OT: Coronavirus XVI: Hey Covid-19, Piss Off Already

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Yep. The same city, and even same city council will spend hours, weeks, days discussing whether Gateway looks inviting enough. What impression people will get driving into the city. The same City has art installations (expensive) to beautify freeways and roads. The same city plants ample flower beds and tree beds and then watches them die and dry. Same City approves taxpayer money be spend on one of the highest priced arenas in the world. Same city spends amply beautifying some segments of LRT and expanding LRT. The same city has spent the last 2 decades building extremely expensive Rec Centers across the city, An extremely expensive new Police headquarters, extremely expensive "world class" new bridge. New downtown library that is an eyesore. Once more also extensively retrofitting City Hall frontage. All supposedly in the name of prettying up the pig.

Like it or not people, humans, to some extent judge books by cover and really the first thing somebody would notice in front of a newly occupied mansion or swanky new house is that the weeds and grass are over one foot high. The incongruence being spending on copiously expensive artifice and then not even being able to afford a lawnmower to cut the grass. If you don't comprehend this you aren't a homeowner in a neighborhood. The first thing neighbors will suss out of a new resident is do you have enough decency to cut your grass and weeds. Its considered to be the base aspect of neighborhood cooperation, its the first thing people will notice. In the winter its whether you bother to shovel your sidewalk and the front sidewalk. These are two primary things that influence what neighbors surmise about you in suburbia. Trite, specious, whatever, these perceptions are real and commonplace.

In anycase what people are complaining about is the inanity of City spending and priority. The same City still has its hand out all the time saying its not getting enough coin. Whenever it gets it it throws the money away on one *signature* vanity project after another. To the extent that it has no funds to fix potholes or cut grass or water vanity boulevards of city planted trees and plants and borders that are dying all over the city.

Even at Muttart Conservatory right now (closed for extensive renovations, its what is done in this city) flower beds in back of the place are all dying and haven't been watered, treated. Theres extensive perennial beds there, ironically next to the cities plant conservatory, that are dying from uncare. But its OK I guess. The City will rip out all those dead perennials that just need a modicum of care and that have existed for decades and just replace them with something more exotic, more expensive, that the city won't look after..

The city is being that bad neighbor right now.

Hey atleast the "art" on the whitemud has balls and not a big blue, gaping glory hole like another city we know

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
That’s the beauty of the board. We can disagree respectfully and we are all entitled to be wrong sometimes. I’m not going to go long winded on a reply to your post because I think you largely address a different point than the one I was trying to make.

Everyone is of course welcome to take the ‘flu shot’ if they feel like doing so every year in the hope that the medical community has guessed right. My point was that if you need a new shot year after year, and the shot isn’t even close to guaranteed immunity, then it really isn’t a ‘vaccine’ as the word has been commonly used in our lifetimes, is it?

My secondary point was that people placing their hope in a covid vaccine are probably in for a disappointment. It’s not going to come out anytime soon and when it does it isn’t likely to be any more accurate than the ‘flu shots’ currently available. We’d be better off continuing with the smarter social interaction, hand washing and masks. But hey, if you like the 30-40% odds you mention (no idea if those are accurate numbers or not) it’s none of my business.
I think this current pandemic will follow history. It will eventually herd infect, and then "die out"without a cure or vaccine, just like the Spanish flu did about a hundred years ago.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
One of the worst decisions by any city council in recent years or during a pandemic. The COE playing 700bucks rebate on an ebike purchase. FFS during a time of social distancing these fast moving vehicles are nearly mowing people down on sidewalks, trails as these f***ers see how fast they can go. The City in effect paying for grievous danger, injury. My wife got run over last year by a bike. At full speed people don't realize what kind of serious injuries, even death, that can incur. Bike slammed right into her from behind. It was a teen.

The city essentially is paying to further a hazardous problem on our sidewalks and trails. Its absolutely endemic now how cyclists are on sidewalks. Theres whole generations, new cyclsists, families that are always riding on sidewalks right now, they won't cycle on the roads where they are supposed to be.

Finally, why the f*** an ebike? Pedal energy is free.
Right up there with the Mayor's idiotic decision to make transit free when COVID hit, and then start whining 2 months later that they had no money for transit, and was considering cutting it off unless the other levels of government gave him more money.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Ruth Chris. They openly advertised "we only use primecut USDA" for decades. Charging people 50bucks a slab for it, ala carte. People line up to go to the place. I've never gone out of principle. But beign what I'm like I have gone in there a couple times and said wheres the prime Alberta beef on the menu, and walked out going pffffttt.

But people keep talking it up as the top steak place in the city. Its an abomination imo.

But Earls should know better being a local chain.
We have eaten at Ruth's Chris once, a long time ago. After hearing reports from our friend as to how it was their "go to" steak place, we had high expectations. Extremely underwhelming and the price was shocking. As you guys said, we can all do way better for far less throwing a couple on our own barby. I have no idea how they stay in business.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Ditto. I literally turned most of my backyard into a garden because I’m feeling a tad food insecure. Start a new job tomorrow and am incredibly grateful for the chance to catch up on the every bill I owe.
You should be building a bunker as well. The U.S and China aren't very friendly these days, and then there's North Korea.....

Reactions: AM

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
My wife really wants to start going back to restos. I think its too early, risk is still too great. You keep hearing about staff or customers in places that have tested positive and it only takes one person in food prep to infect a whole lot of others. It just seems a mode right now that can't work. That won't work right now.

We were even going to suck it up and specifically try going to Earls Tin Palace. Not because we love the place or food but because they have a HUGE outdoor patio with spacing and aren't all that busy. Seemed like a relatively safer place to eat. No way I would sit inside a resto during a pandemic. I guess that idea has been shotdown with the news right now and the closures.

This aspect is unfortunate, but its related. The food and bar industry contains a lot of workers that drink a fair amount or take drugs (a lot of people do while younger, I'm not making any judgement) but how many come into work hungover, dried out, feeling under the weather. The dynamic difficulty is that during a pandemic if you are abusing alcohol, substances, you can't really tell how you are feeling, if you are feeling well, or like hell, or whether that headache is one big hangover or something else.

I'm stating this because to wit the one staffer at Earls came in not knowing they were sick, and yet an hour later sent home because reported being sick. I dunno. I think its just hard to tell when you use substances if your're feeling up to par for a shift or not. Would make it harder to notice initial signs of some illness coming on. Really the resto bar industry is contra prepared to really be effective in self reporting illness onset. How does one differentiate from Coronavirus headache to hangover headache? These are obvious questions that impact that industry.

The article mentions taking the temp of staffers coming in. As if that's effective at all. Its window dressing that doesn't catch anything. For sure it doesn't catch asymptomatic. Another lol thing is these faceshields. Without a mask what do they do? For sure they don't prevent aerosol coughs or sneezes from landing right on your plate or on your face. Their window dressing. Meant to placate the sense of "we're doing something here"

Reality is you can have every server with a hand sanitizer sticking out of each pocket/holster and it doesn't shoot the virus... Only staying away stops the virus. Sad but true.

We went out for a nice Fathers Day supper this weekend. Eight of us, including a couple seniors in their 80's, so picked a place with a private dining room. Definitely the way to go if you are worried about sitting by other people.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
You should be building a bunker as well. The U.S and China aren't very friendly these days, and then there's North Korea.....
A guy is unemployed so he plants a garden to reduce food costs and you tell him to build a bunker?

The guy is doing everything he can to survive and you mock him for it. Great job.

Reactions: KYams17

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
We went out for a nice Fathers Day supper this weekend. Eight of us, including a couple seniors in their 80's, so picked a place with a private dining room. Definitely the way to go if you are worried about sitting by other people.

Doesn't safeguard anything if the server, chef, or kitchen support staff, any of them happen to have Covid-19. Which has now been the case in several establishments in the city. Its still hit and miss. Asstated I worry at least as much as the Resto staff having it, as other customers having it.

At least at home I can nuke anything, over cook anything, wash any food that I feel potentially could have been sneezed at. In a resto you never know.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Doesn't safeguard anything if the server, chef, or kitchen support staff, any of them happen to have Covid-19. Which has now been the case in several establishments in the city. Its still hit and miss. Asstated I worry at least as much as the Resto staff having it, as other customers having it.

At least at home I can nuke anything, over cook anything, wash any food that I feel potentially could have been sneezed at. In a resto you never know.

For me it comes down to mitigating risk best as I can, but still living my life. I enjoy going to restaurants, so will choose ones that at least offer me a bit more piece of mind. I realize there is some risk in going out, but willing to take that on occasion. Plus in our area there are no active cases, so that helps.

awesomo

Sep 12, 2007
location, location
Servers and cooks need to wear masks so i dont think itll be too bad. According to the Journal this happened last week and so these places should be opening back up today.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
For me it comes down to mitigating risk best as I can, but still living my life. I enjoy going to restaurants, so will choose ones that at least offer me a bit more piece of mind. I realize there is some risk in going out, but willing to take that on occasion. Plus in our area there are no active cases, so that helps.

I hear ya. But theres 70 confirmed cases in Millwoods alone right now. So a different look here. Month ago there were 12 cases in all of Millwoods. Its an appreciable increase. 6X as many. If that exponential increase continues its a reason for worry.

Bottom line is I enjoy health more than anything else. Other stuff is unimportant to me. I only go out for the wife at the best of times. I prefer my own cooking to Resto food and I can manage the gluten free more carefully. Being Celiac I compromise my health eating out through cross contamination, almost anytime. But its a price of being married. Wives like to go out.

Last edited:

Bangers

May 31, 2006
We have eaten at Ruth's Chris once, a long time ago. After hearing reports from our friend as to how it was their "go to" steak place, we had high expectations. Extremely underwhelming and the price was shocking. As you guys said, we can all do way better for far less throwing a couple on our own barby. I have no idea how they stay in business.

I went to Ruth's Chris once (not in Edmonton) and I completely agree. Granted, I haven't been in Edmonton in ages, but I have literally never had a better steak in a restaurant in Edmonton than I have had from buying beef from family friends or local butchers and throwing it on the BBQ - this includes places like the Keg and the Sawmill.

The only places I've ever been where the restaurants served a steak that was demonstrably better than what you could buy from an Edmonton butcher (back in the day) are Kobe and Buenos Aires.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I hear ya. But theres 70 confirmed cases in Millwoods alone right now. So a different look here. Month ago there were 12 cases in all of Millwoods. Its an appreciable increase. 6X as many. If that exponential increase continues its a reason for worry.

Bottom line is I enjoy health more than anything else. Other stuff is unimportant to me. I only go out for the wife at the best of times. I prefer my own cooking to Resto food and I can manage the gluten free more carefully. Being Celiac I compromise my health eating out through cross contamination, almost anytime. But its a price of being married. Wives like to go out.
I'm not overly surprised. I live in Mill Woods and there isn't a lot of social distancing amongst the elders. I mentioned to a friend about a month ago that I'm surprised they hadn't had worse numbers.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I'm not overly surprised. I live in Mill Woods and there isn't a lot of social distancing amongst the elders. I mentioned to a friend about a month ago that I'm surprised they hadn't had worse numbers.

Multiple parties with large amounts of people occurring any weekend. We also had the "parents are gone" block party of 100 bangers showing up to have an out of control till 4am party complete with police response. Wouldn't feel home without it...

Yeah, theres negligible adherence to anything right now. I still see some people wearing masks going shopping, and we are, but not nearly as many people are. All those blue masks the province was giving away for free. you hardly see them.

Like I said though humans don't respond well to invisible dangers. We're not hardwired for that.

The funny thing is the same people that say its just too much work wearing a mask, its too inconvenient, too uncomfortable spend 2hrs on their face and hair and wear stilettos and uncomfortable bras and bring a kitchen sink of items everywhere in their purse.. but its too hard to bring or wear a mask during a pandemic..

if somebody designed a mask that fit into a lipstick case, in all kinds of gloss colors, then maybe they'd wear it.

I went sexist. I did that.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Multiple parties with large amounts of people occurring any weekend. We also had the "parents are gone" block party of 100 bangers showing up to have an out of control till 4am party complete with police response. Wouldn't feel home without it...

Yeah, theres negligible adherence to anything right now. I still see some people wearing masks going shopping, and we are, but not nearly as many people are. All those blue masks the province was giving away for free. you hardly see them.

Like I said though humans don't respond well to invisible dangers. We're not hardwired for that.

The funny thing is the same people that say its just too much work wearing a mask, its too inconvenient, too uncomfortable spend 2hrs on their face and hair and wear stilettos and uncomfortable bras and bring a kitchen sink of items everywhere in their purse.. but its too hard to bring or wear a mask during a pandemic..

if somebody designed a mask that fit into a lipstick case, in all kinds of gloss colors, then maybe they'd wear it.

I went sexist. I did that.
I think the odds of getting it while shopping without a mask it's quite slim to be honest. Our numbers were dropping for the longest time when grocery stores were really the only thing open.

I think these gatherings where people are just dumb is causing it.

That and apparently there were a bunch transmitted at two funerals. Probably people shaking hands and such.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
This. Had to pick up stuff from a store and stupid idiots galore, especially at the cash register. Not going to wear a mask? Fine but at least stay 6ft away/stand on the store implemented social distance marker. f***ing idiots.
I don’t wear a mask...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad