Rumor: Coyotes among many teams interested in Jacob Trouba

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
it's a wonder Trouba has yet to sign, guy is a decent young defenseman.

His agent is known for squeezing for every last dime. Personally I think most player are much better served by the Don Baizley approach of leaving a little on the table. It keeps the fans and GM behind the player though down spells and gives them many more options if they ever decide they want to move on.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
But every GM didn't.

I wish the Leafs took on those contracts this year.

Because the Leafs had already used that cap space in previous deals to take on guys like Michalek & Laich.

I like what Chayka did - but he had had a boatload of cap space, which he used. He's at the point now of having to make hockey deals, which is more challenging IMO.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
After his first ten games in his first year he was destined to a 6-7-8 million a year contract. Jet fans could not have been happier. Something has changed.

ellismate

Jun 9, 2015
SK
Why are we adding to Trouba to get Strome when a comparable D was just traded for much much more?

Because hall came from a desperate team who had no trade leverage on ANYONE. The decade long dumpster fire who kept getting top 3 picks and was never able to escape the lottery doesn't really get to make huge demands for their pieces. It's not like Patrick Kane or Jamie benn would get traded for someone along the lines of Larsson. We can't actually hold that as the current open market value. A #3 overall first line center is not going to go cheap

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Stuart happened

He's been his main defensive partner since he entered the league. The problem is that Stuart has fallen off a cliff and is no longer NHL caliber. I still can't figure out why Maurice kept trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole all season with Stu on the PK when it was just a train wreck. Within 3 games I believe of Stu's injury our PK saw noticeably better results. Stu is signed for 2 more years, if he's playing on the NHL squad ahead of Postma/Morrissey and even Chiarot this season before injuries then I think Mo needs to go. The best players need to play.

Jaffray15

Mar 12, 2008
Winnipeg
www.nhl94.com
He's been his main defensive partner since he entered the league. The problem is that Stuart has fallen off a cliff and is no longer NHL caliber. I still can't figure out why Maurice kept trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole all season with Stu on the PK when it was just a train wreck. Within 3 games I believe of Stu's injury our PK saw noticeably better results. Stu is signed for 2 more years, if he's playing on the NHL squad ahead of Postma/Morrissey and even Chiarot this season before injuries then I think Mo needs to go. The best players need to play.

There's other speculating rumours as well why Trouba's game has been on the decline since his rookie season, which haven't been made public.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015

Actually for the first 7 or so games after Stuart was injured the PK was even worse. It wasn't till then they finally completely changed their entire PK and it got noticeably better.

Even when stuart was healthy and the second PK unit was on the ice it was just as bad when Stuart was on the ice.

With or without Stuart the PK was a disaster. Funny how jets fans seems to forget that and just like the blame the horrible PK on one player.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Where have you been all this time? That is EXACTLY what Jets need. :sarcasm:

Yeah, I've noticed some Jets fans respond well to a deal around Gardiner and Valiev for Trouba because of their interest in LHD. I figured throwing in a couple relatively minor pieces from the Jets, while adding a 1st line winger from the Leafs would be the sealant necessary to complete a deal. I've reconsidered though and I'd rather deal them separately.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
His agent is known for squeezing for every last dime. Personally I think most player are much better served by the Don Baizley approach of leaving a little on the table. It keeps the fans and GM behind the player though down spells and gives them many more options if they ever decide they want to move on.

I've always thought this too. Especially in a Canadian market. There is good money to be made on the side, plus a lifetime of post hockey opportunities for anyone seen as a "team guy". It dwarfs the extra earnings from being a hard--- negotiator. Its a horrible idea to leave that negative sentiment among your fanbase.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
My take is that Overhardt is gambling on Trouba doing well at the WC.
Contract will be signed after that event (possibly slightly delayed into training camp).

Jets won't sign anything that expedites his path to UFA.
i.e. a bridge deal will be short enough that he's still RFA at the end and a longer contract will include a UFA year or 2.

Perhaps 7 year is a good number so it doesn't come up the same year as Scheif.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Well the announcement this year that saw Stu lose his "A" on his jersey indicates the team is changing direction. I have no doubt Stu will start the year on the 3rd pair... but there are plenty of options to replace him. He's just more expensive than them. Apparently he's worked very hard this off season on his skating etc... to try to delay the inevitable end of his NHL career. I've also heard he played with some major nagging injuries so who knows perhaps Stu has one last swan song season.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
This thread is decently civil... surprising considering the glut of pages that have been typed about Trouba this summer.

Doubly ironic considering the shared history that the two locations share that the other teams don't. Kind of helps that this topic doesn't consist of tearing down a player to build up another one that is so common in these threads. Basically, so long as you're not asking about Reilly or Lindholm, you're good.

Well the announcement this year that saw Stu lose his "A" on his jersey indicates the team is changing direction. I have no doubt Stu will start the year on the 3rd pair... but there are plenty of options to replace him. He's just more expensive than them. Apparently he's worked very hard this off season on his skating etc... to try to delay the inevitable end of his NHL career. I've also heard he played with some major nagging injuries so who knows perhaps Stu has one last swan song season.

Honestly, the best thing for him to do is to have one last season with the Jets, retire after this season, and accept some sort of post-career position with TNSE's hockey ops, because you know that's going to happen eventually. They may have taken his A, but they won't diminish him as a player or his character; that's what us fans are for. :)

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Yeah, I've noticed some Jets fans respond well to a deal around Gardiner and Valiev for Trouba because of their interest in LHD. I figured throwing in a couple relatively minor pieces from the Jets, while adding a 1st line winger from the Leafs would be the sealant necessary to complete a deal. I've reconsidered though and I'd rather deal them separately.

It does fit team needs.

I'd propose something like:

Gardiner
Nielsen
Middleton

For

Trouba
Phillips

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
The Jets don't really appear to be in much of a hurry to trade him per Elliotte Friedman this evening:
http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/drafting-laine-complicated-potential-trouba-trade-talks/

Even Sekeres followed by speculating that the cost might be a roster D, a pick, and a prospect; they will ask for the moon - because they likely don't intend to move him.

Makes a modicum of sense. They aren't likely to trade him until Myers status becomes more clear anyway. The most likely scenario is that the Jets sign Trouba long-term, keep him for a couple of years, then move him when Tucker Poolman is ready to fill the spot.
Ummmmmmmmm, you have to sign Poolman first, don't you?
You either have very low expectations of Trouba or very high expectations of Poolman. I don't think Poolman will ever be as good as Trouba is now.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I can't see the Coyotes going for Trouba because the ask will be too much and quite honestly, Trouba will re-sign in Winnipeg. If there is a trade to happen between two teams, it will probably involve Fowler for Dano or Armia or Lowry or Copp plus 2nd rounder or something like that. I don't think the Jets trade for a D man before the expansion draft. Morrissey might make the team out of TC and that will help alleviate the need at the blueline.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Ummmmmmmmm, you have to sign Poolman first, don't you?
You either have very low expectations of Trouba or very high expectations of Poolman. I don't think Poolman will ever be as good as Trouba is now.

Ummm, they will first let Poolman finish his year in school and then sign him as is planned. I didn't state Poolman had to be as good as Trouba; I've already stated twice in this thread though that all he has to do to start is to play behind Buff and Myers om the right side in a year or two from now. By then Morrissey will likely be filling an offensive d-man role, and Poolman has some skills in that area as well, he can actually move the puck and is a fantastic skater.

Nice attempt at paraphrasing though. You won't need to replace Trouba in a few years (if need be) with an identical player by the way. In a few years time the construction of the Jets D will look different than it does today. That is kind of the point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad