CXLVII - Is this the 'Final Countdown' in Arizona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
This audio/article should help explain the process...

AZ state land sales are up this year. A peek inside how these auctions work

Source (Audio/article): kjzz.org/content/1862925/az-state-land-sales-are-year-peek-inside-how-these-auctions-work

Note the cost of just 48 acres in last paragraph...
Wow…. $56 million to $84 million that’s a jump.

So if that’s roughly cost….a 200 acre parcel would be a starting bid in the $225 million for that parcel.

And that’s if there is no bids. Wild

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
This audio/article should help explain the process...

AZ state land sales are up this year. A peek inside how these auctions work

Source (Audio/article): kjzz.org/content/1862925/az-state-land-sales-are-year-peek-inside-how-these-auctions-work

Note the cost of just 48 acres in last paragraph...

$56 million and change if I'm reading it correctly?? (Edit: My mistake... $84 million)

Meruelo was going to pay $50 million and change for 46 acres in Tempe.

Land sale
 Developer will acquire and develop the 46 acres of city property in four phases.
 The developer will pay the initial purchase price of the land in two specific amounts for the land: $40 million for Phase 1A and $10.3 million for Phase 2A. The initial $40 million will be deposited and will be nonrefundable once remediation starts on that first phase of land.  Developer’s deposit will be used for remediation of the land. The developer will take title to land parcels after remediation is completed and once developer remediation funds are replenished by the Community Facilities District (CFD), further described below, will pay the city for the value of the land.

(Edit 2)
Sizable difference between open bidding on land and a negotiated land deal.

And people wonder why there's not enough low cost housing. Yikes.

Last edited:

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
In the AZ Central article above it states this application was filed in late June but appears to be updated mid January to have ties to the Coyotes.

Also the quote from Gutierrez

I can confirm that we have submitted an application,” Coyotes CEO Xavier Gutierrez told The Arizona Republic on Friday. “But ... I’m confirming with you that, as I’ve made very clear on a number of occasions, we are looking at multiple sites and we are not yet ready to announce which is the one that we are going to pursue as the primary one.”

Was the quote from this Friday, as in today? If so, why still mention they're looking at multiple sites? Surely they should be well past that stage by now.

I thought XG’s quote was odd myself and I’m not really buying it.

Maybe it was applicable last June, but not now IMO.

Reactions: Stumbledore

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Coyotes State Land Auction Flowchart...

1706988236899.png

Attachments

• 1706986149915.png
    1706986149915.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I mean, yes, that flowchart makes sense, in the fact that there's a long path ahead. but I completely disagree "move franchise" should be on the right.

"Continuing limbo" would be better.

Continuing limbo where the complaints get louder and louder about Mullett arena?

Here's some recent comments from Marty Walsh:
“I have serious concerns about Arizona,” Walsh said to reporters at the NHL All-Star media availability on Friday. “I’m extremely disappointed with the ownership of Arizona, with the president of Arizona (Xavier Gutierrez). They have not reached out to the NHLPA and talk to us about what the situation in Arizona is.

Walsh said since he took over as executive director in March 2023, he and the NHLPA have worked to grow the game in markets like Arizona, but that the franchise “doesn’t seem interested in having conversations with the union that represents the players that play on their team.”

“You can buy a piece of land. How long will it take you to permit the land? Do you need a referendum? Is there hazardous waste, do you need to remediate the land?” Walsh said. “So you can talk about buying land in Arizona and it can be 10 years before a shovel goes in the ground.

“How long do you wait to get a home? They’re playing in a college arena and they’re the second tenant in that arena,” Walsh continued. “This is not the way to run a business.”

And recent comments from The Athletic's NHL player poll:
“That arena is dogs—,” one player said.

“Should never be in the NHL,” added another.

“It’s pathetic,” said a third. “It’s not The Show. Can’t take it seriously.”

Dogs— Arena does have a nice ring to it.

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Hmmmm….

That same Athletic article shows four other cities are worse locations than “dog——“

Two a LOT worse.

IMG_3922.jpeg

So we have four other places the players think is worse than a college arena in Arizona.

And Marty isn’t being entirely honest about this.

IMG_3923.jpeg

It’s been confirmed that the PA has never tried to contact the Meruelo’s since Walsh visited the arena in Tempe last year.

While Walsh expressed disappointment that the Coyotes had not updated him on their arena search, it should be noted that an NHLPA spokesperson confirmed to PHNX Sports’ Craig Morgan that Walsh has not called or requested any recent meetings with the Coyotes. The spokesperson said that Walsh was expecting updates based on a meeting with the Coyotes last year.

So without knowing what actually transpired between them at that time we have somewhat of a “he said, they said” moment here.

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
Hmmmm….

That same Athletic article shows four other cities are worse locations than “dog——“

Two a LOT worse.

View attachment 814367

So we have four other places the players think is worse than a college arena in Arizona.
I'm from Winnipeg and live 4 hours away,....I can vouch for this...no one likes Winnipeg. It's a disgusting place.

K so...an application has been submitted. You had mentioned they may get around a bidding process? Or will they have to go through the whole environmental studies etc and then wait for the bidding process?

I just wonder how deep AM's pockets are. This project and then the other major project he has going on for an ED in Reno at the same time. Just seems like a wild amount of risk to take at the same time. But he's the billionaire...not me.

Reactions: TheLegend

Devils 3silverones

Sep 13, 2017
Hmmmm….

Two a LOT worse.

View attachment 814367

And Marty isn’t being entirely honest about this.

View attachment 814368

It’s been confirmed that the PA has never tried to contact the Meruelo’s since Walsh visited the arena in Tempe last year.

So without knowing what actually transpired between them at that time we have somewhat of a “he said, they said” moment here.
Neat! Them four other cities have a rink. As bad as its must be in those cities. Considering a team. Lands, checks into a hotel , playes a hockey game, goes to airport and leaves.
Tough love i suppose. Imagine going to a city of millions and leaving just after the game ends... Or. Leaving ottawa or Winnipeg after the same amount of time.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Continuing limbo where the complaints get louder and louder about Mullett arena?

Completely, unironically, yes.

Walsh's comments are a giant nothing - we know the PA has felt like that since day 1 in Mullett.

And if this land proposal turns into an arena, they'll be there for multiple years more probably.

Lions67

Mar 6, 2018
Winnipeg
Maybe by the time that an arena finally gets built the league will come back and offer an expansion team. Not sure if the NHL wants a 40 team league though 🤣

Reactions: Fairview

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
It's not looking good coyotes fans. Bettman was awfully shaky, but Fertitta didn't want to pay 600-700 mil a few years ago, he's not going to want to pay now, that's forsure.

I'm not sure what's going to happen, but it seems the BOG is finally at it's end point.

Reactions: Fairview

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Neat! Them four other cities have a rink. As bad as its must be in those cities. Considering a team. Lands, checks into a hotel , playes a hockey game, goes to airport and leaves.
Tough love i suppose. Imagine going to a city of millions and leaving just after the game ends... Or. Leaving ottawa or Winnipeg after the same amount of time.
You have expect some negative reaction from a few players about playing in a college size arena. (Especially when they come in and lose. :sarcasm:)

I know it isn’t an ideal situation and neither do most Coyotes fans. But we’re making the best we can of it and just have to hope that “Miracle” comes through.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
It's not looking good coyotes fans. Bettman was awfully shaky, but Fertitta didn't want to pay 600-700 mil a few years ago, he's not going to want to pay now, that's forsure.

I'm not sure what's going to happen, but it seems the BOG is finally at it's end point.

I'm no Coyotes fan but I've heard this kind of shit countless times before. This team isn't dead until it's officially dead.

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I'm from Winnipeg and live 4 hours away,....I can vouch for this...no one likes Winnipeg. It's a disgusting place.

K so...an application has been submitted. You had mentioned they may get around a bidding process? Or will they have to go through the whole environmental studies etc and then wait for the bidding process?

I just wonder how deep AM's pockets are. This project and then the other major project he has going on for an ED in Reno at the same time. Just seems like a wild amount of risk to take at the same time. But he's the billionaire...not me.
This is all I know so far.

Land Trust has a meeting scheduled for Feb. 8.

The parcel the Coyotes are supposed to be applying for is not on that agenda but could be added in as long as it’s 24 hours prior to the meeting. And if I have it correctly, that would be just to set the auction.

Re Reno: It’s a concern. But it’s on a property he already owns and from what I can recall XG mentioned that property has its own reserves to draw from that’s been building over the years. It’s also a multi-phase project that could take a decade to finish.

Reactions: oldunclehue

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
You have expect some negative reaction from a few players about playing in a college size arena. (Especially when they come in and lose. :sarcasm:)

I know it isn’t an ideal situation and neither do most Coyotes fans. But we’re making the best we can of it and just have to hope that “Miracle” comes through.
I don't think he realizes teams don't just land, check in to a hotel and then play a game and leave. I have a friend who plays in the NHL, does this happen? Sometimes. But often when on road trips they come in to a city a day or two before a game or while on a longer roadtrip they may spend 2-3 days in a city. Downtime in places like Winnipeg would suck.....most teams stay at a hotel in the middle of downtown where its a cesspool of drug addicts, homeless people, hookers and in winter everything is grey/brown coloured covered in dirt and grim from winter driving/salt/gravel. The players are often left to Uber or walk around to check things out. Did I mention Winnipeg is the crime capital of Canada? So downtown is often sirens, cop cars, gun shots, stabbings and all things inbetween.

The nearest decent mall would be about a 20 minute drive from where they stay, fancy restaurants exist but are scattered all over. Nightlife is also pretty crap in Winnipeg and I doubt any NHLer would want to risk going to clubs or pubs in Winnipeg due to being identified pretty quickly and then bombarded with people.

So of course its the worst....who wants to go to a city like that and on top of it...most of the NHL season its -20 degrees Celsius or colder.

Also....Jets are floating in the top of the league so come to that and then likely lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad