CXLVII - Is this the 'Final Countdown' in Arizona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
While this particular site would not be an ideal arena location for the franchise’s considerable amount of season-ticket holders in the southern portion of the Southeast Valley — the commute is just as long to Glendale, given traffic patterns at rush hour

The Coyotes hope to structure the deal in a manner that will avoid a public vote, but the team would still need some tax abatements to offset the construction cost so it is unclear how they will bridge those two realities.
Sounds like a great recipe for success 🤷‍♂️

• Haha
Reactions: Slashers98

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Reddit posting coincidence?

New Rumored Coyotes Arena Site is on State Owned Land

To quote:

"Doing some research on the land in the area that is the new rumored Coyotes Arena Site, it is own by the Arizona Land Trust, which has been auctioning off a lot of land recently. The only other land in the area that the Arena could go is owned by the Mayo Clinic, who bought it from the State 2 years ago to expand their campus and is unlikely to sale. Looks like the area is T4N R4E for how it will come up on the Arizona State Land website. Currently, there is no auction for State land in that area scheduled yet. I'm going to guess the State owned land is probably cheaper than privately owned options the Coyotes are looking at."

Source: www.reddit.com/r/Coyotes/comments/18ae6hb/new_rumored_coyotes_arena_site_is_on_state_owned/

Interesting sidenote...Chad Campbell is/was a longtime PR consultant for the Coyotes...under his company Lumen Strategies...which donated to Meruelo's Tempe Wins campaign...and he is now the Governor's Chief of Staff...

Campaign finance reports (cityoftempeaz.easyvotecampaignfinance.com/home/publicfilings)

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Reddit posting coincidence?

New Rumored Coyotes Arena Site is on State Owned Land

To quote:

"Doing some research on the land in the area that is the new rumored Coyotes Arena Site, it is own by the Arizona Land Trust, which has been auctioning off a lot of land recently. The only other land in the area that the Arena could go is owned by the Mayo Clinic, who bought it from the State 2 years ago to expand their campus and is unlikely to sale. Looks like the area is T4N R4E for how it will come up on the Arizona State Land website. Currently, there is no auction for State land in that area scheduled yet. I'm going to guess the State owned land is probably cheaper than privately owned options the Coyotes are looking at."

Source: www.reddit.com/r/Coyotes/comments/18ae6hb/new_rumored_coyotes_arena_site_is_on_state_owned/

Interesting sidenote...Chad Campbell is/was a longtime PR consultant for the Coyotes...under his company Lumen Strategies...which donated to Meruelo's Tempe Wins campaign...and he is now the Governor's Chief of Staff...

Campaign finance reports (cityoftempeaz.easyvotecampaignfinance.com/home/publicfilings)
Heh.. always suspicious. :laugh:

Found similar info on X/Twitter just yesterday from someone not connected to the Coyotes AFAIK (unless this Mr. Campbell is using an alias.)

Area is up along the Loop101 between the 56th and 64th Street exchanges.

My speculation here is iif it’s state owned land it would not be within a city’s boundaries.

But it does require an auction.

This article explains the process.

Reactions: Stumbledore

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
The cynic in me says we will be having the same debate here this time next season. No resolutions with a possible upcoming extension at Mullet Arena.
Cynics in here? I'm shocked!

Catering to Phoenix's aging wealthy white demographic while every metric shows the county will be dominated by an ever growing Hispanic population by 2030 is certainly a recipe for something.
You're right, especially with how much time I've spent in and out of hospitals lately (fortunately, in Canada it's free). Us old white males are dying off and smart businesses will be targeting the changes in demographics.

Reactions: Shwan

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Catering to Phoenix's aging wealthy white demographic while every metric shows the county will be dominated by an ever growing Hispanic population by 2030 is certainly a recipe for something.

Whatever else you might say about Alex Meruelo, his entire career has been around catering to America's hispanic population so I am sure he won't forget about that demographic.

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Orange Country Adjacent
Whatever else you might say about Alex Meruelo, his entire career has been around catering to America's hispanic population so I am sure he won't forget about that demographic.

That's a fair point I'm willing to concede, we've just haven't seen inroads by either the NHL or by Meruelo on this point so far.

Maybe that'll change in the future.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019

The Arizona Coyotes are reportedly close to a decision on where to build their $2.1 billion sports and entertainment district, a move that could bring a major dose of stability to the long-struggling franchise. The new location would represent something of a compromise. It’s further away from Mesa and other areas in metro Phoenix’s southeast valley, which represents a sizable portion of the team’s season-ticket base. But it’s very near some of the wealthiest areas in north Scottsdale and Paradise Valley, and it’s closer to Glendale, the team’s previous home.

A final decision and announcement regarding the arena site is expected within the next several months. Despite years of uncertainty and lagging attendance, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has remained steadfast in his support of keeping the Coyotes in the country’s 11th-largest media market.

The Coyotes also remain in a state of transition with regard to local media rights. The team recently parted ways with the bankrupt Diamond Sports Group and struck a separate deal with Scripps Sports to show their games locally. That deal, however, changed the specific local TV channels used, and some fans found it difficult to find early-season games. The team also filed a formal claim against DSG in October seeking nearly $18 million in unpaid rights fees.

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
About this “catering to old white guys” thing…

(There’s more with a simple Google. Including the coaching diversity program started last year that other NHL teams are now looking into adopting. One of the original participants is now on the Coyotes staff.)

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast

(There’s more with a simple Google. Including the coaching diversity program started last year that other NHL teams are now looking into adopting. One of the original participants is now on the Coyotes staff.)
Just curious...Is there any indication that any of this is making an impact? Not sure if there are team figures that track diversity or demographics somehow.

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Orange Country Adjacent
Just curious...Is there any indication that any of this is making an impact? Not sure if there are team figures that track diversity or demographics somehow.

The last "Los Yotes" night was still like 90% white people from the eyeball test. Again that could simply be from the Hispanic population not wanting to pay the current prices to see the Coyotes though so things might change if they get an Arena but I doubt it.

The Coyotes would probably do a lot better trading for Alec Martinez than all that nonsense that was just posted :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Llama19

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Here's a helpful map for people on where Coyotes fans are now at with the latest arena rumors now that "County Island" is apparently out.

View attachment 777278

I get that the site you have on there isn't physically closer, but it looks to me like it would be much easier to get to for people in Mesa/Gilbert/Chandler since they wouldn't have to go through our around downtown?

I'm not from the area, so I don't know the intricacies of the region, but I do work in the mapping industry and at a glance, it looks like a significant improvement. Feel free to correct that though, since like I said, I'm not from there.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
That's a fair point I'm willing to concede, we've just haven't seen inroads by either the NHL or by Meruelo on this point so far.

Maybe that'll change in the future.
Maybe you should drop the AZ flag, or pay better attention, I don't know, but the asshats pander to this demographic in spades. Most don't have the funds to support at this time, thus they focus on the youth.

Saw this after my snark :laugh:

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I get that the site you have on there isn't physically closer, but it looks to me like it would be much easier to get to for people in Mesa/Gilbert/Chandler since they wouldn't have to go through our around downtown?

I'm not from the area, so I don't know the intricacies of the region, but I do work in the mapping industry and at a glance, it looks like a significant improvement. Feel free to correct that though, since like I said, I'm not from there.
You're spot on.

Who's going to fund this project? It's over a billion dollar...
That's where it gets interesting.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Trouble is, I don't think he can get as sweet a deal on the backend.

Yeah, that's going to be the thing.

There's a reason why nobody outside of Toronto or MSG completely self-funds their own arena. Pretty much every arena built in the last 30+ years involves some level of subsidy, either on the front end (government builds the arena) or the back end (team gets development rights afterwards).

So maybe this is a development rights deal - the Coyotes get land from the state which they intend to use the new arena to help draw a bunch of other development to the area which they can then profit from. It's certainly a model that has been used before.

The problem however - is that is exactly the model that was used at Westgate/Glendale.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Yeah, that's going to be the thing.

There's a reason why nobody outside of Toronto or MSG completely self-funds their own arena. Pretty much every arena built in the last 30+ years involves some level of subsidy, either on the front end (government builds the arena) or the back end (team gets development rights afterwards).

So maybe this is a development rights deal - the Coyotes get land from the state which they intend to use the new arena to help draw a bunch of other development to the area which they can then profit from. It's certainly a model that has been used before.

The problem however - is that is exactly the model that was used at Westgate/Glendale.

The problems with Westgate/Glendale stemmed from 1) mismanagement, 2) not owning the arena, and 3) having to deal with the Glendale council. If they can avoid those three things (and obviously #1 and #2 would be the thing here), then they shouldn't have the same issues as Westgate... just possible other issues.

Reactions: Summer Rose
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad