocked to see the auction (delayed) to safely buy them more time and ensure another season.

No, I don't. Everyone here is making assumptions. But if the plan is to try and keep the Coyotes in AZ, then they should be fine with another year in Arizona at Mullett. Who says AM isn't willing to cover the losses of the team to make the NHL whole? The "insiders" don't even know what's going on to be fair. Nobody knew that the team applied for 200 acres, and decided to reduce it to 100 until AFTER the fact. It's all speculation and nobody knows exactly what's going on behind closed doors.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
You're assuming the league hasn't been working on this already. Smith is okay being used by the league to pressure arz. He's a pawn with srz but in return he is going to get a team one way or the other. I would be shocked if a league run by lawyers doesn't already have the deal fully designed and validated if they do make a move to take control of the team. They have had plenty of time to do it. Smith didn't make a public request to the league to open expansion process, he did it with the league blessing to put pressure on everything and "talk" to arz and the yotes as another mouthpiece of the league. This is all structured.
I'm completely inclined to agree here. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to learn that Bettman helped Smith's group with the finer details of that press release asking for the league to open the expansion application process, with a very brief mention of his building to maybe put some additional pressure on the Coyotes and Meruelo.

The eleventh hour has been reached. Smith knows it, we know it, and Meruelo knows it. At this point, I guess the biggest thing coming in the near future is the employee meeting with Meruelo, and the inevitable details that will come out about that meeting. I just hope there's good news coming soon.
No, I don't. Everyone here is making assumptions. But if the plan is to try and keep the Coyotes in AZ, then they should be fine with another year in Arizona at Mullett. Who says AM isn't willing to cover the losses of the team to make the NHL whole? The "insiders" don't even know what's going on to be fair. Nobody knew that the team applied for 200 acres, and decided to reduce it to 100 until AFTER the fact. It's all speculation and nobody knows exactly what's going on behind closed doors.

They should be fine with it, from a league stability standpoint... but they're not from an optics standpoint. Not to mention, as has been pointed out more than once, the players don't like Mullett or the surrounding area. So there's a number of issues with that, which seems to be contributing to the negative feelings around the league.

Only one thing, at this point, is certain: No one is happy with this arrangement.

GreenHornet

Mar 3, 2011
Norcross, GA
The eleventh hour has been reached. Smith knows it, we know it, and Meruelo knows it. At this point, I guess the biggest thing coming in the near future is the employee meeting with Meruelo, and the inevitable details that will come out about that meeting. I just hope there's good news coming soon.
That reminds me, I seem to recall the Meruelo meeting with the 'Yotes employees is supposed to take place this week, but I don't remember exactly when.

Roadrage

Mar 25, 2010
Next door
BTW…. briefly had an exchange with Tony Cani on X today.

Told me he has seen the Coyotes making donations to the PACs of multiple Phoenix city council members

AZ Republic did report Meruelo and company met with one city councilman last summer around the time the the application to the trust was filed.

So it’s probably safe to presume the groundwork is being done on Meruelo’s end to have things rolling if this land purchase is completed.

….. in about 3 months. :laugh:
Is 3 months the new 2 weeks?

Reactions: Stumbledore

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
If Mullett should lose the Coyotes...it would be an excellent facility for Ishbia's new G League...

Phoenix Suns buy G League team, looking for arena in the Valley

To quote:

“The right size for the G League is like [a capacity of] 3,000 to 5,000,” [Suns CEO Josh] Bartelstein said. “You need to find a balance where you can generate revenue, but that’s not too big where it is cavernous and you lose the atmosphere.""

Source (Paywall): www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2024/02/14/phoenix-suns-buy-g-league-team.html

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
So I'll take from the condescending attitude you really didn't have much a point to begin with other than to bring up old narratives. :thumbu::thumbu:

Actually I compiled the old narratives that the Arizona Apologists keep bringing up every time someone points out how ridiculous it is this situation has dragged on.

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Actually I compiled the old narratives that the Arizona Apologists keep bringing up every time someone points out how ridiculous it is this situation has dragged on.
Just what I thought…

When you’re ready to discuss current things that matter let us know.

• Haha
Reactions: HolyCrap

Roadrage

Mar 25, 2010
Next door
Question for comparative purposes: while I’m guessing someone guessed a number, is $100M close for those 100 acres?

Then timeline: the Portland Beavers were still holding out hope for a Beaverton ballpark as late as early spring 2010, but by June 10, a couple players (behind me on a flight back from Reno) told a lady that they were gone after the season. The sale and relocation wasn’t officially announced until October, but there were 20,000 people in the stadium on Labor Day 2010 knowing it was the last game in Portland without the actual announcement. For all we know…
I thought I read somewhere when another parcel of land very close by to this parcel is went to auction, the winning bid for like ~45 acres ended up being around $85 million. Getting old sucks when I can't remember things like this anymore.

Last edited:

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Is 3 months the new 2 weeks?
Check back in two weeks to find out!
That reminds me, I seem to recall the Meruelo meeting with the 'Yotes employees is supposed to take place this week, but I don't remember exactly when.
Apparently, according to a comment in a Reddit thread, that meeting was supposed to take place yesterday. The link goes directly to the comment, though it doesn't appear (as of this posting) anyone has any details on it.

If that meeting happened, I suppose any leaks should be imminent?

Reactions: GreenHornet

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I thought I read somewhere when another parcel of land very close by to this parcel is went to auction, the winning bid for like ~45 acres ended up being around $85 million. Getting old sucks when I can't remember things like this anymore.

That one was total outlier if you look at the entire list.

It was caught up in a massive bidding war between a couple of medical companies (80 total bids).

There were two other parcels 2-3 miles west of the parcel Meruelo applied for that went for $29 (and $29.4) million. One was 37 acres and the other 115 acres. Both sold a week apart and with single bids.

Here's the list from 2018 to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad