Confirmed with Link: Corey Perry on waivers for purpose of contract termination (mod warning: no direct speculation at this time)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Might be drawing too fine a line but is it possible that saying it doesn't involve any family members of any PLAYERS side-steps that maybe this includes family members of management or someone else?

Just so weird, not criminal, but fireable, players not involved, it narrows things down to something that we just fail to imagine or it's squeaking into a crack of something that got word-smithed around.
happened in the nba recently so no, its not not of the realm of possibilities

I was told it was bad. I was told people working in the organization had to sign NDAs about it. I really don't need any more information, because I've always hated Corey Perry. Eventually we might hear what happened, but the few people I have talked to that work with the Hawks all said the same thing. "It's not good at all. That's all I can say."

Davidson's comments about the players not knowing is absolutely a smokescreen, meant to prevent them being hounded with questions about it. 100%
especially when you look at the language they used the day after perry was gone basically speaking in past tense, they knew

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
- it did NOT involve any family members of any players on the team
- the players do NOT know what happened
- it is being called an 'internal matter' and is not being reported to law enforcement
- Players Association are aware of the incident
- "not able to disclose any details" due to it being an "individual personal matter"

If I missed anything, let me know and I'll add it.
that eliminates the hazing option as well.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I was told it was bad. I was told people working in the organization had to sign NDAs about it. I really don't need any more information, because I've always hated Corey Perry. Eventually we might hear what happened, but the few people I have talked to that work with the Hawks all said the same thing. "It's not good at all. That's all I can say."

Davidson's comments about the players not knowing is absolutely a smokescreen, meant to prevent them being hounded with questions about it. 100%
NDAs? yikes

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
All we know forcsurevisctgat he did nothing criminal nor did anything involving family maytersvorvaffectingbotgervpjayers families.. Thayvisxall KD revealed exceotvtgatvthecNHL's Player Assistance Program is aware of the situation (but in that program no player loses his contract ...they help him to overcome some addiction or mental issues)..

So we are mystified as to what he did thatvmeritscacdismossal viacwaivers.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
they're paying 4x market rate for a player that presumably danny asked why and Davidson said leadership etc, so there has to be that dynamic there, brand takes a hit yet again and it's Davidson who is ultimately responsible for vetting these players...he's done a good job as GM, just saying that there could be that dynamic there with Danny being furious behind the scenes and you consider how emotional he was, some shame, anger, etc beyond just what happened with Perry and explaining that
Employers can't always control player behavior. Did Perry have any red flags off the ice in his long NHL career? The only complaint I remember when Perry signed was his on the ice annoyance and his guarantee.

Sometimes an organization can only control the consequences for misbehavior. The Blackhawks appears to have done that. This is not a bad thing. This appears to be an organization holding employees accountable ... even revenue generators. That should be perceived as a good thing.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Employers can't always control player behavior. Did Perry have any red flags off the ice in his long NHL career? The only complaint I remember when Perry signed was his on the ice annoyance and his guarantee.

Sometimes an organization can only control the consequences for misbehavior. The Blackhawks appears to have done that. This is not a bad thing. This appears to be an organization holding employees accountable ... even revenue generators. That should be perceived as a good thing.
never said terminating him was the wrong thing to do, just speculated why KD was so emotional like everyone else, it had a his job could be on the line for bringing this guy in feel to me but apparently not to others

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
they're paying 4x market rate for a player that presumably danny asked why and Davidson said leadership etc, so there has to be that dynamic there, brand takes a hit yet again and it's Davidson who is ultimately responsible for vetting these players...he's done a good job as GM, just saying that there could be that dynamic there with Danny being furious behind the scenes and you consider how emotional he was, some shame, anger, etc beyond just what happened with Perry and explaining that

Perry is known as a jackass on the ice, but there is zero history of issues otherwise. It's unfortunate, but it happened, and the Blackhawks are now able to show publicly that they're trying to change the culture.

I'm sure super online people will be dumb and say dumb things, but sometimes you gotta think about how people outside of HF Board will react.

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
Happy we can all go back to disliking corey perry. His time here will just be a fever dream
I don’t know how this is your takeaway. Given the tenor of the press conference and how shaken up Davidson is, there’s a very real chance that something is legitimately wrong with Perry and we should be hoping he gets the help he needs, not going back to disliking him over how he plays a game.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
How you come up with the idea that Davidson could possibly be seen to be at fault for the actions of a player he signs, when that player has an 18 year, spotless reputation off the ice, is beyond me.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
How you come up with the idea that Davidson could possibly be seen to be at fault for the actions of a player he signs, when that player has an 18 year, spotless reputation off the ice, is beyond me.
Danny just watched his dad have his legacy tarnished because of a front office failing to have the right people in the building, do you not think for a second that he could turn around and say here is the door again to people if it happens again? People have been fired for less, Perry was some fourth line bum they paid a ton of money to bring in that nobody would've paid, you better have his character vetted

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Danny just watched his dad have his legacy tarnished because of a front office failing to have the right people in the building, do you not think for a second that he could turn around and say here is the door again to people if it happens again? People have been fired for less, Perry was some fourth line bum they paid a ton of money to bring in that nobody would've paid, you better have his character vetted
18 year, spotless off ice record. That is vetting enough for every single gm in the league.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
They had to do an investigation before they could say or do anything else. How hard is that to understand?
Nah, Plenty of ways to get a word out between Friday and today that they'll get back to the pubic in a number of days without disclosing any sensitive information.

Perry's agent gets the last word, then they shut the doors and more or less said, "trust us".

Maybe works here, internally, and within segments of the fan base but that's a big ask everywhere else under the circumstances for the franchise.

Sounds like KD is saying about everything most expected to say anyway.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Nah, Plenty of ways to get a word out between Friday and today that they'll get back to the pubic in a number of days without disclosing any sensitive information.

Perry's agent gets the last word, then they shut the doors and more or less said, "trust us".

Maybe works here, internally, and within segments of the fan base but that's a big ask everywhere else under the circumstances for the franchise.

Sounds like KD is saying about everything most expected to say anyway.

Enough said.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022

I don't get what you're not getting. What would there have been to suggest that Perry wasn't a high-character player? He had just gone to the Final with 3 separate teams in 4 years. He had played for the current head coach before on a former team. He's been in the league for almost two decades. Where were the red flags? Yeah he's always been a shit on the ice but that's just part of his game.

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com

Should maybe add reasonable doubt or say something about the beach aftermath/town hall situation…

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I don't get what you're not getting. What would there have been to suggest that Perry wasn't a high-character player? He had just gone to the Final with 3 separate teams in 4 years. He had played for the current head coach before on a former team. He's been in the league for almost two decades. Where were the red flags? Yeah he's always been a shit on the ice but that's just part of his game.
its a black eye on the org to go through this type of shit again and ultimate its on davidson and hockey ops/coaching staff for players they bring in, foligno clearly good, but davidson was also interested in lucic iirc so...ya know, its his deal and he reports to danny, now danny has his team dealing with brand issues once again and his new franchise player is being entangled in it...

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Enough said.

They let the stuff creep in uncontrolled for 5 days.
All the more reason to say the legal reasons for keeping things private, regardless of the offense, up front.

They botched it by going dark.

Anyway. Glad it didn't go longer and that he's gone.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad