Confirmed with Link: Corey Perry on waivers for purpose of contract termination (mod warning: no direct speculation at this time)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Would this team be in a better place going forward signing Toews (who probably won’t play again) and Kane for an additional 3-4 years? I am not entirely convinced.

Both sides moved on. I guess if you believe Danny wanted them to be re-signed and ceded to Kyle and takes this as his GM going against his original correct wishes, maybe your take is realistic? Lots of speculation there though.
Initially it was more speculation why KD would be so visibly emotional since they said its not criminal and doesn't involve any players/family...perhaps thats not true and they don't really have incentive to share that information, but perhaps upper management is also PO'd because a guy they are paying 4x market rate to be a leader has brought them bad PR and been terminated 2 months into season, seems plausible...idk, just didn't expect KD to be that emotional when he really didn't say much and looked so visibly distraught, there has to be some level of shame/anger etc when these are his vets, he gave Perry an absolute gift with that contract and he f***ed him over

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Initially it was more speculation why KD would be so visibly emotional since they said its not criminal and doesn't involve any players/family...perhaps thats not true and they don't really have incentive to share that information, but perhaps upper management is also PO'd because a guy they are paying 4x market rate to be a leader has brought them bad PR and been terminated 2 months into season, seems plausible...idk, just didn't expect KD to be that emotional when he really didn't say much and looked so visibly distraught, there has to be some level of shame/anger etc when these are his vets, he gave Perry an absolute gift with that contract and he f***ed him over

Could be distraught if it was something like feeding 18-19 year olds booze and drugs at a hotel on a road trip when he's supposed to be a leader? Dunno. Honestly, the drug/booze angle seems like the most plausible scenario in my mind, but no way to really know unless one side or the other eventually divulges it. I just think it's the most fitting, considering he was brought in to be a leader and mentor to these kids.

Not trying to speculate or say that's what happened. Just discussing what kind of scenarios would fit in with what is happening right now. That one makes the most sense. Especially when you take into account how f***ing awful the team was in Columbus.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

Angry, embarrassed... He knew all about the rumors in regards to Perry and Bedard's mom, and that's when he seemed to get emotional. Could be plenty of reasons.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC

Honestly, if the words "players' families" was surgically chosen it might be close to That Rumour but involving a wife of management / coaching / other staff. Depending on how close it hit to home that could explain KD's ashen face.

Until they clarify things that process of elimination will lead to these kinds of assumptions.
one important thing to probably note, KD said explicitly no player or family involvement but no commented the staff question, so...

Exactly.

Reactions: Muffinalt

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
If they wanted to dispel ugly rumours have to think. the team (and Perry) would have revealed , at least vague details , of incident.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
If they wanted to dispel ugly rumours have to think. the team (and Perry) would have revealed , at least vague details , of incident.

Not if they can't, legally. Also... not if it was agreed upon by both parties that they wouldn't.

Just because the public wants juicy details of stuff, doesn't mean they're entitled to them.

I'll never understand the entitlement some people have. They think they're important enough to know everything.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
When someone does something that warrants this type of action in other professional sports its made public. The NHL is so secretive with everything, I’m not sure why it’s different. i just don’t see keeping it secret as helping the situation, speculation is likely worse.

I always thought Perry was a major ass and couldn’t stand him, when he was brought in initially it turned my stomach. His play this season started to turn me, I actually started to like him. Shame on me, now I can go back to my original opinion. And there was nothing in his past that made you think something like this would occur, this in no way reflects on Davidson.

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
If the Hawks could've said what it was and not screwed over someone (likely an employee's) privacy, they would have.

This isn't a situation they are sweeping under the rug. If they wanted to go that route, they would've kept him on the team and nobody would be the wiser until (maybe) a decade or so later.

They have nothing to gain from keeping things quiet outside of being respectful to the individuals involved and/or for legal reasons.

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
Bud I don't get what your issue is. You can only sign players based on the information you have. You can't predict the future and you can't ensure everyone conducts themselves in the way you want/hope.

Perry was a good signing at the time. Lucic, for similar reasons, would have been a good signing. If someone steps out of line, you deal with it and move on because that's all you can do.
Clearly you don't know about Lucic's history.

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
If the Hawks could've said what it was and not screwed over someone (likely an employee's) privacy, they would have.

This isn't a situation they are sweeping under the rug. If they wanted to go that route, they would've kept him on the team and nobody would be the wiser until (maybe) a decade or so later.

They have nothing to gain from keeping things quiet outside of being respectful to the individuals involved and/or for legal reasons.
They have everything to lose in not being quiet also. Sweeping something under the rug is different than handling a legal matter and not exacerbating liabilities.

Absolute foul on carcillo for talking out of his ass here. Attention whore

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
When someone does something that warrants this type of action in other professional sports its made public. The NHL is so secretive with everything, I’m not sure why it’s different. i just don’t see keeping it secret as helping the situation, speculation is likely worse.

I always thought Perry was a major ass and couldn’t stand him, when he was brought in initially it turned my stomach. His play this season started to turn me, I actually started to like him. Shame on me, now I can go back to my original opinion. And there was nothing in his past that made you think something like this would occur, this in no way reflects on Davidson.
The Bears fired 2 coaches this year for no publicly known reasons. This is not unique to the nhl. Private matters with nda like statements happen plenty in sports firing.

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
Carrillo has always been a piece of crap
Crocodile tears with the whole concussion championing and mental health advocation. I get people change, but like the guru influencer era post ~2016 it’s always the reformed mindfulness types that have the biggest egos and want nothing more than their fragile identities fellated

Reactions: Mrfenn92

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Richardson was the one who went to bat for Perry to Davidson. And now look where that got him. I won't say it's on him because Perry should know better as a player.

But I'm glad Davidson put that disgusting rumor to rest so we know it wasn't that. But man there's a couple of things going in my head that I believe it can be. But won't speculate about it.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Could be distraught if it was something like feeding 18-19 year olds booze and drugs at a hotel on a road trip when he's supposed to be a leader? Dunno. Honestly, the drug/booze angle seems like the most plausible scenario in my mind, but no way to really know unless one side or the other eventually divulges it. I just think it's the most fitting, considering he was brought in to be a leader and mentor to these kids.

Not trying to speculate or say that's what happened. Just discussing what kind of scenarios would fit in with what is happening right now. That one makes the most sense. Especially when you take into account how f***ing awful the team was in Columbus.
If Perry did this..... I honestly don't think it would be that serious. Not saying its right or legal....but how many stories are there of a parent giving their underage son a beer? Or something of this sort. It should be a slap on the wrist .... max

Drugs is a different story. Even cannabis (not sure if its allowed in the NHL). Bedard or no Bedard...as a player you can't be caught/intoxicated on drugs.

Honestly the guy has been in the league for 19 years or whatever. So there could a few things.... where he is stuck in his ways. Maybe he took initiations/hazing too far?

It must have been bad enough that the BH can't afford another potential media crisis.

We have seen players do worse but still get a 2nd chance (Evander Kane) for example. I think its 50/50 he latches on with another team. Otherwise a bad ending for a decorated nhl career.

Last edited:

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Everyone has said everything that needs to be said but…there is no way that the players don’t know what happened. Of course they know. Davidson is just doing what he should - saying the don’t so reporters don’t ask them. Not only to keep that away from the players but to prevent the players from inadvertently saying something they shouldn’t.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad