CXLVI - Future of Coyotes up in air after Tempe rejects arena deal - will remain at Mullet Arena for 2023-24, looking at Fiesta Mall site in Mesa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Quebecor has been really quiet through all this. You could say almost "True North" quiet. They could host the team this fall without an issue. I think expansion is being lined up for SLC and Atlanta, leaving another western city. 9 teams per division......the final goal being 10.

No way they could get it done by this fall now.

Maybe if they got notice the night the vote failed they'd have a shot, but I'd bet a lot of money the yotes are spending next year in mullet.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Bettman telling MacLean we are running out of time in Arizona is a significant development.

Meruelo needs to find a land deal that needs no voter approval and that will be difficult.

Best option is on native-American land but.......is there a viable option in the East Valley? :dunno:

Explore a working arrangement with the NBA Suns? Coyotes have no leverage.

I suspect it will come down to Houston and Salt Lake and the NBA Jazz owner WANTS a team.
Bettman isn't talking to the ownership through the media, he's talking to politicians through the media. He's telling them to help figure this out or they will be gone. He doesn't have to do that to the owner through the media.

And I will eat my hat if salt lake gets relocation, same with Atlanta. Those are both expansion markets and the league knows it's getting mucho money out of them. They aren't blowing that by giving them relocation unless they somehow force a 1b fee into it as well.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Bettman isn't talking to the ownership through the media, he's talking to politicians through the media. He's telling them to help figure this out or they will be gone. He doesn't have to do that to the owner through the media.

And I will eat my hat if salt lake gets relocation, same with Atlanta. Those are both expansion markets and the league knows it's getting mucho money out of them. They aren't blowing that by giving them relocation unless they somehow force a 1b fee into it as well.
Atlanta definitely gets expansion, it's a massive market with a corporate presence.

Salt Lake though? I don't think it's on the same planet as Atlanta and would be viewed as a relocation option.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Atlanta definitely gets expansion, it's a massive market with a corporate presence.

Salt Lake though? I don't think it's on the same planet as Atlanta and would be viewed as a relocation option.
The jazz owner has basically said he is willing to pay for a team. He's loaded. The league knows it. They are going to get near 1b from each of Atlanta and SLC. You don't piss that away by giving one of those groups a relocation that has historically been cheaper than expansion. IF the coyotes move it will be in a paper inflated transaction into a market the league wants but that an owner won't pay for like Houston. Atlanta and SLC are sitting there right now waving cash around

Reactions: GreenHornet

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
They could expand, expansion, new cities is fun, but there arena just enough talet for that.

Salt Lake, Atlanta. Houston, Kansas, maybe even Quebek. Sakrament? Www, thats a dark horse

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario

While I agree the message is to politicians, I don't think it's going to change anything. From the sounds of things the politicians don't care about the Coyotes. If they really did Tempe would be in the process of building a new arena now.

Reactions: Stumbledore
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad