OT: Coronavirus XVI: Hey Covid-19, Piss Off Already

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
You mean I didn’t have to pay the fines I got speeding in the us?

I doubt you would have to. Motor Vehicles here would have no authority for collection of them. If you get ticketed in Canada you can't get new plates or registration without paying up. That isn't the case for out of jurisdiction fines. Additionally out of country collection is much more difficult. The worst is some collection agency could try to impact your credit rating for non payment. if that's any area of concern.

A word though is if you have demerits, and if that's a concern, and the US ticket sets you over a limit you will pay more for insurance and your insurer will know about it. But you are not forced to pay the fine. It goes to collections, and a possible report on your credit rating for non collection. Myself I could care less about the latter. Credit rating is uber solid and I never need it anyway.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I suppose my perspective is that while the overall state of humanity is high, it can be relatively low at this current moment in time. Things are far from roses relative to where they have been in society for a very large number of people.

For me that means that things that might have held importance during those better times, like cutting the grass perfectly, take a backseat to addressing those more basic needs.

As we can see there are some who are in positions of privledge currently where grass cutting is still something they can remain focused on. They are fortunate. That is not the case for a much higher percentage of people currently.

Gee, all this time I thought cutting my lawn all summer on 5 bucks worth of gas (Or the charging cordless lawnmower I currently own) was cheap and easy to do. Most people feel this way. The people that buy a house and can't be bothered to ever cut a lawn or shovel a sidewalk (also doesn't cost anything) just out of coincidence are the same lazy asses that dial up skip the dishes twice a day.

jebus getting outside is GOOD for people during a pandemic. maybe get a bit of exercise and feel a little better.

It sure isn't the case that cutting the lawn is a sign of privilege (absolutely ridiculous thing to say) and it sure isn't the case that the majority don't do it. Its the city that doesn't do it much. The privileged city that takes all my property tax and subsidizes ebikes, arenas, and solar panels and whatever other pet project is going on.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I doubt you would have to. Motor Vehicles here would have no authority for collection of them. If you get ticketed in Canada you can't get new plates or registration without paying up. That isn't the case for out of jurisdiction fines. Additionally out of country collection is much more difficult. The worst is some collection agency could try to impact your credit rating for non payment. if that's any area of concern.

A word though is if you have demerits, and if that's a concern, and the US ticket sets you over a limit you will pay more for insurance and your insurer will know about it. But you are not forced to pay the fine. It goes to collections, and a possible report on your credit rating for non collection. Myself I could care less about the latter. Credit rating is uber solid and I never need it anyway.
How can you sleep at night! Seriously, they gave my girlfriend tickets because she was caught speeding. They were 6bucks apiece. I paid them because it was my car and the incentive was direct.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
As we can see there are some who are in positions of privledge currently where grass cutting is still something they can remain focused on. They are fortunate. That is not the case for a much higher percentage of people currently
Positions of privilege? Good grief. I’m firmly against the notion that people who have worked long and hard for what they have need to be dismissed with nonsensical rhetoric like this. Some folks want the city to cut the damn grass. It’s what they pay taxes for. It’s not hard to understand and doesn’t require a Marxist monologue on your part.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Positions of privilege? Good grief. I’m firmly against the notion that people who have worked long and hard for what they have need to be dismissed with nonsensical rhetoric like this. Some folks want the city to cut the damn grass. It’s what they pay taxes for. It’s not hard to understand and doesn’t require a Marxist monologue on your part.
It is a privilege to cut your lawn. People pay a lot of money for that privilege. I don’t mind cutting for the city either. Least they could do was organize it. Doing yard work is keeping people sane and providing the exercise they need. No expensive fitness Center’s required.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Meh. Depends what you consider privilege or not.

Generally inherent in privilige is the idea that you dont even know you have it. There is such a vast array of experiences that I am unaware of due to my own privilige in life. I find the people I respect the most in this world do not react poorly to the concept of their own privilige, but rather use it as a chance to learn and grow as individuals. covid19 has shone a brighter light on the privilge many of us have and how we react to that is up to us.

Reactions: Dorian2

Bangers

May 31, 2006

This reminds me of the famous story of Bernie Nicholls leaving Edmonton when he was traded.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
none of these tickets will be paid as they are out of jurisdiction. There would simply be no necessity for the Americans to pay these Canadian fines. They should ding people out of pocket, make them pay in cash immediately, from an ATM if necessary. ;) or have immediate court to fine, sentence, and require payment in full.

Or texas boot their vehicles for 10 day and enforce quarantine. Make them prepay 10 days accommodation and insure they do it. They want to leave, they leave without their vehicle.

Well my first idea was physically dragging them back to the border, but I guess we can do fines instead.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
">June 21, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thanks Dorian2. Now I get it. I must learn what slurs are acceptable and which are not.

This is the problem with the world today. Dont do this or that or say this or that because it is offensive/racist/whatever. But I can say this, that and that and its all good (double standard/hypocrisy). MLK had the right philosophy, he didnt want anyone treated differently because of their race, skin color, etc. Now we see people that are racist but apparently they feel that its fine because they have been treated poorly by racists. Stopping the cycle = everyone stop being racist, not only one race. Hate groups will have a field day recruiting people based on this kind of crap. If you are black and hate Latinos, Asians, Whites, Jews, whatever, then you are also racist. It is no better or worse than a white KKK idiot being racist towards any group. Its all BS and all bad. Until the rest of the world starts calling this for what it is it will just separate people more and more.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

Yep. Home ownership, that part, is a priv. But doing the modicum of care, cutting lawns to help others avoid allergies or worse from noxious weeds, or shovelling the snow so that handicapped people or infirm in wheelchairs can pass isn't privilege. Its a modicum of human decency and consideration of others. Those that DON"T do the basics of home ownership are the aholes.

Its hilarious that somebody else in the thread tried to position on the side of common decency while being completely oblivious that not cutting noxious weeds, and not shoveling snow causes harm, danger, illness, even injury to others. Person never gave it a moments thought I guess.

I live in a city that doesn't prioritize minimizing allergens during a pandemic. how stupid is that. Of course I guess the foreheads on council have never heard of allergies, asthma, respiratory condition, hayfever etc. and what all their fallow fields are creating.

The pollen from the dandelions is so thick here its flying like snow. for 3 mths I managed to avoid touching my face. Now my face feels like its non stop itchy, feels like hives, sometimes feels like its burning, and the pollen keeps flying. Don't touch your face they say. Try not doing that with allergic reactions.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I live in a city that doesn't prioritize minimizing allergens during a pandemic. how stupid is that. Of course I guess the foreheads on council have never heard of allergies, asthma, respiratory condition, hayfever etc. and what all their fallow fields are creating.

This is common sense. Allergies lead to touching your nose, eyes and face frequently. That is something that should be avoided at all costs right now.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
This is common sense. Allergies lead to touching your nose, eyes and face frequently. That is something that should be avoided at all costs right now.

Thank you and thank you. It isn't complicated. For the last 3 days I want to sand my face with sandpaper. That's how itchy it feels. Try not touching. I don't want to touch my face, its so itchy I want to rip it off. People that don't have any allergies may not have any awareness of the effects. Mom had hayfever, respiratory constriction, coughing, hacking when her allergies were acting up. She was so sick she'd be bedridden just from the hayfever allergens.

Most people know stuff like this, or have an awareness of stuff like this. Mowing down that noxious weed crop you're growing helps everybody. Cutting down that snowing poplar tree helps everybody. Shoveling snow helps everybody.

I'm going out to shovel the pollen and get killed by the mosquitoes the city isn't spraying. Wish me luck.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Thank you and thank you. It isn't complicated. For the last 3 days I want to sand my face with sandpaper. That's how itchy it feels. Try not touching. I don't want to touch my face, its so itchy I want to rip it off. People that don't have any allergies may not have any awareness of the effects. Mom had hayfever, respiratory constriction, coughing, hacking when her allergies were acting up. She was so sick she'd be bedridden just from the hayfever allergens.

Most people know stuff like this, or have an awareness of stuff like this. Mowing down that noxious weed crop you're growing helps everybody. Cutting down that snowing poplar tree helps everybody. Shoveling snow helps everybody.

I'm going out to shovel the pollen. Wish me luck.

My whole family has allergies, I grew up not taking anything for it. Now I know what it is and what triggers it and take the appropriate medicine for it. It sucks and it definitely adds to an already PITA time with mask use, trying at all costs not to tough your face, mask, etc. without clean hands.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Don't sand your face!!! I just spent the last week pounding down sand in my "privileged back yard" to reseat an exposed aggregate slab and some stone blocks that had to be reset. Been washing my hands with cream and playing guitar with bandages ffs. o_O

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

Yes, in a perfect non-covid19 world with no pressure on internal budgets and lots of staff running around, mowing this stuff would be a no-brainer. Now the math on what things get done is pretty messy.

For many people they need to know the city is going to pull water from a rock to make sure they can get to work on time via public transit, or will have a functional fire department that can keep them safe. Keeping the dandelions trimmed is not anywhere near their radar. Just different perspectives.

Now, all of that said, I don't have any allergies, so I suppose one could say I am privileged in that way as well!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
My whole family has allergies, I grew up not taking anything for it. Now I know what it is and what triggers it and take the appropriate medicine for it. It sucks and it definitely adds to an already PITA time with mask use, trying at all costs not to tough your face, mask, etc. without clean hands.

I tried a couple over the counter things and had a worse reaction than the allergy. Tachycardia. Freaked me out and stopped taking medication immediately. Happened with two different anti-allergy brands.

Whats working for you?

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Are we actually arguing about cutting grass?

I'd say it's the dog days of summer, but hockey season hasn't even ended yet. :sarcasm:

Don't worry, winter will be here soon enough and we can argue about plowing roads and whether "real men" need to use winter tires or not.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Don't sand your face!!! I just spent the last week pounding down sand in my "privileged back yard" to reseat an exposed aggregate slab and some stone blocks that had to be reset. Been washing my hands with cream and playing guitar with bandages ffs. o_O

The exposed aggregate slab and stone blocks has probably been pushed up by the roots of an entitled and privileged tree. Hopefully its your privileged tree in which case you can deal with the tree and roots and not a neighbors tree in which case you can't. Even complete 5-6 inch pour slab driveways can buckle with tree roots. Our garage is having that, among other probs.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I tried a couple over the counter things and had a worse reaction than the allergy. Tachycardia. Freaked me out and stopped taking medication immediately. Happened with two different anti-allergy brands.

Whats working for you?

I use loratadine for bad allergies, typically I take it at night as it can make you drowsy. I also use a fluticasone allergy spray. You can use both together. Loratadine is dirt cheap at costco, $10 for like 300 or more pills. You can only take 1 per 24 hours. My wife and kids use Nasacort allergy spray which is also sold at costco here. My wife seems to have the worst reaction to loratadine of all of us (drowsiness).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad