Value of: Crosby to the Avs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Sid's value as the cornerstone of the Pens' franchise exceeds anything they could get for him in a trade at this point in his career. The Avs would have to give up way more assets than it makes any sense to give up.

Reactions: brewski420

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Why are people doing this all the time? The Penguins and the Capitals are old and their window is closed. It never works out that way. These are still top teams.

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
It’s totally gonna happen after his contract is up as a one off cup chase with his padawan Nate. There’s only one higher loyalty Sid has than Pittsburgh ~ the lord’s chalice

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
There is a better chance of MacKinnon signing with the Penguins to play with Crosby as a UFA in two years than of Crosby playing for any other franchise, in my opinion. Neither one is very likely, though.

Reactions: orby

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
The Pens golden years are coming to a close, regardless of any recent win streaks. They will most likely get bounced again in the first or second round, especially with Sullivan behind the bench.

Sid to the Avs makes sense. He gets another shot at a cup on a legit contender, and gets to play with his buddy Mack. Pens get a nice return in order to rebuild. What would it take?

lolwut

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
There is a better chance of MacKinnon signing with the Penguins to play with Crosby as a UFA in two years than of Crosby playing for any other franchise, in my opinion. Neither one is very likely, though.

nate is obsessed with sid more than anyone in pittsburgh. on earth actually. bought the house beside his and follows him around all off season like a puppy dog. however which way it happens, these 2 playing together would be a fun destiny

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

What about Crosby signing with the Avs when he hits UFA in 2025? I think that's the best chance of them playing together, even if it's still extremely unlikely.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
The Pens golden years are coming to a close, regardless of any recent win streaks. They will most likely get bounced again in the first or second round, especially with Sullivan behind the bench.

Sid to the Avs makes sense. He gets another shot at a cup on a legit contender, and gets to play with his buddy Mack. Pens get a nice return in order to rebuild. What would it take?

I started off bolding one sentence, the more I read the more confused I got. The team is on a 10 game win streak, Crosby looks like Crosby, "especially Sullivan" LOL he's one of the best coaches in the league. Despite all the injuries over the last few years he's kept the Pens competitive every single season.

Sid to the avs makes no sense. He already has a legit shot at the cup and gets to play with his buddy Geno Malkin. What is this supposed return the pens get ?

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
What about Crosby signing with the Avs when he hits UFA in 2025? I think that's the best chance of them playing together, even if it's still extremely unlikely.
At least to date, it's just seemed like the guy would go out as a lifer with the Penguins, provided they wanted to keep him. There's new ownership coming, and I suppose that could change his mind if the relationship goes sour. Everything so far indicates that he's not suddenly going to be a wanderer late in his career, though. Unlike Bourque, he has his Cups and doesn't need to go chasing one in his final years. That team is a contender, too. They're among the better teams in the league right now.

I also think that players know that they can jeopardize future earnings as a spokesman in a community if they bail to become a merc very late in their careers. It's one thing if you've been a journeyman all your career, but for someone who has stuck with a single franchise for 15+ years? I don't see it. He can make bank selling products in Pittsburgh for the next 50 years.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
At least to date, it's just seemed like the guy would go out as a lifer with the Penguins, provided they wanted to keep him. There's new ownership coming, and I suppose that could change his mind if the relationship goes sour. Everything so far indicates that he's not suddenly going to be a wanderer late in his career, though. Unlike Bourque, he has his Cups and doesn't need to go chasing one in his final years. That team is a contender, too. They're among the better teams in the league right now.

I also think that players know that they can jeopardize future earnings as a spokesman in a community if they bail to become a merc very late in their careers. It's one thing if you've been a journeyman all your career, but for someone who has stuck with a single franchise for 15+ years? I don't see it. He can make bank selling products in Pittsburgh for the next 50 years.

I completely agree that Crosby retiring a Penguin is a near certainty, for exactly the reasons you lay out. But, if I had to come up with a semi-realistic situation where he plays with MacKinnon in a regular season game, I think a Crosby 2025 UFA signing is a top contender. I'd personally like a 2026 TDL signing at league minimum, just for the dramatic effect, but that's a real long shot.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Well if you want him to play with Mack the return starts with Makar. And if you want to keep Makar the return starts with Mack. If you want to keep both of those guys, which I’m assuming is the case:
Rantanen
Byram
Girard
Newhook
And keep adding 1st round picks till Pittsburgh says yes
Makar, Mackinnon, Rantanen are all better than Crosby at this point. If you think he's going to get some sort of insane haul, because he USED TO be the best player in the league, then you're mistaken.

Reactions: rogking65

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
hey I like this.

no, not because I like the idea of trading to get Sid on the Avs, but simply because now, instead of dealing with "Drouin to the Avs" proposals because "they are buddies", it is "Crosby to the Avs" because "they are buddies". talk about an improvement!

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Because hockey is a game of goals, and the Avs score the most of them.

Penguins keeping pace with the Avs despite not having Malkin all year lol.

I see no actual reason why anyone would think the Avs give a better chance for Crosby to go win a cup.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Penguins keeping pace with the Avs despite not having Malkin all year lol.

I see no actual reason why anyone would think the Avs give a better chance for Crosby to go win a cup.

I actually don't disagree with this. Avs and Pens are at very different ends of the contender life cycle curve but their chances may actually be similar.

Colorado needs to go on that classic playoff evolution that a team like Tampa recently went through, while Pittsburgh has a lot of that winning fiber but the question will be how much gas they have to make a long run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad