Confirmed with Link: Curtis Glencross Traded to Washington for 2nd&3rd Round Picks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Friedman thinks "there's a lot of interest" in Flames' Glencross
“I’d also heard that he’d been asked to submit a list of teams and initially he had only one, and that was Anaheim.

“I believe as several of you have reported today, including Roger Millions, that he’s expanded that list a little bit.

“I think there’s a lot of interest. I think probably about half the league at some point has checked in on him. I’ve reported in the past Boston, Pittsburgh, Winnipeg, I believe Tampa. I think Chicago is in on there too, although it’s always tough with them because of their cap situation is so tight. I could even see a team like Washington potentially being interested.

“Curtis Glencross can play.”

Glencross for Connolly.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Boston: Morrow
Pittsburgh: Harrington
Winnipeg: Ehlers
Tampa: Kucherov
Chicago: Teravainen

Close? :sarcasm:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
As per Boomer on 960; he's hearing Glencross has now asked to be dealt.

Here's a link to the tweet.

I mean, as much as some people have defended him in this thread; IF this is true; he needs to go. No need having a sour puss around for the kids to see. I love Glenny for what he's done with this team, but if he wants to go, he needs to go; we don't need Tanguay's kicking around.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I know the trade deadline is obviously around the corner, but it's crazy how fast this situation has progressed. I think Curtis wants to get paid a hefty amount to stay here, the Flames probably aren't willing to pay that (nor should they), so here we are. There have been zero talks about an extension, so the Flames are trying to find him another team. Glencross probably won't get paid a huge amount if he goes to FA because he'll want to play for a contender and they won't have the cap space. But I think to stay here, he would want significantly more.

I trust whatever Friedman says, I don't expect this to drag on much longer.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Oddly enough, would much rather have Engelland. He's overpaid, but he's done his job much more effectively than Nikitin.

No, he's been sheltered more effectively than Nikitin.

Nailed it again. I'd rather pay 9 million over 3 years than 2.

That third year is a bigger deal for us when we need to resign Monahan, Gaudreau, Giordano than the second year where we're still looking to meet the cap floor...

Nope Nikitin is pressbox fodder.

...Deryk Engelland is pressbox fodder...our worst penalty killer, our worst corsi guy, the only guy left on the team to score a goal, can't move the puck worth anything, and slow as hell defensively. He's lucky to be a #6 defensemen because this team has no depth. At Pittsburgh he was a forward and basically their McGrattan because he's a brutal Dman.

... Nikita Nikitin was a pretty effective player in Columbus.

Come on guys, you're letting your Oiler hate bleed through here.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Nikitin was a good player in Columbus. You're talking about former Nikitin. Sheltered or not, the Oilers overpaid for the "Columbus" Nikitin.

May 27, 2012
Earth
I think people are taking these rumors harder than they should. Apparently it's a rumor, so he probably hasn't asked. I don't think Glencross will make the "kids" be bad or affect in any major way like how some people are posting around here. They are men, and know what goes on compared to us who are outsiders and just speculating what might happen. Seems like they will be scarred or something.

There will always be someone asking to be traded on a team. Next thing you in 10 years Monahan might ask to be traded. Who knows? I hope he doesn't but just saying.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Nikitin was a good player in Columbus. You're talking about former Nikitin. Sheltered or not, the Oilers overpaid for the "Columbus" Nikitin.

The same could be said about Dubnyk or Perron. What do these players have in common with Nikitin? In a better situation they are effective. There hasn't been one player who's been a good player in Edmonton recently.

And who cares if you overpay if it's not a problem with respect to the Salary cap?

Engelland's contract becomes a cap problem after next year and we likely have to move him in a losing trade or buy him out. Nikitin would have just expired without a problem as our own prospects become ready to take over.

Calgary is a cap floor team right now, and overpaying a few guys doesn't hurt at all when they expire quickly.

I'd rather overpay for the better player, who is Nikitin. the Flames would be better off with him as their #6 Dman.

Not that either of these contracts is a big deal.. they're minor contracts that don't hurt either team a whole lot. But at the end of the day, both Nikitin and Engelland will have been paid 9 million dollars. Engelland is the worse player and yet becomes the more bothersome cap hit at the end of his contract. Nikitin is the better player and expires more timely for when the salary cap actually is an issue.

Last edited:

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I even had to google Tampa's prospects because I don't know any of them... god damn it :facepalm:
:laugh:

As per Boomer on 960; he's hearing Glencross has now asked to be dealt.

Here's a link to the tweet.

I mean, as much as some people have defended him in this thread; IF this is true; he needs to go. No need having a sour puss around for the kids to see. I love Glenny for what he's done with this team, but if he wants to go, he needs to go; we don't need Tanguay's kicking around.
Boomer is not a reliable source. He is an on air radio personality, he is not even a little bit of an insider. There is a reason he is the only person saying it.

...Deryk Engelland is pressbox fodder...
you do know what pressbox fodder is right? Someone who has played 52 of 56 games is not pressbox fodder. He is easily better than Diaz and he has been better than Smid by a considerable margin.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
you do know what pressbox fodder is right? Someone who has played 52 of 56 games is not pressbox fodder. He is easily better than Diaz and he has been better than Smid by a considerable margin.

Deryk Engelland is pressbox fodder on most teams except the Flames, who have no defensive depth or size whatsoever and are unwilling to play prospects. In fact that's why Engelland was picked up at such an absurd price anyways, a payment he himself was surprised by.

As for Diaz, he's been the better player of the two for a long time, carrying that pairing in pretty much every metric. But as a smaller player on an already small team, he had an upwards battle to climb to establish himself as a regular.

...Smid's been terrible, since he's been paired with Engelland instead of a puck-mover like Russell or Diaz. And looking back historically, Smid's been an okay bottom pairing defenseman while Engelland has played mostly goon-forward.

Nikitin would be an upgrade over either Smid or Engelland.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad