2024-25 Utica Comets and ECHL thread

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
The reassignments are underway.
  • Igor Mburanumwe and Landon Sim have been released from their amateur tryouts.
  • Andre Ghantous, Kevin O’Neil, Jace Isley, and Tag Bertuzzi are re-assigned to the Utica Comets (AHL) training camp.
  • Dylan Wendt and Tyler Brennan have been loaned to Utica”
  • Michael Hutchinson released from his PTO
Mburanumwe seemed to have some good highlights from the prospects camp. Too bad he didn’t stick. Would have thought he’d at least be good enough for Adirondack.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Mburanumwe seemed to have some good highlights from the prospects camp. Too bad he didn’t stick. Would have thought he’d at least be good enough for Adirondack.
Don't know where they got the idea for him. Maybe a favor to him or someone. He's released and that's probably the last we see of him. The Thunder were good last year and return their nucleus. They'll be forced to take what Jersey/Utica sends them. Don't think they had room for him.

Reactions: tailfins

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006

He was committed to McGill University and that seems to be his career path; taking advantage of his CHL package and basically getting his education for free. Beats traveling on busses in the ECHL for minimal pay.

Reactions: tailfins

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
He was committed to McGill University and that seems to be his career path; taking advantage of his CHL package and basically getting his education for free. Beats traveling on busses in the ECHL for minimal pay.

I was aware of the McGill U committment, but didn't know how he managed to get an invite to the rookie camp and then onto the Devils main camp roster. He wasn't drafted and ran out of Jr eligibility so chose University, as you say, over ECHL bus travel.

With Fitz's new fetish for size, Igor's 6'5" frame on a 20 -yr old with plenty of time to tack on some weight might have been the Devils' incentive to take a look.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
NJ Comets 4 Vs Philadelphia Flyers 5
I think this was the lineup. At least these were the guys on the game roster.
Stillman is the only guy playing his off wing. He and Halonen would be a logical swap.
This was their 3rd game in 4 nights.

Stillman - Dowling - Labanc
Graham - Schmelzer - Halonen
Hardman - Engaras - Squires
Laberge - Malone - Legare

Zboril - Misyul
MacKinnon - Diotte
Van de Leest - Welinski

Poulter
Brodeur

Scoring:
Schmelzer (1) from Diotte (1) and Malone (1)
Lebanc (4) from Misyul (2) and Dowling (2)
Lebanc (5) from Dowling (3) and Hardman (1) PP
Lebanc (6) from Squires (1) and Welinski (2)

Poulter SA/29 GA/5 SV/24

PS
Willman, Beckman, and Melovsky did not dress, but skated this morning.

Last edited:

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
NJ Comets 4 Vs Philadelphia Flyers 5
I think this was the lineup. At least these were the guys on the game roster.
Stillman is the only guy playing his off wing. He and Halonen would be a logical swap.
This was their 3rd game in 4 nights.

Stillman - Dowling - Labanc
Graham - Schmelzer - Halonen
Hardman - Engaras - Squires
Laberge - Malone - Legare

Zboril - Misyul
MacKinnon - Diotte
Van de Leest - Welinski

Poulter
Brodeur

Scoring:
Schmelzer (1) from Diotte (1) and Malone (1)
Lebanc (4) from Misyul (2) and Dowling (2)
Lebanc (5) from Dowling (3) and Hardman (1) PP
Lebanc (6) from Squires (1) and Welinski (2)

Poulter SA/29 GA/5 SV/24

PS
Willman, Beckman, and Melovsky did not dress, but skated this morning.

Was basically Comets versus Phantoms with a couple of NHL veterans for the Flyers and some 4-A players skating for NJ.

Goals for Labanc were nice but holes in his game (as well as in Zboril's) were also apparent.

Welinski might be a nice veteran presence for the Comets.

One thing noticeably missing was the "hard to play against" element that Fitz promised.

With the exception of the staged fights, the Devils were frequently pushed around and defeated in retrieval battles.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Was basically Comets versus Phantoms with a couple of NHL veterans for the Flyers and some 4-A players skating for NJ.

Goals for Labanc were nice but holes in his game (as well as in Zboril's) were also apparent.

Welinski might be a nice veteran presence for the Comets.

One thing noticeably missing was the "hard to play against" element that Fitz promised.

With the exception of the staged fights, the Devils were frequently pushed around and defeated in retrieval battles.

That was not the 12 forwards who will make up the Comets starting 12. I also think 3 games in 4 nights had taken its toll as well.

Also if that's the Comets top 6 on D, the Comets will be in big trouble.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Devils make first big cut.

Already reassigned to Utica were:
Andre Ghantous
Kevin O'Neil
Jace Isley
Tag Bertuzzi

Added to the list:

Jeremy Brodeur
Isaac Poulter

Justin Dowling
Filip Engaras
Joe Gambardella
Brian Halonen
Mike Hardman
Sam Laberge
Nathan Legare
Jack Malone
Xavier Parent
Ryan Schmelzer
Chase Stillman
Max Willman

Daniil Misyul
Will MacKinnon
Mikael Diotte
Jackson van de Leest

My thoughts on still to come:
Topias Vilen (injured)
Josh Filmon (injured)
Adam Beckman (injured)
Injured can't be sent down until game ready.

1 of Santeri Hatakka or Nick DeSimone
Shane Bowers
Colton White

Maybes:

The followig are on NJ PTOS.
It will be up to NJ to either sign or release them. If signed it will be up to NJ to decide whether to waive and send to Utica or keep. Zboril would be sent to Utica.
Kevin Lebanc - I believe he's the only one NJ might keep.
Jakub Zboril - I think they just might sign and send this guy to Utica due to how thin the Comets are on D.
Andy Welinski - I think he gets released.

The Devils currently have 14 forwards on their roster and Foote is not 1 of them.
They currently have 10 D-men. Zboril and Welinski will not remain there.
Hatakka is on Utica's list, but he is injured, as is Luke Hughes and Brett Pesce. So in reality at the moment the Devils have 7 healthy D-men counting Casey.

The Comets currently only have 4 health D-men in town and one of them is van de Leest and we saw enough of him last season to know he is no better than depth. White should be returned before opening day and hopefully Vilen is ready. That would still make only 6 and there are no more until something happens in NJ to free up one of Hatakka or DeSimone.

Look for Adirondack stand ins to be on the roster to start the season. What a shit show when before things got going the D was to be the Comets strong point. It looked like Colton White might actually be the team's 6/7.

The problem with the guys beyond Bowers and Foote is that Lebanc, Zboril and possibly Bastian (I doubt it) are of AHL Veteran status and the Comets already have 4. Only 5 can play at one time.

So, Utica will have 2 good keepers, no #1 center (AGAIN!!!!!!!!!) and that's with Engaras being #4, and a weak D to kick off the season. The future looks no better if even equal to last season as things get underway.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad