OT: Coronavirus XVI: Hey Covid-19, Piss Off Already

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
DCup hunting
One of the worst decisions by any city council in recent years or during a pandemic. The COE playing 700bucks rebate on an ebike purchase. FFS during a time of social distancing these fast moving vehicles are nearly mowing people down on sidewalks, trails as these f***ers see how fast they can go. The City in effect paying for grievous danger, injury. My wife got run over last year by a bike. At full speed people don't realize what kind of serious injuries, even death, that can incur. Bike slammed right into her from behind. It was a teen.

The city essentially is paying to further a hazardous problem on our sidewalks and trails. Its absolutely endemic now how cyclists are on sidewalks. Theres whole generations, new cyclsists, families that are always riding on sidewalks right now, they won't cycle on the roads where they are supposed to be.

Finally, why the f*** an ebike? Pedal energy is free.

Last edited:

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
One of the worst decisions by any city council in recent years or during a pandemic. The COE playing 700bucks rebate on an ebike purchase. FFS during a time of social distancing these fast moving vehicles are nearly mowing people down on sidewalks, trails as these f***ers see how fast they can go. The City in effect paying for grievous danger, injury. My wife got run over last year by a bike. At full speed people don't realize what kind of serious injuries, even death, that can incur. Bike slammed right into her from behind. It was a teen.

The city essentially is paying to further a hazardous problem on our sidewalks and trails. Its absolutely endemic now how my cyclists are on sidewalks. Theres whole generations, new cyclsists, families that are always riding on sidewalks right now, they won't cycle on the roads where they are supposed to be.

Political payoff to their base. Don’t people who can afford a $2500 bike deserve a $700 handout from the government?

Last edited:

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
A little OT. A few years ago there was a guy in our old cul de sac that had a CAT that he'd use to move the snow into a mound that ended up being like a ring road. It was great. All the neighbors loved the fact he did it for us. City caught wind and put a stop to it immediatly citing that the sub contractors hired by the city were to remove the snow. You can fill in the rest of the story... lol
The workers might go on strike from their regular work to get that work back....o_O

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Actually, it is an essential service, don't be ridiculous. We're not in a war zone. You can't just let it grow uncontrolled for the entire year. But you probably don't see because you've likely been isolating for the last 3 months.
Nah man, I've been out lots. It's not hard to go out and follow the current guidelines, but judging by the outbreak in Edmonton maybe it is hard for some...

Bangers

May 31, 2006

The city essentially is paying to further a hazardous problem on our sidewalks and trails. Its absolutely endemic now how cyclists are on sidewalks. Theres whole generations, new cyclsists, families that are always riding on sidewalks right now, they won't cycle on the roads where they are supposed to be.

Are you having an old man shakes cane while telling kids to get off his lawn moment? :P

Reactions: Drivesaitl

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
First world problems.:) I think the other two larger items have been analyzed and beaten to death, don't you? The depressedeconomy and COVID simply aren't focused on enough, and we should just forget everything else out there. Might as well let all the roads and buildings crumple too.
I think crumbling infrastructure and overgrown foliage hold different importance but perhaps I need to audit my priorities and get to that upset about my lawn state of privileged reality. Frankly, it’s about time I started acting my age.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
If we lived in a much more affluent time I'd worry more about the weeds and grass. Right now I'm more worried about my neighbours needing to use the food bank.

Reactions: KingKhron

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
If we lived in a much more affluent time I'd worry more about the weeds and grass. Right now I'm more worried about my neighbours needing to use the food bank.
Ditto. I literally turned most of my backyard into a garden because I’m feeling a tad food insecure. Start a new job tomorrow and am incredibly grateful for the chance to catch up on the every bill I owe.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Ditto. I literally turned most of my backyard into a garden because I’m feeling a tad food insecure. Start a new job tomorrow and am incredibly grateful for the chance to catch up on the every bill I owe.

Congrats! Hope the job treats you well!

Reactions: KingKhron

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Lots of people working jobs that aren’t critically necessary have been laid off during the pandemic. That’s why we have CERB.

He was worried his neighbour was going to need to use the food bank. Might be a grass cutter that needs to access that.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
DCup hunting
Actually, it is an essential service, don't be ridiculous. We're not in a war zone. You can't just let it grow uncontrolled for the entire year. But you probably don't see because you've likely been isolating for the last 3 months.

Yep. The same city, and even same city council will spend hours, weeks, days discussing whether Gateway looks inviting enough. What impression people will get driving into the city. The same City has art installations (expensive) to beautify freeways and roads. The same city plants ample flower beds and tree beds and then watches them die and dry. Same City approves taxpayer money be spend on one of the highest priced arenas in the world. Same city spends amply beautifying some segments of LRT and expanding LRT. The same city has spent the last 2 decades building extremely expensive Rec Centers across the city, An extremely expensive new Police headquarters, extremely expensive "world class" new bridge. New downtown library that is an eyesore. Once more also extensively retrofitting City Hall frontage. All supposedly in the name of prettying up the pig.

Like it or not people, humans, to some extent judge books by cover and really the first thing somebody would notice in front of a newly occupied mansion or swanky new house is that the weeds and grass are over one foot high. The incongruence being spending on copiously expensive artifice and then not even being able to afford a lawnmower to cut the grass. If you don't comprehend this you aren't a homeowner in a neighborhood. The first thing neighbors will suss out of a new resident is do you have enough decency to cut your grass and weeds. Its considered to be the base aspect of neighborhood cooperation, its the first thing people will notice. In the winter its whether you bother to shovel your sidewalk and the front sidewalk. These are two primary things that influence what neighbors surmise about you in suburbia. Trite, specious, whatever, these perceptions are real and commonplace.

In anycase what people are complaining about is the inanity of City spending and priority. The same City still has its hand out all the time saying its not getting enough coin. Whenever it gets it it throws the money away on one *signature* vanity project after another. To the extent that it has no funds to fix potholes or cut grass or water vanity boulevards of city planted trees and plants and borders that are dying all over the city.

Even at Muttart Conservatory right now (closed for extensive renovations, its what is done in this city) flower beds in back of the place are all dying and haven't been watered, treated. Theres extensive perennial beds there, ironically next to the cities plant conservatory, that are dying from uncare. But its OK I guess. The City will rip out all those dead perennials that just need a modicum of care and that have existed for decades and just replace them with something more exotic, more expensive, that the city won't look after..

The city is being that bad neighbor right now.

Reactions: bellagiobob

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
They are cutting every three weeks. Want to complain about grass cutting. Complain about the highways where they cut it even less and animals jump out of the grass in front of you and you can't see them as the grass is 3-4 feet high

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
They lost my business a few years ago when they decided to not use Alberta beef, and the owner basically joked about it. Pissed off a lot of people.
Pretty much the same for me. Even though I rarely ordered beef from there anyway.

Want to piss off an Albertan source your beef from somewhere other than Alberta

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
DCup hunting

My wife really wants to start going back to restos. I think its too early, risk is still too great. You keep hearing about staff or customers in places that have tested positive and it only takes one person in food prep to infect a whole lot of others. It just seems a mode right now that can't work. That won't work right now.

We were even going to suck it up and specifically try going to Earls Tin Palace. Not because we love the place or food but because they have a HUGE outdoor patio with spacing and aren't all that busy. Seemed like a relatively safer place to eat. No way I would sit inside a resto during a pandemic. I guess that idea has been shotdown with the news right now and the closures.

This aspect is unfortunate, but its related. The food and bar industry contains a lot of workers that drink a fair amount or take drugs (a lot of people do while younger, I'm not making any judgement) but how many come into work hungover, dried out, feeling under the weather. The dynamic difficulty is that during a pandemic if you are abusing alcohol, substances, you can't really tell how you are feeling, if you are feeling well, or like hell, or whether that headache is one big hangover or something else.

I'm stating this because to wit the one staffer at Earls came in not knowing they were sick, and yet an hour later sent home because reported being sick. I dunno. I think its just hard to tell when you use substances if your're feeling up to par for a shift or not. Would make it harder to notice initial signs of some illness coming on. Really the resto bar industry is contra prepared to really be effective in self reporting illness onset. How does one differentiate from Coronavirus headache to hangover headache? These are obvious questions that impact that industry.

The article mentions taking the temp of staffers coming in. As if that's effective at all. Its window dressing that doesn't catch anything. For sure it doesn't catch asymptomatic. Another lol thing is these faceshields. Without a mask what do they do? For sure they don't prevent aerosol coughs or sneezes from landing right on your plate or on your face. Their window dressing. Meant to placate the sense of "we're doing something here"

Reality is you can have every server with a hand sanitizer sticking out of each pocket/holster and it doesn't shoot the virus... Only staying away stops the virus. Sad but true.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
DCup hunting
Pretty much the same for me. Even though I rarely ordered beef from there anyway.

Want to piss off an Albertan source your beef from somewhere other than Alberta

Ruth Chris. They openly advertised "we only use primecut USDA" for decades. Charging people 50bucks a slab for it, ala carte. People line up to go to the place. I've never gone out of principle. But beign what I'm like I have gone in there a couple times and said wheres the prime Alberta beef on the menu, and walked out going pffffttt.

But people keep talking it up as the top steak place in the city. Its an abomination imo.

But Earls should know better being a local chain.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Ruth Chris. They openly advertised "we only use primecut USDA" for decades. Charging people 50bucks a slab for it, ala carte. People line up to go to the place. I've never gone out of principle. But beign what I'm like I have gone in there a couple times and said wheres the prime Alberta beef on the menu, and walked out going pffffttt.

But people keep talking it up as the top steak place in the city. Its an abomination imo.

But Earls should know better being a local chain.
I can't justify spending $50 on a steak. Will never be satisfied at that dollar amount. Can do it a lot cheaper and better

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
DCup hunting
They are cutting every three weeks. Want to complain about grass cutting. Complain about the highways where they cut it even less and animals jump out of the grass in front of you and you can't see them as the grass is 3-4 feet high

They are spot cutting. 1 block away from us are a series of connected school fields. Know what they've done? They spot cut the sports fields leaving the perimeter of grass and weeds uncut. It hasn't been cut once all year. We would know as we walk by daily. The kids kick the ball somewhere and the game is try to find the ball in 18inches of growth and while being molested and taken down by hordes of mosquitoes. Good thing its not wasp season yet or thats a real problem. Some wasp species build nests in ground in unkept shaded areas.

The city is not cutting whole fields. They are leaving the vast majority fallow and have not cut the vast majority of field space once. It takes months for growth to get 18inches high. It means it was never cut.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
DCup hunting
I can't justify spending $50 on a steak. Will never be satisfied at that dollar amount. Can do it a lot cheaper and better

The lol it its only for the steak. Want a potato throw another 8bucks down. Want some veggies, throw another 7 bucks down. Want a bun, throw us 5 bucks. 15 bucks for a tossed salad. The 50bucks is just the Texas steak.

Yep. I could get prime cut family packs for that and feed a dozen people a quality steak dinner.

If I brought 4 people in the family to Ruth Chris that would be the price of buying a new premium Barbecue.

Rather buy the Barbeque.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Was out and about a lot this weekend, and my general impression from viewing others actions was ‘virus, what virus?’

This. Had to pick up stuff from a store and stupid idiots galore, especially at the cash register. Not going to wear a mask? Fine but at least stay 6ft away/stand on the store implemented social distance marker. f***ing idiots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad