CXLVII - Is this the 'Final Countdown' in Arizona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, they're primarily Man City's team, as Kev said. The Yankees have a small stake. It's like calling the Vegas Golden Knights "Maloof-owned." Perhaps those who follow MLS have a better handle on these things than those who don't even follow?
I mean they play in Yankee Stadium and the whole efforts to get a team in NYC including the Wilpons initial interest before the Madoff thing, the talks with other European clubs, the efforts to get the revived Cosmos to move into the MLS, etc. All played out pretty publicly. Its not like people are like "oh wait the Yankees are invested in the team?"

ponder719

M-M-M-Matvei and the Jett
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I mean they play in Yankee Stadium and the whole efforts to get a team in NYC including the Wilpons initial interest before the Madoff thing, the talks with other European clubs, the efforts to get the revived Cosmos to move into the MLS, etc. All played out pretty publicly. Its not like people are like "oh wait the Yankees are invested in the team?"
Nobody's arguing the Yankees don't have a stake in the franchise, but when someone asks "who owns the Sixers," people say "Josh Harris," or "Josh Harris and David Blitzer", not "Joe Gibbs", even though Gibbs is a limited partner in the company that legally owns the team. The question "who owns the team" generally is asking who the majority owner is, and that's Man City. That's why NYCFC wears Man City's colors.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
What Ponder said. There's NO brand synergy between the Yankees and NYCFC. There's definite Brand Synergy between NYCFC and Manchester City FC.

(There's actually ridiculous synergy between Manchester City and all the City Football Group clubs. City Football Group scouts the world for players from different regional hubs, with NYCFC being their North American base. They use the 11 men's clubs they own in different countries and continents as a global feeder system).

So to the original "I have no idea why a Yankees-owned team is going next to the Mets" answer is that it's a non-factor.

City Football Group wanted an MLS team in New York, with City colors and name style. They originally were going to partner with the Mets owners (who were also bidding on an MLS team) and had targeted Willets' Point for a stadium location.

One of the big stories when the Mets new stadium was built was how huge the playing field was. They've moved the fences in four times since. They built it big to play MLS games while building a soccer stadium in the parking lot if they won the MLS expansion bid.

If people are aware that the Yankees are minority owners with NYCFC, then they're probably aware that NYCFC was trying to partner with the Mets owners first. And people are also aware that Manchester City runs the show, not the Yankees.... or they're just ignorant about all of that and don't realize there's any association with anyone.

Reaser

May 19, 2021
How can you so definitively speak for all soccer fans? I don't even follow MLS and I knew that the Yankees were invested in NYCFC. It was well established since they began playing.

I've followed MLS since even before the first match in '96 and yup, everyone knows the Yankees are part of NYCFC.

When the team was announced, major non-sports outlets even listed the Yankees first, as in: "Yankees and Man City get MLS team" and others still listed combined, e.g. "the Man City-Yankees MLS team."

Not a strong measurable, but for those that like uniforms/jerseys/logos/etc. There's a reason that a majority of mock-ups from the people in that world seemingly always put NYCFC in pinstripes.

Too far to act like they're equal investors, most certainly not. But also a bit disingenuous to act like the Yankees % is similar to when an athlete becomes a 1% owner of a team in another sport.

TheLegend

They call me “Buzz”.
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Not expecting much here.

The NHL Board of Directors is crazy if they allow Meruelo to do a rerun here.

The Tempe project probably would have passed the referendum if it was anyone other than him backing it.

He's absolutely toxic.

Well there you go..... other than you just demonstrated how much less you know about the local politics than Meruelo did.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004

Doesn't pay taxes / rent, long history of slimy business tactics, etc etc.

Well there you go..... other than you just demonstrated how much less you know about the local politics than Meruelo did.

The entire Coyotes fanbase seems to know nothing about local politics based on the reactions to the failed vote.

On the other hand, I predicted that giving handouts to billionaires would not be popular with locals from far away. Some things transcend boundaries!

TheLegend

They call me “Buzz”.
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Doesn't pay taxes / rent, long history of slimy business tactics, etc etc.
What long history?? Care to list them all??
The entire Coyotes fanbase seems to know nothing about local politics based on the reactions to the failed vote.

On the other hand, I predicted that giving handouts to billionaires would not be popular with locals from far away. Some things transcend boundaries!

Well you continue to show your ignorance with these drive by pearls of wisdom.

Mother Teresa would have been toxic to you if she had been the owner.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
What long history?? Care to list them all??

Nope. Refer to some of The Athletic bombshell articles if you'd like to read more.

Well you continue to show your ignorance with these drive by pearls of wisdom.

Mother Teresa would have been toxic to you if she had been the owner.

How many times can you be wrong about ownership group after ownership group before you finally acknowledge you have no clue?

TheLegend

They call me “Buzz”.
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Nope. Refer to some of The Athletic bombshell articles if you'd like to read more.

So in other words… that “long history” goes back to just 2019 and you really have nothing to add.

How many times can you be wrong about ownership group after ownership group before you finally acknowledge you have no clue?

Please explain how I’m “wrong”?

I’ve been critical of every group at one point or another. Just because I defend them on certain occasions doesn’t mean I’m blinded to the mistakes.

I give credit when and where it’s due. I’d even give you credit if you managed to come up with something meaningful.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
So nearly a month and a half they have shortlisted about a dozen patches of dirt to half a dozen?

All of these which will avoid a public vote. This is very true. Can't have a public vote on nothing which is all was today's fluff piece all about other than getting people off their case until the new year.

Solid plan B Mr. Meruelo:thumbu:

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
What Ponder said. There's NO brand synergy between the Yankees and NYCFC. There's definite Brand Synergy between NYCFC and Manchester City FC.

(There's actually ridiculous synergy between Manchester City and all the City Football Group clubs. City Football Group scouts the world for players from different regional hubs, with NYCFC being their North American base. They use the 11 men's clubs they own in different countries and continents as a global feeder system).

So to the original "I have no idea why a Yankees-owned team is going next to the Mets" answer is that it's a non-factor.

City Football Group wanted an MLS team in New York, with City colors and name style. They originally were going to partner with the Mets owners (who were also bidding on an MLS team) and had targeted Willets' Point for a stadium location.

One of the big stories when the Mets new stadium was built was how huge the playing field was. They've moved the fences in four times since. They built it big to play MLS games while building a soccer stadium in the parking lot if they won the MLS expansion bid.

If people are aware that the Yankees are minority owners with NYCFC, then they're probably aware that NYCFC was trying to partner with the Mets owners first. And people are also aware that Manchester City runs the show, not the Yankees.... or they're just ignorant about all of that and don't realize there's any association with anyone.

When NYCFC was founded Man City had just started its run (won their first Premier League title 2 years before) weren't the dominant force they are today. Plus there is the whole playing in Yankee Stadium thing. I had always seen it referred to as a joint venture between the Yankees and City. Either way your original comment that soccer fans don't associate NYCFC with Yankees isn't true unless you're talking about people who only follow soccer and don't know anything about baseball.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
So in other words… that “long history” goes back to just 2019 and you really have nothing to add.

The Athletic articles documented a history of this behaviour preceding his purchase of the team.

Please explain how I’m “wrong”?

I’ve been critical of every group at one point or another. Just because I defend them on certain occasions doesn’t mean I’m blinded to the mistakes.

I give credit when and where it’s due. I’d even give you credit if you managed to come up with something meaningful.

Yes, you're critical of them after they're gone, as I'm sure you will be of Meruelo when it's announced the team is relocating.

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
Regarding the whole Yankees/Mets/NYCFC thing, the big factor that everyone is missing in this conversation is that NYCFC had plans for a new stadium just south of Yankee Stadium, using a site currently occupied by an old parking garage and an elevator parts factory. In fact, it was their original idea, but for a long time it seemed like it couldn't happen because the team was unable to come to an agreement with the elevator parts company's owners about relocating the factory, so they explored other options around the five boroughs, only to eventually circle back to the original Bronx site when it seemed like a deal could be reached.

The city especially wanted to get that done because it would get that parking garage off their books. The city authority in charge of it is in the red because the building of the new Yankee Stadium included a couple of new garages closer to the new ballpark, plus the Metro-North railroad station built as part of it all means fewer people are driving to the stadium in the first place. And the capacity isn't as large as the old one. Essentially, there's now there's a relative glut of parking. The one old, further away garage was seen as expendable to everyone.

Except the Yankees. Who basically threatened to sue if the garage was totally removed as their deal with the city requires X number of parking spots within a certain radius, and the loss of the garage would drop the number below that threshold by like 800 spots. Despite the fact that even a sellout doesn't need those spots.

In other words, the Yankees torpedoed the deal that would have given the team that they partly own their own stadium. Around this time NYCFC also started having to deal with "scheduling conflicts" at Yankee Stadium that they didn't have before, resulting in them playing some home games at... CitiField.

It became completely apparent that the Yankees are not being good partners, so the NYCFC brass saw no issues with going to Willets Point.

Also, NYCFC was never about having a team necessarily in Queens or Brooklyn, just somewhere in the five boroughs (or really close) instead of in Jersey. As convenient as Red Bull Arena is to mass transit, just being on the other side of the river is a (frankly stupid) mental hurdle to some. Heck, remember that NYCFC was one of the groups that put in for what is now the site of USB Arena.

Lions67

Mar 6, 2018
Winnipeg
Regarding the whole Yankees/Mets/NYCFC thing, the big factor that everyone is missing in this conversation is that NYCFC had plans for a new stadium just south of Yankee Stadium, using a site currently occupied by an old parking garage and an elevator parts factory. In fact, it was their original idea, but for a long time it seemed like it couldn't happen because the team was unable to come to an agreement with the elevator parts company's owners about relocating the factory, so they explored other options around the five boroughs, only to eventually circle back to the original Bronx site when it seemed like a deal could be reached.

The city especially wanted to get that done because it would get that parking garage off their books. The city authority in charge of it is in the red because the building of the new Yankee Stadium included a couple of new garages closer to the new ballpark, plus the Metro-North railroad station built as part of it all means fewer people are driving to the stadium in the first place. And the capacity isn't as large as the old one. Essentially, there's now there's a relative glut of parking. The one old, further away garage was seen as expendable to everyone.

Except the Yankees. Who basically threatened to sue if the garage was totally removed as their deal with the city requires X number of parking spots within a certain radius, and the loss of the garage would drop the number below that threshold by like 800 spots. Despite the fact that even a sellout doesn't need those spots.

In other words, the Yankees torpedoed the deal that would have given the team that they partly own their own stadium. Around this time NYCFC also started having to deal with "scheduling conflicts" at Yankee Stadium that they didn't have before, resulting in them playing some home games at... CitiField.

It became completely apparent that the Yankees are not being good partners, so the NYCFC brass saw no issues with going to Willets Point.

Also, NYCFC was never about having a team necessarily in Queens or Brooklyn, just somewhere in the five boroughs (or really close) instead of in Jersey. As convenient as Red Bull Arena is to mass transit, just being on the other side of the river is a (frankly stupid) mental hurdle to some. Heck, remember that NYCFC was one of the groups that put in for what is now the site of USB Arena.
Quit hijacking this thread please.
New York’s soccer team is not relevant here.
There is a sub forum for soccer on these boards.
Go use that.
Thanks

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Arizona Coyotes CEO: Several options in play for new Valley arena

To quote:

"Speaking just ahead of the National Hockey League Draft in Nashville, Tennessee, Xavier Gutierrez told reporters that after voters in Tempe voted down a deal that would have allowed the pro hockey team to build an arena on a landfill site, the Coyotes started talking with multiple separate entities about where else they could build.

“We're putting several options into play,” Gutierrez said. “We have over a dozen sites that we have had conversations with. We have half a dozen of those that we think are going to go to that next step.”

“We re-engaged with multiple sites that we had talked to beforehand, and we feel quite confident that one of these many sites that we put into play will come to fruition in the timeline,” Gutierrez said.

The Coyotes were extremely confident that voters in Tempe would approve their proposed entertainment district, but after the major electoral loss, the team has told the NHL that it will seek to avoid a public vote at all costs.

“One of the things we want to avoid is a public referendum and everything that we're looking at is, hopefully, to have this be something that would avoid that,” Gutierrez said.

While not giving out specific addresses or parcels, Gutierrez said the team is focusing on the eastern half of the Valley, and particularly along the 101 Corridor in either Tempe, Mesa, Scottsdale, Phoenix or Gilbert.

“There is privately owned, but there's also publicly owned land that is also in to play and there's also tribal land as well that we're having conversations, which would be long-term land leases,” Gutierrez said."

Source: www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2023/06/29/coyotes-ceo-several-options-new-arena.html

Reactions: TheLegend

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
Arizona Coyotes CEO: Several options in play for new Valley arena

To quote:

"Speaking just ahead of the National Hockey League Draft in Nashville, Tennessee, Xavier Gutierrez told reporters that after voters in Tempe voted down a deal that would have allowed the pro hockey team to build an arena on a landfill site, the Coyotes started talking with multiple separate entities about where else they could build.

“We're putting several options into play,” Gutierrez said. “We have over a dozen sites that we have had conversations with. We have half a dozen of those that we think are going to go to that next step.”

“We re-engaged with multiple sites that we had talked to beforehand, and we feel quite confident that one of these many sites that we put into play will come to fruition in the timeline,” Gutierrez said.

The Coyotes were extremely confident that voters in Tempe would approve their proposed entertainment district, but after the major electoral loss, the team has told the NHL that it will seek to avoid a public vote at all costs.

“One of the things we want to avoid is a public referendum and everything that we're looking at is, hopefully, to have this be something that would avoid that,” Gutierrez said.

While not giving out specific addresses or parcels, Gutierrez said the team is focusing on the eastern half of the Valley, and particularly along the 101 Corridor in either Tempe, Mesa, Scottsdale, Phoenix or Gilbert.

“There is privately owned, but there's also publicly owned land that is also in to play and there's also tribal land as well that we're having conversations, which would be long-term land leases,” Gutierrez said."

Source: www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2023/06/29/coyotes-ceo-several-options-new-arena.html
will this group pay out of pocket for that land?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad