CXLVII - Is this the 'Final Countdown' in Arizona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
There is a thought that came to my mind, and I am not sure what to make of it, so I am throwing it out here for discussion.....

Does anyone else think that the NHL itself has reacted in an uncharacteristic manner to the news about Utah asking for an open expansion process?

There is a lot of speculation that this is an indication of something going down with the Coyotes, even from Freidman, who spoke about relocation again today. And, the NHL hasn't done anything to dispel the rumors.

This seems different than their usual way of responding.

Thoughts?
I fully agree.

Though there has been efforts by prospective owners prior to an expansion process. There has never been, at least to my knowledge a would be owner publicly asking the league to start one.

Even more unusual is the league to be endorsing this.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
There is a thought that came to my mind, and I am not sure what to make of it, so I am throwing it out here for discussion.....

Does anyone else think that the NHL itself has reacted in an uncharacteristic manner to the news about Utah asking for an open expansion process?

There is a lot of speculation that this is an indication of something going down with the Coyotes, even from Freidman, who spoke about relocation again today. And, the NHL hasn't done anything to dispel the rumors.

This seems different than their usual way of responding.

Thoughts?
All of this feels different than past/usual reactions that the NHL or the pundits are usually spewing. It's starting to become ominous that the team has gone radio silent & so has the league. Almost like they are trying to keep a lid on this so the attendance doesn't crater in the 2nd half. Could it be they've finally used up all 9 lives?

I do feel bad for the fans who've stuck by them & actually care about the team, but unfortunately there just aren't enough of them in the market.

Reactions: Fairview

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
I fully agree.

Though there has been efforts by prospective owners prior to an expansion process. There has never been, at least to my knowledge a would be owner publicly asking the league to start one.

Even more unusual is the league to be endorsing this.

Thanks. I'm not speaking about the expansion process part. I'm more speaking about Friedman suggesting that it means there is a deadline for Arizona, and twice now, Friedman has brought that up in no uncertain terms. Even going so far as saying, "If the Coyotes relocate, it's not the end for hockey in Arizona, because it's a huge metro, and the league wants to be there." And, no official statement from Bettman or Daly squelching the idea of a relocation.

That's the part that strikes me as 'out of character." Usually, when anyone gets any air time and suggests something close to a relo for the Coyotes, the league (Bettman) will quickly make a firm statement dispelling relocation rumors. But nothing, only crickets, this time.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Thanks. I'm not speaking about the expansion process part. I'm more speaking about Friedman suggesting that it means there is a deadline for Arizona, and twice now, Friedman has brought that up in no uncertain terms. Even going so far as saying, "If the Coyotes relocate, it's not the end for hockey in Arizona, because it's a huge metro, and the league wants to be there." And, no official statement from Bettman or Daly squelching the idea of a relocation.

That's the part that strikes me as 'out of character." Usually, when anyone gets any air time and suggests something close to a relo for the Coyotes, the league (Bettman) will quickly make a firm statement dispelling relocation rumors. But nothing, only crickets, this time.
It's almost as they're softening the blow. Nothing like this has ever been uttered from the press prior to this. League insiders know where their bread is buttered & probably wouldn't say this without some type of approval.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Just to reiterate, I am not a relocationist. I don't really care if they move or not. My only thought is that I don't want to see cities bent over backward in order to keep the team around. If Meruelo finds property he likes, and he builds the arena on his own dime, or even mostly on his own dime, I'm fine with that.

It's his money after all.

I just think that this situation with Smith coming forward, and league insiders acknowledging the threat to the Coyotes, is weird.

Reactions: Stumbledore

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON

That's a good read too. Yes, the language towards the Coyotes seemed to have changed.

The market is still being endorsed. I have said for a while the issue has been a really bad business model that despite years of efforts they may be quietly saying it can't be fixed.

They seemed to admit that with Atlanta 13 years ago. Long term, the foundation is being prepared where it can comeback stronger. No reason this can't be applied to Phoenix

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I think it's pretty clear that the writing is on the wall and that hockey in Arizona is done for the time being.

It seemed obvious since TED IMO.

Feel for the die-hards.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I think it's pretty clear that the writing is on the wall and that hockey in Arizona is done for the time being.

It seemed obvious since TED IMO.

Feel for the die-hards.

The only thing though is - people (including myself) have said almost identical things over the last 15 years. Whether it was the team going into bankruptcy, or getting its lease cancelled and being evicted, or playing in a 5000 seats university arena - people have bee predicting their demise. And yet the team is STILL in Arizona.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Moved a few Saskatoon posts here:

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
To quickly re-iterate a point that got move (without the fluff that meant it should be moved).

It's clear markets are gearing up for NHL expansion, which I think might be good for the prospect of the Coyotes in Arizona.

A lot easier to sell an owner on investing in the future when you know those big-time expansion cheques are coming down the pipeline.

Reactions: RogerRoger

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
The only thing though is - people (including myself) have said almost identical things over the last 15 years. Whether it was the team going into bankruptcy, or getting its lease cancelled and being evicted, or playing in a 5000 seats university arena - people have bee predicting their demise. And yet the team is STILL in Arizona.
This team is the vampire franchise in all of hockey.

Reactions: CuuuJooo

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Orange Country Adjacent
Westin hotel and Wework Watermark latest casualties of Tempe and ASU's CRE overbuild.

The lender for the 290-room hotel near Seventh Street and Mill Avenue in downtown Tempe filed a notice of trustee sale earlier this week, according Maricopa County records. Such notices inform borrowers and property owners they are facing a potential foreclosure and auction sale.

The company intends to maintain its coworking space at The Watermark in Tempe, according to a recent bankruptcy filing, albeit with a reduced real estate footprint.

In addition, Carvana straight aborted their move in for their brand new campus in order for Ernie Garcia to lease it out.

Certainly would be a very crappy time to be forced into building a $2B Retail/Office/Apartment district in the Valley. This market is just about as volatile as they come right now.

Reactions: Llama19

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
It is so funny to see how the Coyotes saga has literally made a career for Craig Morgan, yet he literally slams "everyone" for having an agenda with everything but then holds his words as bible calling others "crazy." Wonder what the agenda is of his "source," yes that is a rhetorical question.

Last edited:

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Bla bla bla from Marty Walsh.
No wonder nobody from the organisation wants to talk to him.
I wouldn't talk to him, even if he is the last man on earth.
First and foremost the NHL and the owners are the ones they have to report too.
Its normal that you don't talk about a deal while making it, because then everybody likes to talk about it and wants to get involved.
That can bite you in the ample posterior really quick. So its better to not say a thing until you work everything out.

Last edited:

Devils 3silverones

Sep 13, 2017
It is so funny to see how the Coyotes saga has literally made a career for Craig Morgan. Literally slam "everyone" for having an agenda with everything but then holds his words as bible calling everyone else "crazy." Wonder what the agenda is of his "source."
cm is a hack.
The players union isn’t building the arena.

Trade unions may have a say though.
Nobody is building an arena.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad