CXLVII - Is this the 'Final Countdown' in Arizona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
The only thing noteworthy was this:

“They’re playing right now in a college arena, 5,100 fans that go to those games, and they don’t sell out. I think that’s the first thing we have to do — figure out what is the long-term play on Arizona."

That was a surprise.

Doesn't the arena fit 4600? Everywhere I've seen shows theyve sold out every game there, Funny though last season their ECHL affiliate had a higher average attendance by a couple hundred fans.

Reactions: Slashers98

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Why should the PA be privy to any kind of negotiation info on a potential site? The potential site in Tempe was in discussions long before the RFP request. Also, the cities/municipalities/groups they are negotiating with, probably would like to keep those negotiations tight lipped as well.

This is just rich babies throwing a tantrum. I'd be concerned if the revenue was dropping to impact their portion, but I'm not sure if there is concrete info on how much they have gained or loss with the.kove to Mullett.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Why should the PA be privy to any kind of negotiation info on a potential site? The potential site in Tempe was in discussions long before the RFP request. Also, the cities/municipalities/groups they are negotiating with, probably would like to keep those negotiations tight lipped as well.

This is just rich babies throwing a tantrum. I'd be concerned if the revenue was dropping to impact their portion, but I'm not sure if there is concrete info on how much they have gained or loss with the.kove to Mullett.

The issue is that the Coyotes are the NHL version of welfare bums, they take and take and don't contribute anything meaningful. The NHLPA has had enough of this and want to see a path to the team making a meaningful impact on revenues.

And if you think the former mayor of Boston and US Secretary of Labor can be reduced to a "rich crybaby throwing a tantrum," well, I'd suggest you're out of your depth here. His words are going to be influential with the players AND with team owners. Frankly, the Coyotes situation has gone from embarrassment to embarrassment and any reasonable observer can see that, even if Coyotes fans want to bury their heads in the sand. The midseason deadline is a way to move on from this mess and Walsh is indicating that if he isn't happy that an arena in Phoenix is a done deal, or close to it, then he's going to be tightening the screws.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012

I mean the PA is looking out for the players and players probably want to know the status of their team i.e. are they going to get to a new arena, how long do they have to be at Mullet, will they move, and if so where. That's just doing their job.
Add to that if the team went somewhere where more revenue came in that's more money for them and once the situation is settled then it makes it easier to consider expansion.

Last edited:

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Guys this is not a random internet poster issue anymore. People want a plan and there hasn't been one in months.

It's suppressing revenue. The coyotes need to start making money.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
The issue is that the Coyotes are the NHL version of welfare bums, they take and take and don't contribute anything meaningful. The NHLPA has had enough of this and want to see a path to the team making a meaningful impact on revenues.

And if you think the former mayor of Boston and US Secretary of Labor can be reduced to a "rich crybaby throwing a tantrum," well, I'd suggest you're out of your depth here. His words are going to be influential with the players AND with team owners. Frankly, the Coyotes situation has gone from embarrassment to embarrassment and any reasonable observer can see that, even if Coyotes fans want to bury their heads in the sand. The midseason deadline is a way to move on from this mess and Walsh is indicating that if he isn't happy that an arena in Phoenix is a done deal, or close to it, then he's going to be tightening the screws.

I think a mayor, or secretary of labor would understand that you don't want agreements and plans for potential sites to be leaked to the public or groups prior to them being completed/set in stone. This wasn't even 6 months ago when the Tempe vote failed. It's not a light switch, with billions of dollars in the balance. The RFP for the Tempe site was 2 years in the making. It's going to take time to figure out the next opportunity that makes sense for AM.

If the players really weren't that happy, why don't they strike?

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I think a mayor, or secretary of labor would understand that you don't want agreements and plans for potential sites to be leaked to the public or groups prior to them being completed/set in stone. This wasn't even 6 months ago when the Tempe vote failed. It's not a light switch, with billions of dollars in the balance. The RFP for the Tempe site was 2 years in the making. It's going to take time to figure out the next opportunity that makes sense for AM.

If the players really weren't that happy, why don't they strike?

Who said anything about it being leaked? Walsh is asking for more details about the negotiations to see if there is anything substantial. Basically, he's not going to accept whatever PR fluff that the team might try to get away with. You're grasping at straws here.

I'm not sure what you're on about with your last statement. Are you saying that the players should blow up their CBA over the Coyotes? What would suggest to you that this is on the table?

Final Baton

Nov 13, 2010
Québec city
For an arena deal that's supposed to be struck in Q1 2024 at the latest : we sure aren't hearing much news about it... and we're in mid november now. If I was a Coyotes fan, I'd be nervous

(FTR I hope they do get an arena deal in Arizona. For the fans )

Last edited:

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Who said anything about it being leaked? Walsh is asking for more details about the negotiations to see if there is anything substantial. Basically, he's not going to accept whatever PR fluff that the team might try to get away with. You're grasping at straws here.

I'm not sure what you're on about with your last statement. Are you saying that the players should blow up their CBA over the Coyotes? What would suggest to you that this is on the table?

The less people that know about something, the less likely chance of something to be leaked. The PA does not need to know any future plans of a possible site until it's concrete and set in stone, it's that simple. I don't know why this is so hard to understand. They are still playing in Mullet for next year, and probably the 4th year per the lease. Suck it up and get over it at this point.

For an arena deal that's supposed to be struck in Q1 2024 at the latest : we sure aren't hearing much news about it... and we're in mid november now. If I was a Coyotes fan, I'd be nervous

(FTR I hope they do get an arena deal in Arizona. For the fans )

Again, why would they need to report the news to people?

"We are in talks with X people, it's looking to be about $Y dollars, but we need Z to be done before it happens". There's no point in the team putting that out there, especially if they are in multiple negotiations for places to build their entertainment district.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
The less people that know about something, the less likely chance of something to be leaked. The PA does not need to know any future plans of a possible site until it's concrete and set in stone, it's that simple. I don't know why this is so hard to understand. They are still playing in Mullet for next year, and probably the 4th year per the lease. Suck it up and get over it at this point.

Marty Walsh clearly disagrees. And it should be obvious to even you that the Coyotes playing in Arizona after this season is very very questionable.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007

"We are in talks with X people, it's looking to be about $Y dollars, but we need Z to be done before it happens". There's no point in the team putting that out there, especially if they are in multiple negotiations for places to build their entertainment district.
You don't actually believe this. Most people won't either given it will involve tax money.

Reactions: Llama19

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Orange Country Adjacent
Coyotes got absolutely lit up on Twitter for their edgy social media guy trying to pick a fight with another AZ team, again.

They deleted this tweet once Suns fans found it.

F-3QFlmaMAAFjev.jpeg

Final Baton

Nov 13, 2010
Québec city

Shouldn't they have bought the land by now?

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Well then we'll cross that bridge when we get there. But as for now, XG is working with his team to find a location to build a district with an arena to appease the PA and HFBoards business experts. :)
Fair enough. Let's see. It's just that now the NHLPA is talking, it's not an internet thing you know?

Last edited:

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Fair enough. Let's see. It's just that know the NHLPA is talking, it's not an internet thing you know?

I mean would you expect them not to? I'm surprised they haven't said something sooner to be honest. But doesn't mean the sky is falling, and we need info now from AM and company. It's been 6 months, it took 2 years for the RFP in Tempe to take foot. AM was planning on spending $1B+ of his own money on a district. If he's planning on doing the same thing again, it's going to take time for planning, logisitics, the agreement on the purchase of the land and all other aspects, etc. And their negotiations aren't going to be made until they are at the finish line. That's just the way it works.

We all saw what happened with the Coyotes announced the Arena with ASU, that was shot down so fast. Just doesn't make sense to announce something that just isn't there.

Well, from Walsh's perspective, moving the team would result in a team that is a net contributor to NHL revenues.

That's very possible. But AM is the owner, and it's his team to do with what he wants while he owns it for the most part. As long as he's still willing to eat the losses, and try and make something happen in AZ, the team isn't going to move just because.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
That's very possible. But AM is the owner, and it's his team to do with what he wants while he owns it for the most part. As long as he's still willing to eat the losses, and try and make something happen in AZ, the team isn't going to move just because.

Actually, that's exactly what the mid season deadline is about.

And Walsh's comments indicate how the NHLPA will approach it: that the stadium is not up to NHL standards.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Actually, that's exactly what the mid season deadline is about.

And Walsh's comments indicate how the NHLPA will approach it: that the stadium is not up to NHL standards.

Oh, so there's a mid season deadline?! What are we bickering about then?

“We know that within the next call it 60 days, there's going to be some public announcement. We've committed to the NHL that we will resolve this issue by the end of the first quarter, probably by mid season.”

We are 14 games in. Give me a break.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Oh, so there's a mid season deadline?! What are we bickering about then?

We are 14 games in. Give me a break.

Yes, and from what Walsh is saying, there needs to be advanced negotiations, not just a "we'd like to have an arena here" kind of announcement.

The deadline always seemed like a bit of a gimmick given that is not really enough time to get a project to an advanced stage, and after the Tempe referendum loss no city council is going to be sticking their necks out for the Coyotes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad