CXLVII - Is this the 'Final Countdown' in Arizona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
It’s paywall unfortunately but the Coyotes have put in an app for state trust land.

(Fun Fact: Meruelo’s new company in the app is named “Miracle Development”. Enjoy. :laugh:)

Last edited:

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Cute, let's try this again

So provide proof that these imaginary California Unions Exist, and a reason why Arizona's most powerful Union would want to help them.

Why should I care now? That train left the station. If you’re looking to score brownie points you’re in the wrong place.

but… I’ll let you in on where I got it from…. the accusations on California unions came from the former Tempe mayor who was leading the negotiations for TED with the city. Don’t recall his name atm and I’m not going to waste even more time looking back for it because it’s moot at this stage.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
In the AZ Central article above it states this application was filed in late June but appears to be updated mid January to have ties to the Coyotes.

Also the quote from Gutierrez

I can confirm that we have submitted an application,” Coyotes CEO Xavier Gutierrez told The Arizona Republic on Friday. “But ... I’m confirming with you that, as I’ve made very clear on a number of occasions, we are looking at multiple sites and we are not yet ready to announce which is the one that we are going to pursue as the primary one.”

Was the quote from this Friday, as in today? If so, why still mention they're looking at multiple sites? Surely they should be well past that stage by now.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
A few details from the article:

1) the bid was made by a group called "Miracle Development LLC, which has the same address as the Coyotes front office.

2) the proposal was actually initially made by a law firm, and the reporter talked to a lawyer with that firm who said they were no longer involved in the project - reporter establishes that kind of setup is pretty odd.

Reactions: Llama19

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Orange Country Adjacent
so like on top of the Mogollon Rim?? Is this a joke??

It's right off the freeway. Good land and smart to keep it in Phoenix and not Scottsdale.

proposed site.jpg

He just is going to have to outbid probably every heavyweight developer in the region to get it.

Should be fun to watch hell I might go in person :popcorn: "Miracle Development" indeed.

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Application not on the current agenda for next Thursday (February 8th) but could be added as long as it’s posted at least 24 hours prior to the trust board’s meeting.

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
Reactions: TheLegend

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
My concern is the cost….200 acres of prime real estate is going to cost a pretty penny.

How would it work, they apply to buy the land and it goes to auction?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I feel like given the opportunity, that Bettman would’ve made mention of this if it was a truly a game-changing development. He’s never been shy to present effusion when it comes to the Coyotes situation prior to the TED vote. This bidding on the land, I think we knew this was going on. Don’t think we knew it was 200 acres though.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I feel like given the opportunity, that Bettman would’ve made mention of this if it was a truly a game-changing development. He’s never been shy to present effusion when it comes to the Coyotes situation prior to the TED vote. This bidding on the land, I think we knew this was going on. Don’t think we knew it was 200 acres though.

Why would he comment on it if it wasn't public knowledge to this point? Sure he would know what is going on, but if the owner hasn't made a comment on it, why should Bettman?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Why would he comment on it if it wasn't public knowledge to this point? Sure he would know what is going on, but if the owner hasn't made a comment on it, why should Bettman?
Which asks the question of why they waited until after the press conference to confirm it.

Reactions: Fairview

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

I would suggest the events of the past few days with Salt Lake City’s request for a team that prompted the speculation about relocation is the reason this news about the state land bid is coming out.

Otherwise we’d all still be looking at maps around Phoenix metro wondering where they were looking.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Timing.

The Salt Lake City News put pressure on them to do something.

And as I believe was suggested earlier it keeps others from injecting themselves into whatever their plans are.
That doesn’t answer the question, nothing would have changed if they did this Thursday night

Reactions: Fairview

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Now buy the land, unveil an arena plan, get it approved, and start building.
And this is where I'm really interested. Just the process to get to putting shovels in the ground is huge. Appraisals, environmental, bank approvals, etc... can take a very long time. And then there's the actual construction. Could easily be another 3 seasons in Mullet.

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
That doesn’t answer the question, nothing would have changed if they did this Thursday night

Could be just coincidence in the order it all came out.

Nevertheless we know a little more now than we did before.

But there’s still a ton of unanswered questions.

The article in the Republic mentioned the Coyotes did talk to a Phoenix councilman who I’m presuming has the district this parcel sits in.

What was their ask?

If they’re avoiding any public vote they’re going to need to know what the rules of the game are. Phoenix managed to avoid one with the renovations to Footprint but you’d have to think this is going to raise a few eyebrows now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad