Rumor: Coyotes among many teams interested in Jacob Trouba

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Can't help but feel Winnipeg kinda missed the boat here.

They could have probably had Taylor Hall or even Puljujarvi+ for Trouba earlier in the summer or even gone in on PK Subban.

But now ... I mean since Edmonton already blew their wad on Larsson, they likely are content to keep Puljujarvi.

Now the market return for him isn't going to be as good as what it could have been 3 months ago.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I doubt Columbus could get him without moving a piece they really don't want to (or should) move. Basically, Jones/Murray, Werenski, Dubois, or this coming year's unprotected 1st.

Gotta know when to sit the hand out. Right now Winnipeg holds the cards. No reason for them to make a fair deal.

Agreed. CBJ have perhaps the most interesting assets to offer in this case, not saying they do it but it would be ideal.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Trouba is the one being (hypothetically) shopped, so he is the Hall in this scenario. If you don't "get" that, then you need to take your homer glasses off. Players being shopped almost always get less than market value.

You really don't know how to read a situation, do you?

Except he's not. Chevy has said he's not being shopped, and every single rumor is "teams are calling the Jets about Trouba" not us shopping him.

So he's not in the same place as Hall. We're not looking to trade Trouba

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I wonder if the Jets have had any serious discussions with the Islander about Hamonic? I know he took back his trade request but he would surely love to come to his home team. He's on a team friendly contract. Even though he's a right shot I think he would fit in well. I don't know if Snow wants to deal Hamonic now though.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Look what Larsson brought back :laugh:

Again that's part of the issue, Edmonton was the one team desperate for a young, good RHD.

But they already made a big move for that type of player.

The other teams and even Edmonton now are not nearly as desperate. So you can't expect the same type of overpay anymore.

That's why it would've made sense for the Jets front office to make up their mind on Trouba earlier, they could have gotten in on the PK Subban or Taylor Hall sweepstakes or gotten perhaps Edmonton's 1st from the draft last June (Puljujarvi).

Trouba has good value for sure, but I think the peak time to sell on him was this past June.

Personally if I was the Jets I would've moved on Taylor Hall very quickly. Schiefle/Hall/Laine/Wheeler/Buff/Myers .... whistles. That's likely a playoff team, and not only a playoff team but a team no one wants to play in the playoffs.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Again that's part of the issue, Edmonton was the one team desperate for a young, good RHD.

But they already made a big move for that type of player.

The other teams and even Edmonton now are not nearly as desperate. So you can't expect the same type of overpay anymore.

That's why it would've made sense for the Jets front office to make up their mind on Trouba earlier, they could have gotten in on the PK Subban or Taylor Hall sweepstakes or gotten perhaps Edmonton's 1st from the draft last June (Puljujarvi).

Trouba has good value for sure, but I think the peak time to sell on him was this past June.

Personally if I was the Jets I would've moved on Taylor Hall very quickly. Schiefle/Hall/Laine/Wheeler/Buff/Myers .... whistles. That's likely a playoff team, and not only a playoff team but a team no one wants to play in the playoffs.

NJD needed scoring up front, the Hall trade made sense for both sides. Winnipeg is looking for another Dman in return, which the Oilers would not have wanted to give up. Apples to Oranges. Sure, lots of good forwards were being offered for RHD... but the Jets don't need forward help.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Deon Phaneuf potential, remember Phaneuf's return..And how everyone thought Toronto made a killing? Think of a similar return. Average assets and 2nd-3rd round picks

Phaneuf was 30 years old with a $7m cap hit.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I like Trouba, but I'm more than content with sitting another year and seeing how the expansion draft and markets look like next summer for a top pairing RHD instead of ponying up the assets floated by Jets HFers to trade for Trouba.

Last edited:

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Except he's not. Chevy has said he's not being shopped, and every single rumor is "teams are calling the Jets about Trouba" not us shopping him.

So he's not in the same place as Hall. We're not looking to trade Trouba

There's a fair amount of chatter for a player not being shopped.

I do wonder why, then, all these Trouba threads keep popping up?

Is the whole league now breaking down the doors to acquire Trouba? If so, one would think there are some very attractive offers out there. What are they?

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB

Is the whole league now breaking down the doors to acquire Trouba? If so, one would think there are some very attractive offers out there. What are they?

Do the Jets as an organization have control over who can create threads on this free forum?

Teams have been calling but we have no idea what's been offered so far because we are not privy to that information.

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
Do the Jets as an organization have control over who can create threads on this free forum?

Teams have been calling but we have no idea what's been offered so far because we are not privy to that information.

Why waste your time responding to stunted questions?

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

I don't know.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with people being bored in the summer and speculating.

Chevy must have hired an army of HFBoards finest to drum up interest.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think this is why it seems to get worse over time. As teams drop out of negotiations and the season goes on the list of offers tends to dry up. Then the trading team gets backed into a corner and is forced to make a deal. Also depends on how the team does without him and how well the potential trading partners do. If he holds out and the Jets get off to a bad start the dynamic changes quickly. If they do well without him.. and their potential trading partners don't, they may hit the jackpot.

That's why Chevy's trademark / notorious patience is important. He'll wait an entire season or more if he doesn't get the right return. There's not huge pressure on him to win immediately, as there might be in some markets. He'll have a very young team again this season, with as many as 4 rookies in the line-up. He can afford to wait until the trade market is right. He didn't do that badly with the E. Kane trade, who had been asking for a trade for a couple of seasons or more.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Uhhhh, from all accounts, it's teams calling IN regarding Trouba. I have yet to see one report say the Jets are the ones doing the shopping so you are completely backwards.

Exactly this. Friedman has indicated that teams that want to get in on Trouba are finding that Chevy is not very keen on moving him, if at all. Gary Lawless (not always the most reliable Winnipeg-based reporter, but reportedly has connections with Trouba's agent) said today that he doesn't think that the Jets want to trade Trouba at all. He indicated that he thinks both sides would like a long-term deal, but are struggling to get to an agreement on salary. I guess that's pretty standard negotiation issues.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I have no interest in seeing the Coyotes acquire Jacob Trouba. I'd much rather wait and see if Murphy can take that next step forward and if Stone has fully recovered from surgery.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
I wonder if the Jets have had any serious discussions with the Islander about Hamonic? I know he took back his trade request but he would surely love to come to his home team. He's on a team friendly contract. Even though he's a right shot I think he would fit in well. I don't know if Snow wants to deal Hamonic now though.

After everything that's happened, there's no way you trade Hamonic now, especially in a lateral move.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Spot on. Chayka has been hailed as some sort of a genius due that he has been selling cap space (left to him by another GM) during a period when teams needed cap space. Lets see how good he is when the request in a trade return isn't for cap space - but rather is for him to gut some of the Coyotes' organizational depth from both the roster and from the top-end of their prospects.

:laugh: Exactly.

People still don't understand that cap space itself is an asset.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
That's why Chevy's trademark / notorious patience is important. He'll wait an entire season or more if he doesn't get the right return. There's not huge pressure on him to win immediately, as there might be in some markets. He'll have a very young team again this season, with as many as 4 rookies in the line-up. He can afford to wait until the trade market is right. He didn't do that badly with the E. Kane trade, who had been asking for a trade for a couple of seasons or more.

Just because Chevy waits it out to make a trade, doesn't mean he gets the best value. Chevy might have misplayed his hand already. In a cap strapped NHL with expansion coming, suitors are limited. Trouba might not want to sign a short term deal or play on the left side to make the Jets happy. The longer this goes on, the more it works against Chevy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad