CXLVII - Is this the 'Final Countdown' in Arizona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Just to reiterate, I am not a relocationist. I don't really care if they move or not. My only thought is that I don't want to see cities bent over backward in order to keep the team around. If Meruelo finds property he likes, and he builds the arena on his own dime, or even mostly on his own dime, I'm fine with that.

It's his money after all.

I just think that this situation with Smith coming forward, and league insiders acknowledging the threat to the Coyotes, is weird.
Timing is everything….

Smith wants a new arena and ED for the Jazz and add an NHL team in as another feature.

Because……

SLC is bidding for the Olympics (and the arena that would come with it) so he really doesn’t care how he gets a franchise.

Having an NHL club adds more into the equation of him getting the public to go for it. The fact Meruelo has had trouble getting the arena situation settled makes it easy for him to throw that in.

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012

Exactly what could Bettman do to force a change if Meruelo doesn't want to sell? Unless there is an agreement that Meruelo has "X" number of years to find a permanent home or he loses the rights to the franchise, I'm not sure how. It will be costly and time consuming to force a sale, with Meruelo likely to sue in response if he wants to keep trying. They could freeze him out of the plum ownership committees and make sure he never hosts and All-Star Game or Entry Draft.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Just remember that Walsh is a politician.

Which isn't to totally invalidate what he said, but just to remember that his job is spin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edenjung

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Just remember that Walsh is a politician.

Which isn't to totally invalidate what he said, but just to remember that his job is spin.
Someone on our discord noted all his previous accomplishments. (posting this tongue in cheekish)

-Botched the Olympics bid
-Couldn't get Amazon HQ2 after cozying up to them
-Thought he got GE's new headquarters before they ditched him too
-Had a cup of coffee as Biden's Labor Secretary before bailing out
-"Methadone Mile" opioid camp got out of control

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Someone on our discord noted all his previous accomplishments. (posting this tongue in cheekish)

-Botched the Olympics bid
-Couldn't get Amazon HQ2 after cozying up to them
-Thought he got GE's new headquarters before they ditched him too
-Had a cup of coffee as Biden's Labor Secretary before bailing out
-"Methadone Mile" opioid camp got out of control

Speaking of spin :laugh:

Recently we were talking about the optics-focused owners and the fiscal-focused owners. Walsh is clearly trying to push the optics-focused owners when he comes out with stuff like this.

And again, he probably does have some valid complaints... but they're also undoubtedly being spun for a particular audience.

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The same trade unions that paid a quarter million dollars to sink the Entertainment District. :laugh:

Cute.

But then which one?

The union from California that wanted to muscle in on the project? Or the three locals who were endorsing the ED because Meruelo wanted to use them instead?

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
Cute.

But then which one?

The union from California that wanted to muscle in on the project? Or the three locals who were endorsing the ED because Meruelo wanted to use them instead?
Not on this topic, but you are the running expert on this. How's things economy wise down there? I am reading more and more about companies doing mass layoffs all over north America. That is usually the first sign that things are going to get bad. Corporations pay consultants the big bucks to tell them when to lay people off and get ahead of a downturn before its too late.

I know Phoenix area was hid quite hard in 2008, so just curious if its starting to be noticed again.

Be a hell of a time to find investors in a 2 billion privately funded ED if things are on the downswing.

Thoughts?

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Exactly what could Bettman do to force a change if Meruelo doesn't want to sell? Unless there is an agreement that Meruelo has "X" number of years to find a permanent home or he loses the rights to the franchise, I'm not sure how. It will be costly and time consuming to force a sale, with Meruelo likely to sue in response if he wants to keep trying. They could freeze him out of the plum ownership committees and make sure he never hosts and All-Star Game or Entry Draft.

I was wondering about this myself. Technically, he could hold onto the team for at least the next three years as he has a lease at Mullet Arena. I have to imagine that he is losing money big time though.

Reactions: Llama19

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Orange Country Adjacent
Cute.

But then which one?

Please provide proof or we'll have to conclude you're lying or you have memory issues.

CASE became Worker Power in early 2023 and their Lawyers' office is located in California, and it was UA 469 (Arizona's most powerful Union) that Donated to Worker Power in April.

Screenshot_20240202-154102.png

Screenshot_20231223-212215.png
Screenshot_20231223-212303 (1).png

Reactions: Llama19

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
So, big presser today, no relocation announced, nothing new really in general. Bummer, I was really hoping for this site to explode.

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Not on this topic, but you are the running expert on this. How's things economy wise down there? I am reading more and more about companies doing mass layoffs all over north America. That is usually the first sign that things are going to get bad. Corporations pay consultants the big bucks to tell them when to lay people off and get ahead of a downturn before its too late.

I know Phoenix area was hid quite hard in 2008, so just curious if its starting to be noticed again.

Be a hell of a time to find investors in a 2 billion privately funded ED if things are on the downswing.

Thoughts?

Great question.

I don’t to consider myself to be an “expert” as I was caught in the housing bubble myself, but right now from what I’m seeing housing and industrial growth in the logistics and tech areas don’t seem to be slowing down.

OTOH we’re talking about a third sports arena/ED going up in a metro where one of the other two (Glendale) has had difficulty over the years getting non-sporting events in comparison to its older sibling (Footprint/Phoenix).

Reactions: Stumbledore

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Please provide proof or we'll have to conclude you're lying or you have memory issues.

CASE became Worker Power in early 2023 and their Lawyers' office is located in California, and it was UA 469 (Arizona's most powerful Union) that Donated to Worker Power in April.

View attachment 814088

View attachment 814089View attachment 814090
I knew about CASE.

And they were the first group outside of Sky Harbor to start whining about the arena and joined Worker Power AFTER the vote.

So?

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
That was never going to happen.

Yup, not at the all-star game.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get a "nothing-announcement" soon though - something small like a press release like:

"The Arizona Coyotes remain committed to building a new arena in the Phoenix area, and are continuing to work on several potential locations."

And if it's a true statement, you might as well announce next year will be in the ASU arena again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad