CXLVI - Future of Coyotes up in air after Tempe rejects arena deal - will remain at Mullet Arena for 2023-24, looking at Fiesta Mall site in Mesa

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
KC at second highest odds, really? Toronto2 at 3rd highest?? This definitely feels like a case where random forumgoers know a lot more than the bookies. I may be a QC stan but there's no way QC with all the publicity has less than half the odds of a second team in Toronto.

The field would by far be the best bet. I feel like the field has better odds than Houston's 40%. But really the highest odds should be "stay in Arizona"...
KC and QC don’t have nba to deal with. All of Hou, Atl, mil, elc, etc you are dependent on the nba owner wanting to pay the asking price for it since they control their respective Arena revenue.

Nhl via expansion and other relocations haven’t had too much issues with their nba counterparts. Due to Atl and Col having the same owner. And Mia and Dal neither club had the arena management agreement from what I understand in those old arenas. Thus the mavs and stars were not losing anything by working together on the new arena while in Miami they went their separate ways on the new arena.

But for moving the coyotes, pretty much exhausted the non nba markets. Now have to mostly contend with nba owner wanting a team or not. Because they control the arena revenues .

Reactions: KevFu

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Yeah. That site was a terrible site and everyone around here knew it. And that wasn't a junkyard either - it was the old Longacres horse race track site.
Really! Didn't know that. I thought it was junk because it was beside the port. But what an NHL thing to do, not look at the details before jumping in.

KC and QC don’t have nba to deal with. All of Hou, Atl, mil, elc, etc you are dependent on the nba owner wanting to pay the asking price for it since they control their respective Arena revenue.
I really think KC is going to go for both the NHL and NBA in the next 5 years. I just feel it. It's too small, but so is Denver technically.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
KC at second highest odds, really? Toronto2 at 3rd highest?? This definitely feels like a case where random forumgoers know a lot more than the bookies. I may be a QC stan but there's no way QC with all the publicity has less than half the odds of a second team in Toronto.

The field would by far be the best bet. I feel like the field has better odds than Houston's 40%. But really the highest odds should be "stay in Arizona"...

Houston at 40 per cent is crazy, but these are just publicity stunt odds.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Really! Didn't know that. I thought it was junk because it was beside the port. But what an NHL thing to do, not look at the details before jumping in.

I really think KC is going to go for both the NHL and NBA in the next 5 years. I just feel it. It's too small, but so is Denver technically.
NBA is eying Seattle and LV. Maybe if they are targeting a relocation of say New Orleans or something.

NBA expansion fee based off a mid market team like Milwaukee which got valued at $3.5 billion is going to be around that amount.

If you don’t have a seat at the table when the arena management fee is done you are basically at the mercy of the nba team who has it.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Google map of Fiesta Mall in Mesa...
(purple area in lower right, upper left STAR is approximate location of TED site)...

Note: Distance between locations is approximately eight (8) miles.

View attachment 709882
Fiesta Mall is actually further away from Downtown Phoenix than Gila River Arena is. If this site actually is an option, yet again, half the Valley will be bitching about the commute to games.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
It’s an attractive market, but one that can’t handle losing indefinitely. Bettman can’t force them to put a competitive team in the ice.

All things equal, I’d rather own a team in Phoenix than Salt Lake City, but it doesn’t appear things will ever be equal.
The corporate money is not there compared to Houston or Atlanta. I have nothing against Phoenix but it comes third to those two, Canada/US debate aside. I think Houston is a better bet given what we know.
Is quite amazing that NHL(Bettman) is so obsessed to keep Coyotes in Arizona. Bad business is a bad business.
Too many Canadian teams is not good for US advertisers.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Why did they ever move out of Phoenix in the first place - was it because of the Suns arena? (Was listening to TSNs Overdrive yesterday when Jaime McClennan mentioned this)

I don’t know how you can put an arena outside of a major metropolis. I’m surprised Anaheim ‘gets away’ with it TBH

In the end, I feel for the Arizona fans. It sucks watching everyone on the outside dumping on them
It's plainly obvious you've never been to Anaheim or So Cal for that matter.

Reactions: oknazevad

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
NBA is eying Seattle and LV. Maybe if they are targeting a relocation of say New Orleans or something.

NBA expansion fee based off a mid market team like Milwaukee which got valued at $3.5 billion is going to be around that amount.

If you don’t have a seat at the table when the arena management fee is done you are basically at the mercy of the nba team who has it.
Seattle and LV, and then Probably KC and an Eastern City for expansion.

Interesting to me that Las Vegas is the same size metro-wise as KC and they're about to have 4 teams by 2030.

Sell to Ibishia. If keeping the Coyotes in town matters more than Merullo's ego of course...

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

It's well beyond eying.

It's an open secret at this point. We even know that Lebron is going to be included in the potential LV ownership group.

BTW, I think we can safely say that the mythical plan B was a dud, considering the number of places the Coyotes are reaching out to.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Seattle and LV, and then Probably KC and an Eastern City for expansion.

Interesting to me that Las Vegas is the same size metro-wise as KC and they're about to have 4 teams by 2030.

Sell to Ibishia. If keeping the Coyotes in town matters more than Merullo's ego of course...

Just to ask a question about KC. I saw a couple of tweets from Kansas City on Tuesday night, but I'm not sure either of them was really an invitation. Why are we all of a sudden sure that AEG is going to forfeit their arena management contract?

TheLegend

They call me “Buzz”.
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Lol pretty sure you made the same post when the Tempe proposal first came out.. 21 months ago.

With the arena building yes. Not knowing what else is needed, that's all there is to measure from.

Also mentioned land remediation of TED was to take 6-8 months depending on much had to be removed.

You can to time math right??

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

There's nothing I love more than silly sports gambling odds, so I will continue to post them.

At least this bookie has the timeframe right, lol.

I do find it odd that they don't have Arizona as an option here, but how would you even set odds on that I guess. And if they stay, you just collect all the money on all these silly bets.

TheLegend

They call me “Buzz”.
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
What makes you think San Diego is a viable destination? Their arena is small for hockey (12,900 seats) and it's not a hockey market.

The Anaheim Ducks AHL team plays there. There were several renditions of the San Diego Gulls before that.

I lived there from 1994-2001... attended a lot of Gulls games. There's a potential market there to be developed.

San Diego is in the middle of redeveloping the entre Midway District including a remodeling/reconstruction of the arena.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Orange Country Adjacent
So much for that Nimby narrative . Courtesy of @sfalmy. Really impressive work from Tempe 1st.

FwbyfIwaQAAIVxO.png

TheLegend

They call me “Buzz”.
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
That's really bad. An admission that they are starting over.

As I was explaining over in F40.... they need to keep fans following the franchise engaged. Given all he uncertainly.

HF posters have no issue ripping this kind of stuff apart. But no..... they are NOT looking to social media to decide on where to go.

Reactions: The Lighthouse

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Why?
Is the arena outside?
Not trying to be an ass, I have no idea what the arena looks like. I just now that 13,000 is more than 5,000 loo

13,000 isn’t enough for an NHL team as a permanent home. It might be more than 5,000 but at least that’s a temporary situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad