OT: COVID-19- March 17 2020 - No politics! Read post #1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
It may take 6 months to a year, but the markets will bounce back. If anything, I see the next little while as a tremendous buying opportunity for many blue chip stocks.
Umm...haven't there been periods, multiple periods, where it took almost like a decade for the economy to recover and get back to where they were before? And many others that took years? Unless I'm mistaken, it's only been in recent times (say last 20 years?) where the economy has recovered in about a year or less?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Umm...haven't there been periods, multiple periods, where it took almost like a decade for the economy to recover and get back to where they were before? And many others that took years? Unless I'm mistaken, it's only been in recent times (say last 20 years?) where the economy has recovered in about a year or less?

U.S. Stock Bear Markets and Their Subsequent Recoveries

The most recent U.S. bear market started amid the new coronavirus outbreak of 2020. The stock market crashed in March, with the Dow Jones Industrial Average and the S&P 500 Index both falling more than 20% from their 52-week highs in February.
Other bear markets, as measured by the S&P 500, include:1
  • 2007-2009: down 59% over 27 months
  • 1973-1974: down 48% over 21 months
  • 1929-1932: down 86% over 34 months
For investors who sold at the bottom of these markets, these downtimes had a detrimental effect. And of course, those who stayed in long enough to experience a subsequent recovery were better off. Remaining focused on the long-term is important when in the middle of a bear market.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
What about Florida and all the Southern states already around those temps.
Stanford hospital board internal message.
The new Coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days. How can one know if he/she is infected? By the time they have fever and/or cough and go to the hospital, the lung is usually 50% Fibrosis and it's too late. Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning. Take a deep breath and hold your breath for more than 10 seconds. If you complete it successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, etc., it proves there is no Fibrosis in the lungs, basically indicates no infection. In critical time, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air. Serious excellent advice by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases: Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat are moist, never dry. Take a few sips of water every 15 minutes at least. Why? Even if the virus gets into your mouth, drinking water or other liquids will wash them down through your throat and into the stomach. Once there, your stomach acid will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water more regularly, the virus can enter your windpipe and into the lungs. That's very dangerous. Please send and share this with family and friends. Take care everyone and may the world recover from this Coronavirus soon. IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - CORONAVIRUS 1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold 2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose. 3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the Sun. 4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne. 5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface - wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap. 6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it. 7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice. 8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on. 9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice. 10. Can't emphasis enough - drink plenty of water! THE SYMPTOMS 1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days 2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further. 3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing. 4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention

It is still alive no matter where you go. It just does not travel as easily person to person in the heat. If you look at southern US states there are far fewer cases. Much like southern Italy compared to northern Italy. Same in Africa closer to equator.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Chloroquine had 100% success rate in treating Covid19 in France. Just make sure that doesn't cause a problem on re-infection, then lets just quarantine the old and get back up and running on Monday. This is just silly at this point, it's not worth tanking our economies for if there is a treatment that is viable.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
At this time; we need to separate "needs" versus "wants"

Needs are: Food, medicines, water, housing (affordable not living large housing); other necessities if they apply

Wants are: Big screen televisions, cars, armani jackets, etc...

Let the free market operations handle the wants;

Needs have to be monitored by sound and strong fiscal policies. If there are layoffs at Honda then so be it; the people who get laid off will have their needs met by the transfers provided by the government; once this virus fiasco is behind us the demand for "wants" will increase and honda can hire new employees.

If the so called shipping companies bid up the prices; business have to sell at a higher cost to make their margin; do you think households are going to pay that "high price" to get the "wants"??? May be some who want to live large; majority of the people will not pay ridiculous prices anyway to begin with and the layoffs will happen later on as business will have to eat the cost.

Other thing that can happen is that we start producing what we "need" or "want" and chinese suffer in the end as their exports are too expensive; then chinese will have to eat the cost. Meanwhile; we create jobs in our own economy and satisfy our needs by domestic production.

International trade among NAFTA partners and may be CETA partners increase more and China will suffer in the end; in a global framework eventually someone would suffer. Honda peronnel that work there are mostly sales; mechanics; these skills are easily transferable it is not specialized rocket science. I am not that worried about these.

Given the special circumstances we are facing right now; any shipping firm trying "profit" on the needs should be penalized; for the "wants" let the free market transactions go ahead.

I am pretty sure most of the Canadian households at the moment care more about paying their everyday bills and meeting their everyday needs instead of buying Honda Civic ;)
I agree 100%. But I don't think the canadian govt can do much to stop Ford from buying up containers on da free market. It is RIGHT and CORRECT your thinking but I don't know how you would make it happen.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I agree 100%. But I don't think the canadian govt can do much to stop Ford from buying up containers on da free market. It is RIGHT and CORRECT your thinking but I don't know how you would make it happen.
Da chinese hate us after we extradicted one of their rich kids to the US. Not da people but da govt.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
What about Florida and all the Southern states already around those temps.

Not to mention the outbreak in Australia.

Their hottest summer on record... basically a continent on fire. They too have over 700 cases like we do and are about to close their borders.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Stanford hospital board internal message.
The new Coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days. How can one know if he/she is infected? By the time they have fever and/or cough and go to the hospital, the lung is usually 50% Fibrosis and it's too late. Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning. Take a deep breath and hold your breath for more than 10 seconds. If you complete it successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, etc., it proves there is no Fibrosis in the lungs, basically indicates no infection. In critical time, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air. Serious excellent advice by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases: Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat are moist, never dry. Take a few sips of water every 15 minutes at least. Why? Even if the virus gets into your mouth, drinking water or other liquids will wash them down through your throat and into the stomach. Once there, your stomach acid will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water more regularly, the virus can enter your windpipe and into the lungs. That's very dangerous. Please send and share this with family and friends. Take care everyone and may the world recover from this Coronavirus soon. IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - CORONAVIRUS 1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold 2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose. 3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the Sun. 4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne. 5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface - wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap. 6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it. 7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice. 8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on. 9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice. 10. Can't emphasis enough - drink plenty of water! THE SYMPTOMS 1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days 2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further. 3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing. 4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention

It is still alive no matter where you go. It just does not travel as easily person to person in the heat. If you look at southern US states there are far fewer cases. Much like southern Italy compared to northern Italy. Same in Africa closer to equator.

unfortunately that “self assessment” is proven to be a hoax. By all means do it but it won’t tell you anything except you can hold your breath for 10 seconds

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
unfortunately that “self assessment” is proven to be a hoax. By all means do it but it won’t tell you anything except you can hold your breath for 10 seconds

I enjoyed the grammatical errors particularly muchly. ;)

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Chloroquine had 100% success rate in treating Covid19 in France. Just make sure that doesn't cause a problem on re-infection, then lets just quarantine the old and get back up and running on Monday. This is just silly at this point, it's not worth tanking our economies for if there is a treatment that is viable.

There are people in their 30's in ICU with it

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Well good news is Toronto real estate is going to get hammered over next few months. There are way too many kids living way over their heads in condos and apartments. And with Chinese not allowed to come in now I think you will see a 30-40% correction pretty quickly. There are going to be many families in much much worse spots as they are going to be upside down. Their equity completely wiped out by debt they took on. At that point people turn over their keys to da banks and banks auction off to highest bidder.

Then I'm glad I locked in the HELOC on my mortgage free house 6 months ago at prime -1. If the bottom falls right out, they can have the house, I'll take the money :).

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Be skeptical. You may be getting marketed to. Bayer has a long history "discovering" and promoting new uses for their old drug products. Aspirin was heavily promoted as a treatment for the Spanish flu and patients receiving large doses of Aspirin may have played a part in the massive bleeds in patients' lungs that would kill them. Remember the anthrax scare? Remember the drug the media wouldn't stop talking about, Cipro? Another Bayer product.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Yes, but it is increasingly apparent that they have become the main drivers of the spread of the virus because most of them are asymptomatic, and many of them have not taken the pandemic seriously enough.
winner winner, chicken dinner. :thumbu:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Well, many are taking shots at the Prime Minister, even after the extra bailout money for the Oil Patch Alberta's premiere wants more.

Some of the questions being asked by reporters must make more than just me think some of these people are just stupid.
two wrongs don't make a right.........

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Yes you and I will holdback 10% (hopefully next Friday) from remittance and that is supposed to be going to those employees vs the government. But when taxes are filed for 2021 guess what happens? As per my accountant it will get clawed back.

Are you sure you're not conflating different measures? They used very different language for the 10% wage vs. the income tax deferral, subsidy and deferral are very different things.

If they're saying subsidy and meaning deferral it's slimy as hell.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Well, it gives me options anyway. I hedge every chance I get.
I get it ... makes sense ... real estate is overheated to begin with in toronto ... why not give yourself the option ... and the company that took on the risk probably thought nothing would change ... I am curious how long you think before we go from property sitting forever until the downward pricing spiral? Any idea? curious.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Yes there has. I'm keeping a close eye on the markets right now waiting for a moment to buy shares knowing full well it'll likely take 2 years to see any serious gains. These are also long term investments. You'd be a fool to invest at the moment looking for short-term gains. It's just not going to happen.

Reactions: PromisedLand

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Are you sure you're not conflating different measures? They used very different language for the 10% wage vs. the income tax deferral, subsidy and deferral are very different things.

If they're saying subsidy and meaning deferral it's slimy as hell.
No it is a subsidy when/if legislation passes. The issue becomes then they have to give the same credit on your income tax filing otherwise it goes right back as extra income next year. As of today they haven't. They might. or they may not. My accountant asked CRA rep why they did not put tax change in the legislation too? No response. They said as of today it is a deferral. It does give people more money in their pockets today. This issue will confuse non accountant types.

Reactions: 4thline
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad