HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Meh. Losing control is not a sign of strength, quite the opposite.

Lack of mental toughness has been a hallmark of the Leafs underwhelming performances throughout Reilly's tenure there.

Pre-season is different than regular season is different than post season. Failure to ramp up composure as the stakes get higher is a flaw, not a strength

Those who get excellence certainly would, himself included.

The best are the first to acknowledge when they let their emotions get in the way. That it happens is understandable, it's called being human. But I think you confuse fan takes with the mindset of the best elite performers.
The Leafs lose because they have a defeatist attitude. They get down on themselves rather easily.

When you have that attitude you're going to let things slide. The best, elite performers wouldn't let that go in a regular season game.
I understand how hockey works.

Morgan Reilly committed a suspendable act, and got suspended.

I also understand why shooting at a goalie after the whistle is both against 'the code' and even sometimes called for unsportsmanlike conduct.

On the other hand, having the opponent score into your empty net to drive a FIGURATIVE nail in your coffin does not cause actual danger to anything except the loser's feelings.

You quite clearly don't. You've proved it multiple times.

I mean, you've missed the point where players will just slide the puck in after a whistle and everyone goes after him.

Ryan Kesler took a slapshot at an empty net after the buzzer had gone and people went after him.

There are things you don't do in hockey and you've never been able to grasp that.

Like, I legitimate have concerns you don't even grasp Baseball.

Greenway could be an option
Is he rumoured to be available ?

DrBizz4r3

Oct 5, 2020
The Leafs lose because they have a defeatist attitude. They get down on themselves rather easily.

When you have that attitude you're going to let things slide. The best, elite performers wouldn't let that go in a regular season game.

I mean, you've missed the point where players will just slide the puck in after a whistle and everyone goes after him.

Ryan Kesler took a slapshot at an empty net after the buzzer had gone and people went after him.

There are things you don't do in hockey and you've never been able to grasp that.

Is he rumoured to be available ?
UFA in 2025-2026

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
And Habs have options in their pipelines. I'm expecting Tuch to get games this season and make the team next year. He's not going to be Sam Bennett, but he's going to be better than the cream puff/glass bodies on the bottom 6 the team currently has.

Anyone amused themselves to count how many games Evans, Dvorak, Gallagher and Anderson missed the last 3 seasons?
agree
tired of the bottom 6
dont mind evans, and then it is so blah

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Crosscheck to the head is stupid and far more dangerous even than shooting after a whistle at a goalie with pads on. It's also kind of cowardly, compared to resolutely shoving a guy the chest for example.

Sure, but a crosscheck to the head is not the honourable way to act.

I get that, and what Kesl;er did is not something I would do. It still does not justify the kind of thing that Reilly did.

LOL, you know not of what you speak.

Even funnier. Forty-four players I trained made Major Junior, nine turned pro and four made the major leagues. I know more than a bit about training athletes to perform under pressure and to channel their emotions positively.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
So when Greig deposited the puck in the Leafs net it was Morgan Reilly who went at him hard.
Mike Matheson can't do that and show some gumption?
I'm not saying drop the gloves but show some backbone at the very least.

When has Mike Matheson ever done that?

That's not who he is.

Don't expect something from someone if that isn't who they are.

If that is your reason to not want him on the team - that's certainly fine.

But I know when the PP is Slaf, Suzuki, Caufield, Hutson and Demidov.. I don't want any of them doing anything to anyone that might result in them breaking their hand, getting concussed, etc.

Take a number and get them later.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
When has Mike Matheson ever done that?

That's not who he is.

Don't expect something from someone if that isn't who they are.

If that is your reason to not want him on the team - that's certainly fine.

But I know when the PP is Slaf, Suzuki, Caufield, Hutson and Demidov.. I don't want any of them doing anything to anyone that might result in them breaking their hand, getting concussed, etc.

Take a number and get them later.
Maybe that's the problem then and what this entire discussion is about.
Who is the guy in our top pairings Savard is a Big Panda Bear and Guhle isn't that guy.
Is Reilly that guy NO he normally isn't but he got incensed and acted on it.
Well constructed teams have players who can be that guy when playing with the top forwards.

Guhle/Matheson Panda/Hutson
Is it any wonder Slaf and Dach are fighting?

Last edited:

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I wonder if the Habs could pry Martin Pospisil out of Calgary, that’s a player I’d love to have in the lineup.

He plays a physical game and drives the opposition insane. We could use that pest element, and I think there’s untapped potential these offensively.

Maybe something along the lines of:

To Calgary: Justin Barron, Jake Evans

To Montreal: Martin Pospisil, Brayden Pachal

Flames get a reliable bottom center on a cheap deal and a more offensively minded right hand shot defenseman. Habs get an agitator that goes into the dirty areas and throws the body, and a steady right hand shot defender that plays a bruising style.

Lineup looks like:

Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Newhook - Dach - Pospisil
Roy - Dvorak - Anderson
Gallagher - Beck - Armia

Matheson - Pachal (until Guhle returns)
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Struble

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Crosscheck to the head is stupid and far more dangerous even than shooting after a whistle at a goalie with pads on. It's also kind of cowardly, compared to resolutely shoving a guy the chest for example.

Sure, but a crosscheck to the head is not the honourable way to act.

I get that, and what Kesl;er did is not something I would do. It still does not justify the kind of thing that Reilly did.

LOL, you know not of what you speak.

Even funnier. Forty-four players I trained made Major Junior, nine turned pro and four made the major leagues. I know more than a bit about training athletes to perform under pressure and to channel their emotions positively.
You main point is saying the crosscheck is bad, which I already said he shouldn't have crosscheck him in the face and likely didn't intend to, but need to he control of his stick, so aside from that Rielly did the correct thing

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
You main point is saying the crosscheck is bad, which I already said he shouldn't have crosscheck him in the face and likely didn't intend to, but need to he control of his stick, so aside from that Rielly did the correct thing
LOL, If he just shoved Greig, Rielly would not have been celebrated by Leafs fans

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
I wonder if the Habs could pry Martin Pospisil out of Calgary, that’s a player I’d love to have in the lineup.

He plays a physical game and drives the opposition insane. We could use that pest element, and I think there’s untapped potential these offensively.

Maybe something along the lines of:

To Calgary: Justin Barron, Jake Evans

To Montreal: Martin Pospisil, Brayden Pachal

Flames get a reliable bottom center on a cheap deal and a more offensively minded right hand shot defenseman. Habs get an agitator that goes into the dirty areas and throws the body, and a steady right hand shot defender that plays a bruising style.

Lineup looks like:

Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Newhook - Dach - Pospisil
Roy - Dvorak - Anderson
Gallagher - Beck - Armia

Matheson - Pachal (until Guhle returns)
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Struble

I would like players like Pospisil but right now we need a player that can deal with sh*t happening, not create more of it.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
He doesn't scare anybody, there's no intimidation coming from him. He's useless.
Who cares he brings energy and drops gloves for teammates. We need more of that not less.

He's also happy to sit in press box for games at a time. As a 13th forward I think he's perfect for now

Reactions: Deus ex machina

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad