Rumor: Coyotes among many teams interested in Jacob Trouba

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Same concern goes for Gaudreau, Lindholm, and other notable RFA's , I guess.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Same concern goes for Gaudreau, Lindholm, and other notable RFA's , I guess.

Nope, are you silly.

In Troubas case speculation from random people are facts, and in Lindholms case, where we have facts about him calling BM "cheap" is ignored....

I wounder why people are so intressted in Trouba, at the same time calles him overrated etc etc....

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
No, but you see you can't use Lindholm as a comparable to Trouba because their GM already ****ed up his cap structure, but Chevy has yet to screw his up. That means he could sign Trouba tomorrow, but he isn't willing to pay him. That means that Chevy is cheap and Trouba wants out.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Just because Chevy waits it out to make a trade, doesn't mean he gets the best value. Chevy might have misplayed his hand already. In a cap strapped NHL with expansion coming, suitors are limited. Trouba might not want to sign a short term deal or play on the left side to make the Jets happy. The longer this goes on, the more it works against Chevy.

Purely speculative. He could wait until after the expansion draft. There might well be several teams very keen to acquire him, with roster and cap space to spare. If the Jets don't get their return now he'll be signed and played prominently in the top four. He'll likely increase his trade value. The last thing Chevy needs to do is trade him below market value.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Based on current playing ability and future potential, trouba will likely be looking at a couple million less per season than Rielly is getting. There's no way he gets the same or more

So I don't know what the jets are waiting for. Offer him his 5 or 6 years at ~3 or 3.5 and get it signed. Simple

Umm, not sure if you're trolling or not paying attention, but Trouba won't sign for a penny less than $5m and Jets fans would be thrilled to have him at $5m x 6 years. People keep calling him a top 4, but the fact is when given a chance to play 1st pairing this season, he excelled.

So you have a Kurt Overhardt client that is not wanting to sign. While not being said outright, looks like for whatever reason, he wants out.

Your comparables are:
Kyle Turris
Brandon Dubinsky
Ryan Johansen

WPG may appear to have all the cards but.. did not work out that way with other teams. Don't think WPG will get anything near their wishlist and the longer this goes the more the pressure turns from the player to the team.

When it comes down to it, if Myers is healthy Trouba is a bit of a luxury. I'm expecting Morrissey to be able to step into the 2LHD spot this year, giving us a middle of the pack top 4. We're a fair bit better with Trouba, but I think management just shrugs if he sits out. Chevy has no fear at all of losing his job, there's no pressure on him to make a bad trade or sign a bad contract. Pay up or hang up. :popcorn:

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Is this the WPG depth chart going into the season?

Enstrom - Byfuglien
Morrissey - Myers
Stuart - Trouba

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Arizona won't even come close to getting him..

Chayka: We want trouba!
Chevy: Ok but he wants 7 million a season
Chayka: Wait a second... Can We actually pay him 1 million but have his cap hit
count for 7 million?
Chevy: No...
**click**

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Arizona won't even come close to getting him..

Chayka: We want trouba!
Chevy: Ok but he wants 7 million a season
Chayka: Wait a second... Can We actually pay him 1 million but have his cap hit
count for 7 million?
Chevy: No...
**click**

ya hes a brilliant GM so far. Unreal in offseason so far

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Purely speculative. He could wait until after the expansion draft. There might well be several teams very keen to acquire him, with roster and cap space to spare. If the Jets don't get their return now he'll be signed and played prominently in the top four. He'll likely increase his trade value. The last thing Chevy needs to do is trade him below market value.

Even before the ED there might be an opportunity.

I have no idea if Hextall is interested in Trouba (or Myers), but if he is the Flyers would be in a much better position to trade for him after the season but before the ED than right now. Currently the only dmen they have worth protecting are Ghost and Gudas.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Exactly this. Friedman has indicated that teams that want to get in on Trouba are finding that Chevy is not very keen on moving him, if at all. Gary Lawless (not always the most reliable Winnipeg-based reporter, but reportedly has connections with Trouba's agent) said today that he doesn't think that the Jets want to trade Trouba at all. He indicated that he thinks both sides would like a long-term deal, but are struggling to get to an agreement on salary. I guess that's pretty standard negotiation issues.

Lawless is reliable when he’s reporting, he just isn’t very good when he moves from reporting to analysis and he also gets tasked with doing op-ed (aka s*** disturbing). Separate his reporting and from the other two and he’s very reliable and has more Jets inside info than just about anyone out there. Anyway, he also said that a number of teams had approached the Jets but none of them were the type of offer the Jets would want for Trouba and they hadn't really considered any of them.

I still think Trouba wants something based on Hamilton’s contract while the Jets are looking more at Rielly’s as a template. I’d also guess they are looking at more years than either of those contracts.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Is this the WPG depth chart going into the season?

Enstrom - Byfuglien
Morrissey - Myers
Stuart - Trouba

Most people are expecting it to look
Trouba - Byfulien
Enstrom - Myers
Chiarot/Sturat – Postma/Chiarot

Morrissey doesn’t need wavers so he probability ends up playing the #1 D role for the Moose and maybe gets an injury call up.

Even when Trouba is paired with Stuart that pairing hasn’t been used a 3rd pair. It gets called that because Stuart is a 6/7 D, but it’s used more as either a defensive pair or to shelter weak forward lines against tough competition. Trouba’s QoC and zone deployments are mostly equivalent to low end top pairing, or tough second pairing depending on what metric you look at.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Just do 8 X 5.5 and call it a day!

Trouba’s camp won’t do that IMO. Maybe on 6 years, but on 8 I don’t see them dropping below 6million AAV and it’ll take some work to get them there.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Nope, are you silly.

In Troubas case speculation from random people are facts, and in Lindholms case, where we have facts about him calling BM "cheap" is ignored....

I wounder why people are so intressted in Trouba, at the same time calles him overrated etc etc....

Probably because good players can be overrated, and people are usually interested in adding good players to fill holes in their lineups.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Trouba’s camp won’t do that IMO. Maybe on 6 years, but on 8 I don’t see them dropping below 6million AAV and it’ll take some work to get them there.

That's probably exactly how it's going.

You know, if it ends up with 8 X 6, I'd still be happy. If they are looking for more than that, enjoy watching the games from home.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Lawless is reliable when he’s reporting, he just isn’t very good when he moves from reporting to analysis and he also gets tasked with doing op-ed (aka s*** disturbing). Separate his reporting and from the other two and he’s very reliable and has more Jets inside info than just about anyone out there. Anyway, he also said that a number of teams had approached the Jets but none of them were the type of offer the Jets would want for Trouba and they hadn't really considered any of them.

I still think Trouba wants something based on Hamilton’s contract while the Jets are looking more at Rielly’s as a template. I’d also guess they are looking at more years than either of those contracts.

Not sure what to think of Lawless.

Regarding the Trouba contract, my theory is that they are looking at a 7-8 year deal and can't agree on the salary with so few comparables.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets would be willing to go as high as around $6M a year on an 8 year term, but Trouba might be looking for a higher AAV to go that long.

On a 6-year deal I could see Trouba wanting something in the range of Seth Jones ($5.4 M), with the Jets wanting something around $5.25M.

This all assumes that both sides are open to a long-term deal, which is what seems to be the case based on the occasional snippets of information from various reporters.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Trouba's camp will want 8 x 6.0 doubt 5.5 does it.

I agree... I think the Jets would probably be okay with...

8 x $6.0M (just below the Scheifele contract)
7 x $5.7M
6 x $5.3M

At this point, both sides are grinding each other. I don't expect this deal to get done until there's some real pressure on both sides to conclude negotiations. That would most likely be very close to the opening of the regular season, or shortly thereafter (i.e. brief hold-out).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad