OT: COVID-19- March 17 2020 - No politics! Read post #1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I get it ... makes sense ... real estate is overheated to begin with in toronto ... why not give yourself the option ... and the company that took on the risk probably thought nothing would change ... I am curious how long you think before we go from property sitting forever until the downward pricing spiral? Any idea? curious.

Personally I can't imagine property values going down in the GTA substantially for the foreseeable future. The majority of our 350,000+ new Canadians are settling here. Regardless of economics, people need somewhere to live. But again, I hedge.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
I work back office for mortgages at an FI. Our whole department is officially working from home tomorrow. I started working from home on Tuesday, but due to a laptop shortage some had to wait until today.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I agree 100%. But I don't think the canadian govt can do much to stop Ford from buying up containers on da free market. It is RIGHT and CORRECT your thinking but I don't know how you would make it happen.

there is data available to make evidence based decisions.

every trader good gets stamped about where it’s going and what the good is.

military (global not just Canadian) can help move the goods that are “needs” to help people all over the world; for the “wants” let the free market transactions take place.

most of our food supply in Canada is met by Canadian production except may be rice; if Chinese are creating issues we just go to India for rice they are one of the major exporters of rice

similarly for medical supplies; if domestic production isn’t enough in Canada and we can’t work it out with China then we look elsewhere. Only thing is we will have to really get the “approval” done from health Canada if these medical supplies come from somewhere else

it can be done the question is whether or not we want to do it.

that said, I am pretty sure China is going to play ball when it comes to “needs” they have to face global chin music if they don’t help. And China is already helping( they sent medical teams to Italy and have offered to help shortage of medical supplies in US.

It’s just the freakin shipping companies trying take advantage of the situation of the “needs based goods” is not cool; we just need to call in and strategize with our NATO allies how we can use military to increase the shipping of “needs based goods”.

muse Navy and Air Force to quickly move needs based goods between countries and then military from truck transportions to stores. May be offer tax breaks for truck transportation firms who are willing to help in these times at a reasonable rate; etc....

it could be done if we want to really help instead of trying to make a quick buck trying to take advantage of the situation. I mean lives are at stake it’s not “business as usual” right now ;)

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
there is data available to make evidence based decisions.

every trader good gets stamped about where it’s going and what the good is.

military (global not just Canadian) can help move the goods that are “needs” to help people all over the world; for the “wants” let the free market transactions take place.

most of our food supply in Canada is met by Canadian production except may be rice; if Chinese are creating issues we just go to India for rice they are one of the major exporters of rice

similarly for medical supplies; if domestic production isn’t enough in Canada and we can’t work it out with China then we look elsewhere. Only thing is we will have to really get the “approval” done from health Canada if these medical supplies come from somewhere else

it can be done the question is whether or not we want to do it.

that said, I am pretty sure China is going to play ball when it comes to “needs” they have to face global chin music if they don’t help. And China is already helping( they sent medical teams to Italy and have offered to help shortage of medical supplies in US.

It’s just the freakin shipping companies trying take advantage of the situation of the “needs based goods” is not cool; we just need to call in and strategize with our NATO allies how we can use military to increase the shipping of “needs based goods”.

muse Navy and Air Force to quickly move needs based goods between countries and then military from truck transportions to stores. May be offer tax breaks for truck transportation firms who are willing to help in these times at a reasonable rate; etc....

it could be done if we want to really help instead of trying to make a quick buck trying to take advantage of the situation. I mean lives are at stake it’s not “business as usual” right now ;)

I'm not sure the military of today is capable of that type of mass logistical movement all over the world

I wouldn't want the Chinese military anywhere near a lot of that stuff, a lot of governments over the years have cut military capabilities to the bone and the Americans (who may be able to do something like that with enough time and enormous capital expenditure) already have a lot of logistical commitments with its various military entanglements

I think that's way more than the military can deal with

Also remember, governments are already using the military within their own boarders to put together infrastructure to help deal with the pandemic

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
There are people in their 30's in ICU with it

There are always people in their 30s in the ICU with different virus' or bacterial pneumonia etc. I am just saying if we have the treatment and have it at the ready we can apply treatment at first signs which will stop that. The drugs not terrible, it's basically Chlorine.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I'm not sure the military of today is capable of that type of mass logistical movement all over the world

I wouldn't want the Chinese military anywhere near a lot of that stuff, a lot of governments over the years have cut military capabilities to the bone and the Americans (who may be able to do something like that with enough time and enormous capital expenditure) already have a lot of logistical commitments with its various military entanglements

I think that's way more than the military can deal with

Also remember, governments are already using the military within their own boarders to put together infrastructure to help deal with the pandemic

under normal circumstances sure;

but...

special circumstances special outside the box measures. If not, someone is going to profit and people are gonna lose and fiscal policies are not going to be effective

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
under normal circumstances sure;

but...

special circumstances special outside the box measures. If not, someone is going to profit and people are gonna lose and fiscal policies are not going to be effective

That doesn't mean they are capable of it though, do you have any Idea how much cargo were talking here?

It takes years to ramp up to that type of logistical output, in both equipment and manpower

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
That doesn't mean they are capable of it though, do you have any Idea how much cargo were talking here?

It takes years to ramp up to that type of logistical output, in both equipment and manpower

that is why I said global or at least NATO partners partnership. We are in it together.

And only to supply needs not wants.

food prices have already increased in Canada recently; I don’t think paying 20 bucks for just one loaf of bread and one bag of milk is ideal

special circumstances call for special innovative ways of delivery

Sitting on our assess not doing anything about it is not going to accomplish anything

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Ceo of AMC is already asking for government relief.

Everyone is going to be asking for it. The main thing is that the GOV has to award with their shares put up as collateral, just as the FED is doing. You can't just be giving them handouts. Most of these companies were wasting all the cheap money they were making on bonus' and luxury, now they are screwed and they want the people to bail them out? For what? So they can give themselves a bigger bonus?

We should let all those terribly run companies that can't make it a few weeks just die and be gone, let them sell to other companies that can manage them better or fold them up and liquidate them. That's the way capitalism is supposed to be, this is corporate welfare upon the backs of taxpayers.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
that is why I said global or at least NATO partners partnership. We are in it together.

food prices have already increased in Canada recently; I don’t think paying 20 bucks for just one loaf of bread and one bag of milk is ideal

Sitting on our assess not doing anything about it is not going to accomplish anything

What? The Americans carry NATO and I seriously doubt they could do this without a massive ramp up in capabilities, so NATO ain't getting that done

Just saying "special circumstances" doesn't make it logistically possible for current military's to move that much material

Moving that much freight doesn't just happen, you need massive amounts of equipment, trained manpower and a logistical chain to pull that off which current military's just can't do for a large part of the world's population at once

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019

Wow. Everytime you mention 20 bucks for milk or bread I get flashbacks of reading my grade school textbook looking at pictures of pre war Germany as people needed a wheelbarrow full of money to buy groceries.

Also, I have inquired into the laws of how I can help with the shipping problem.

As I have already been laid off for the time being, I figure I can rent a 5 tonne where I don't need a special license and offer shipping for the cost of gas and a small hourly wage.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
What? The Americans carry NATO and I seriously doubt they could do this without a massive ramp up in capabilities, so NATO ain't getting that done

Just saying "special circumstances" doesn't make it logistically possible for current military's to move that much material

Moving that much freight doesn't just happen, you need massive amounts of equipment, trained manpower and a logistical chain to pull that off which current military's just can't do for a large part of the world's population at once

War and the MIC is a tool of fear for Bankers, Corporations and GOV to rule over the people. Once you achieve the technology of Nuke, one would logically just shift to a policy of... We love life but if attacked we use our Nukes on you. Big time money saver. Modern armies are Corporate/Banking mercenaries going out to secure assets for "The company".

War is a Racket by Smedley D. Butler, from Project Gutenberg Canada

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Everyone is going to be asking for it. The main thing is that the GOV has to award with their shares put up as collateral, just as the FED is doing. You can't just be giving them handouts. Most of these companies were wasting all the cheap money they were making on bonus' and luxury, now they are screwed and they want the people to bail them out? For what? So they can give themselves a bigger bonus?

We should let all those terribly run companies that can't make it a few weeks just die and be gone, let them sell to other companies that can manage them better or fold them up and liquidate them. That's the way capitalism is supposed to be, this is corporate welfare upon the backs of taxpayers.

I'm very squiffy about governments owning stocks in "private" companies and all the problems that could lead to in the future

I'd rather have the banks offering companies low interest loans which the government back so the banks don't go under or not want to lend, i think the banks are in a better position to make those types of decisions rather than the government

It's not "free money" either so they may not be as inclined to squander it on stock buybacks or bonus payments to execs

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Personally I can't imagine property values going down in the GTA substantially for the foreseeable future. The majority of our 350,000+ new Canadians are settling here. Regardless of economics, people need somewhere to live. But again, I hedge.

There's a lot of foreign money in Canadian real estate. A global recession will mean that holders of those properties may need to sell to get some liquid money to stay financially afloat. Don't be shocked if property prices go down by a half or more. The wildcard is that the stimulus money flooded into the economy could devalue the currency so much that the property's true value decline isn't immediately apparent.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
winner winner, chicken dinner. :thumbu:

Mmmmmm, I would love a chicken dinner. My wife and I have tried buying some at the local grocery stores a few times this week, but no cigar. I think it's time to join Grocery Gateway.

Reactions: rumman

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I'm very squiffy about governments owning stocks in "private" companies and all the problems that could lead to in the future

I'd rather have the banks offering companies low interest loans which the government back so the banks don't go under or not want to lend, i think the banks are in a better position to make those types of decisions rather than the government

It's not "free money" either so they may not be as inclined to squander it on stock buybacks or bonus payments to execs

I hate the idea but if that's what Canada is going to do anyways, get some collateral. Believe me, I hate big Government because it's completely useless and not cost effective. Nothing ever gets done on time or on budget and you give them $100 and get $30 of productivity.

Pretty sure our banks will just get the money from the Bank of Canada with the stroke of a key and once it's there if they run in to troubles, Canadian's pay anyways.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
War and the MIC is a tool of fear for Bankers, Corporations and GOV to rule over the people. Once you achieve the technology of Nuke, one would logically just shift to a policy of... We love life but if attacked we use our Nukes on you. Big time money saver. Modern armies are Corporate/Banking mercenaries going out to secure assets for "The company".

War is a Racket by Smedley D. Butler, from Project Gutenberg Canada

Most western countries have been very reluctant to spend money on the military and go out of their way to keep their soldiers out of "harms way" (with a few obvious exceptions)

The New Zealand army is more likely to be used in humanitarian missions, moving small amounts of freight or building infrastructure that actual warfare

That why I can say with some confidence that the military isn't logistically capable of moving the vast amounts of "needs" goods PromisedLand would like

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Yes there has. I'm keeping a close eye on the markets right now waiting for a moment to buy shares knowing full well it'll likely take 2 years to see any serious gains. These are also long term investments. You'd be a fool to invest at the moment looking for short-term gains. It's just not going to happen.

I don't know about that. Because of the nature and cause of this economic crisis, I think the recovery of the markets is going to be a steep curve in a relatively short period of time. As soon as there are even glimpses that we are nearing the end of this thing, that's the time to go all in and hold on to your horses.

Last edited:
Reactions: JT AM da real deal

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

You think it is logistical issue I think it can be done i don;t think using military might (navy, airforce) to get "needs" to stores so that people can still buy affordable food/meds instead of paying jacked up prices because shipping industry is trying to make a quick buck taking advantage of the situation is out of the ordinary. It is not rocket science; it is loading stuff up and transporting it from point A to point B. It not about ransporing radioactive material or highly sensitive material where logistics and supply chain have to be monitored and handled carefully; I guess we will agree to disagree here.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Bill gates just did an AMA and its trending on reddit. Basically said they are working on an id chip that you insert to show you were vaccinated. People are freaking out.

Here is the full AMA.

digital certificate” is essentially a “digital ID microchip” that will be implanted under a person’s skin:
“…Microsoft and MIT developed ‘tatoo markers’ that show whether you have recieved a vaccine or not. This will be coupled with Gate’s new invention, ID2020, which is a digital ID microchip implanted under the skin.”​
"

Last edited:
Reactions: PromisedLand

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Most western countries have been very reluctant to spend money on the military and go out of their way to keep their soldiers out of "harms way" (with a few obvious exceptions)

The New Zealand army is more likely to be used in humanitarian missions, moving small amounts of freight or building infrastructure that actual warfare

That why I can say with some confidence that the military isn't logistically capable of moving the vast amounts of "needs" goods PromisedLand would like

It's very easy to do. You declare emergency and then take over commercial airlines for a time, and move what you need with their pilots and cargo capacity. We have a very large merchant fleet, larger than ever.

Reactions: PromisedLand

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Wow. Everytime you mention 20 bucks for milk or bread I get flashbacks of reading my grade school textbook looking at pictures of pre war Germany as people needed a wheelbarrow full of money to buy groceries.

Also, I have inquired into the laws of how I can help with the shipping problem.

As I have already been laid off for the time being, I figure I can rent a 5 tonne where I don't need a special license and offer shipping for the cost of gas and a small hourly wage.

some of my family in BC was saying that they are seeing weird price action. Price of gas has gone down at the pumps but eggs/milk/bread of jumped quite a lot.

It is really unethical and downright disgusting that shipping firms are trying to make a huge margin for getting the "needs" to the stores. quite pathetic really. Governments need to act on this and fast!!!

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Bill gates just did an AMA and its trending on reddit. Basically said they are working on an id chip that you insert to show you were vaccinated. People are freaking out.

He is going to start a war over that kind of thing. Fly over country ain't taking any kind of mark, ever. They know and are armed. Maybe some trendies in the cities will love it and connect it to their iPhones and all that.

ID2020 | Digital Identity Alliance

Reactions: Slot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad