Player Discussion Cutter Gauthier

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
If the decision was strictly based on hockey (signing an ELC, where he will play, how he will be developed, etc), then I'd expect him and his agent to decide the correct course of action. Unless your family name is Lindros they really don't need to be involved with those kind of decisions.
They don't need to be, sure. I guess I just don't see how even it it was just hockey related how it would mean he wouldn't or shouldn't include his family in a life decision. He's Young, maybe he doesn't trust his agent fully. Maybe he trusts his family and knows they will have his best interests at heart. I also wouldn't be surprised if there was concern his decision might affect his family. Unhappy fans lashing out at anyone associated with him. After what we saw I think that would be a legitimate concern.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
This IS the city that threw snowballs at Santa Claus.

And, lest we forget: hitchBOT - Wikipedia.

An excerpt for those who won't click:

For three weeks in June 2015, it hitched around the Netherlands. HitchBOT then attempted to cross the United States from Boston to San Francisco starting on July 17, 2015. After two weeks, on August 1, 2015, a photo was tweeted, showing that the robot had been stripped "beyond repair" and decapitated in Philadelphia.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
We should be expecting him to be the best player on the ice during development camp and rookie games everyday right?
Yah pretty much. I mean the only reason he is there is because he is a rookie. Dude should be a lock to make the team

Rooch

Jul 22, 2021
"We messed up and he did not want to sign with us. Let's use abusive relationship practices to encourage other prospects signing with us in the future."

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012

Flyer fans never disappoint in the replies.

I read one that said the “NHL or NHLPA needed to step in and take action” and that because they didn’t, he deserves what he has coming. Incredible. Other than incessant whining from clueless fans, I’m not sure what else there is to come.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

I read one that said the “NHL or NHLPA needed to step in and take action” and that because they didn’t, he deserves what he has coming. Incredible. Other than incessant whining from clueless fans, I’m not sure what else there is to come.
Take action to what? Make him want to play for the flyers after all?

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Would think their shiny new toy would make them get over the Gauthier trade. But nope. Hope this really motivates Cutter to really reach his true potential.

I've said it before if a fan base is so upset at a player for not wanting to play for them, he must have a lot of promise and potential. Just sayin...

Saw this with Adam Fox and Calgary.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Would think their shiny new toy would make them get over the Gauthier trade. But nope. Hope this really motivates Cutter to really reach his true potential.

I've said it before if a fan base is so upset at a player for not wanting to play for them, he must have a lot of promise and potential. Just sayin...

Saw this with Adam Fox and Calgary.
If we're in the mood for self-reflection, we also saw this with us and Judas...ahem, I mean Justin Schultz.

I don't know how far that went beyond booing him lustily any time he played in Anaheim (in which I happily engaged without compunction), but we know the feeling.

This Cutter stuff from Philly fans seems more unhinged, but that could just be a homer perspective.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If we're in the mood for self-reflection, we also saw this with us and Judas...ahem, I mean Justin Schultz.

I don't know how far that went beyond booing him lustily any time he played in Anaheim (in which I happily engaged without compunction), but we know the feeling.

This Cutter stuff from Philly fans seems more unhinged, but that could just be a homer perspective.

Booing is one thing. They are taking it to the next level some of them….and it’s not just a few here and there, which is scary.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
At least they got something for Cutter. We got nothing for Schultz. We don’t boo Thrun because at least he gave some slight courtesy so we could get something in return for his rights.

Plus the fact we were loaded with LD's before Thrun decided to jump ship.

LD's signed: Fowler, Vaak, Zell, Minty, Hinds

Unsigned LD's: Thrun, LaCombe

Many on here already had envisioned both Thrun and LaCombe to be trade capital anyhow with Minty and Zell far ahead of both.

Firequacker

used wall of text! It's not very effective...
Jun 3, 2022

Schultz said he was going to sign with the Ducks right up until he bolted, and the team got nothing for him. Gauthier made it clear to the Flyers he was no longer willing to sign there (and kept it out of the media, which would've torpedoed their trade leverage), and they got Drysdale and a second for him. They're not really the same thing.

If Gauthier had actually strung the Flyers organization along, rather than just refusing to be bullied out of his decision, they'd have more of a point. Though some of them are taking it to a level that would be too far even then.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee

Totally different situation.
Cutter never lied, they just didnt like the answer he gave them. This allowed them to get a good return for him.
Schultz lied until the summer after his senior year.

Ducks fans booed him, we didnt become borderline stalkers.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I agree with others in that what Cutter did wasn’t the same as what JS did.

That said, if I was a Philly fan, I’d still be pissed, and don’t blame them at all for not liking him.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Totally different situation.
Cutter never lied, they just didnt like the answer he gave them. This allowed them to get a good return for him.
Schultz lied until the summer after his senior year.

Ducks fans booed him, we didnt become borderline stalkers.
Which is ironically what the Flyers front office became when they didn't accept Cutter's answer, like chasing him across the globe to try and get him to talk to them. And then whined about it to the media like rejected lovers, which is what made the situation 10x worse for everyone involved.

Philly sports fans are going to be how they are, but without the added narrative that Briere made public (which he didn't need to do), it probably doesn't go quite this bad.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Part of the Flyer hatred should be aimed at the organization. Not so much that they caused Gauthier to make the decision not to play for them, although they may be culpable, but because they had no patience.

Although they probably thought they were trading at a high point, they had all the leverage. Cutter was going nowhere in early 2024.

I am thankful that they didn’t wait until the draft or even the off-season. I think Gauthier would have brought more than what we offered.

John

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
At least they got something for Cutter. We got nothing for Schultz. We don’t boo Thrun because at least he gave some slight courtesy so we could get something in return for his rights.
This. Schultz led the team on right up until the loophole was available to him. From the sound of it, Gauthier made it very clear he wanted to be moved and wouldn't play for Philly. As to why, we still don't have confirmation, but it doesn't matter. He still gave Philly the opportunity to get something for using their draft pick on him and investing resources towards his development.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Part of the Flyer hatred should be aimed at the organization. Not so much that they caused Gauthier to make the decision not to play for them, although they may be culpable, but because they had no patience.

Although they probably thought they were trading at a high point, they had all the leverage. Cutter was going nowhere in early 2024.

I am thankful that they didn’t wait until the draft or even the off-season. I think Gauthier would have brought more than what we offered.

John
I haven't been to the Flyer board since the season ended but there were a few of their fans who did blame their management (mainly for driving him away I believe) for the fiasco.

I'd like to see Drysdale get his career back on track just for his own sake. But it certainly could help the whole situation die down if he became the player we thought he would be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad