Value of: Connor McDavid

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which of McDavid or Draisaitl should Edmonton consider trading to balance out the team

• Total voters

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Am I really the only one who wouldn’t trade squat for either of these overpaid prima donnas? Keep them Edmonton please and lock yourself in mediocrity for their entire spoiled careers.
No defence, no team play, coach don’t tell us what to do, as long as I’m scoring screw everything else?
As long as both are in Edmonton they will go nowhere! So please stay.

You a Flames fan? If so, this post explains a lot. If you're not a Flames fan then you're delusional. Literally every team in the league would be lining up offers for the 2 best offensive players in the game.

Reactions: TFHockey

Hitemwith4

Jul 1, 2019
Is Oilers season going that bad ? That some Oiler fans want to trade McDavid or Draisaitl

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Is Oilers season going that bad ? That some Oiler fans want to trade McDavid or Draisaitl

They're in a terrible slump, and fans who were watching the Oilers hot start saw serious issues in their game from game one. They were outscoring their defensive lapses (mainly on the PP) and their goalies were at times standing on their collective heads. Koskinen and Skinner both had to be extremely sharp to secure those wins.

When they failed to score on the power play (or even get one) they could not make it up 5v5. So they started losing, and losing a lot. Most Oiler fans are not entirely surprised by this. Keep in mind COVID hit the D core so badly one game's line up had Koekoek - Broberg - Samorukov as their entire left side. So there is that, for sure.

However.

The team isn't good enough defensively, in goal consistently or as a team 5 on 5. Their bottom six is still pretty terrible again this year. That isn't a recipe for success. Yes, they'll make the playoffs but they are going to get bounced early again if changes aren't made.

The easiest change Holland can make is firing the coach. That is most probably thing that will happen as opposed to the nonsense you see on this thread or the Nurse one. Tippett relies on veterans too much. He is slow to adapt to situations in game but he isn't a bad coach overall. Just not a great one. They're likely to fire him and maybe promote Woodcroft. That will give the team a bump but it will not solve the more serious problems the Oilers have in their line up.

Trades WILL have to made.

Just not dumb ones like McDavid, Draisaitl or Nurse. Count on those three to be here long term.

Hitemwith4

Jul 1, 2019
They're in a terrible slump, and fans who were watching the Oilers hot start saw serious issues in their game from game one. They were outscoring their defensive lapses (mainly on the PP) and their goalies were at times standing on their collective heads. Koskinen and Skinner both had to be extremely sharp to secure those wins.

When they failed to score on the power play (or even get one) they could not make it up 5v5. So they started losing, and losing a lot. Most Oiler fans are not entirely surprised by this. Keep in mind COVID hit the D core so badly one game's line up had Koekoek - Broberg - Samorukov as their entire left side. So there is that, for sure.

However.

The team isn't good enough defensively, in goal consistently or as a team 5 on 5. Their bottom six is still pretty terrible again this year. That isn't a recipe for success. Yes, they'll make the playoffs but they are going to get bounced early again if changes aren't made.

The easiest change Holland can make is firing the coach. That is most probably thing that will happen as opposed to the nonsense you see on this thread or the Nurse one. Tippett relies on veterans too much. He is slow to adapt to situations in game but he isn't a bad coach overall. Just not a great one. They're likely to fire him and maybe promote Woodcroft. That will give the team a bump but it will not solve the more serious problems the Oilers have in their line up.

Trades WILL have to made.

Just not dumb ones like McDavid, Draisaitl or Nurse. Count on those three to be here long term.

Oh okay

I cant see these players being traded either, those 3 are an important part of Oilers core and signed long-term. Fans dont make good gms no matter how much some say they have the answers

Medvescak

Kid Calder
Mar 22, 2018
McDavid return would need to included at least 2 of 1D, 1G and 2C
Ok I'll play! How can you acquire the best player in the league ........
Using OPs logic and my team:
1D - pick one of Dobson / Pelech / Pulock (depends on your rating of Dobson, but he'd be my pick if I'm the Oilers - he's been on fire lately (arrived perhaps?) and is cost controlled. Although Pelech imo is just a phenomenal defender and is not too expensive, not sure how other teams rate him but he's my favourite defender on the Isles. This would be a tough one to pick.)
1G - Sorokin (if not sold on him yet, pick Varlamov)
2C - Brock Nelson / Pageau - ugh (this would most likely need to be Barzal however for Edmonton to even consider an offer)

One advantage the Isles do have is contract value of players included. Lou's done a pretty good job there.

Summary
Dobson - good and very young (21)
Barzal - already awesome and very young (24)
Soroking - awesome and young (26)

Still not enough imo

Reactions: goal1228

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Dundon likes $$$. McDavid would sell shirts and fill the building in Raleigh. Carolina has the assets:

Carolina get:

-McDavid 12,5M UFA 2026
- Tyson Barrie 4,5M UFA 2024

Edmonton get:

- Sebastian Aho 8,46M UFA 2024
- Brett Pesce 4,025M UFA 2025
- Seth Jarvis .895M RFA 2024

3,5M savings for Oilers, a 2-way 1C, a 2D and a Top6 RW. I bet the team would be better.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Dundon likes $$$. McDavid would sell shirts and fill the building in Raleigh. Carolina has the assets:

Carolina get:

-McDavid 12,5M UFA 2026

Edmonton get:

3,5M savings for Oilers, a 2-way 1C, a 2D and a Top6 RW. I bet the team would be better.

Katz likes money too, the Oilers have a $1 billion+ valuation and McDavid sells "more shirts" in a Canadian market.

Reactions: TFHockey

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Katz likes money too, the Oilers have a $1 billion+ valuation and McDavid sells "more shirts" in a Canadian market.

I get that. Without the publicity and the money Katz makes from merchandise-sales and PR, this would be a good hockey trade for Edmonton. I do think that Katz makes more money by keeping McDavid for theese reasons. If the main target would be winning the cup, I would trade him but I understand this from a business-perspective.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019

Carolina get:

-McDavid 12,5M UFA 2026

Edmonton get:

Aho and Slavin would have the Oilers thinking for sure.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Aho and Slavin would have the Oilers thinking for sure.

Your selling Jarvis a bit short. Pesce at 4m and Jarvis are nice assets. Jarvis RFA until 2024 and 22gp and 14p with +6. He will be a very good cost-controlled piece. Also, the 3,5M saving will be nice to have for Puljujärvi&Yamamoto extensions.
Doenst hurt that Aho+Pulju played for same team in Finland and both are northern boys.

Big guns

Jan 24, 2019
You a Flames fan? If so, this post explains a lot. If you're not a Flames fan then you're delusional. Literally every team in the league would be lining up offers for the 2 best offensive players in the game.

How would it change my statement if I was exactly?
yes they are offensive talents but they literally bring nothing else to the table?
leadership has been questioned?
Defence has been questioned? They come with a huge price tag that would gut your team to acquire?

These aren’t Stanley cup warriors your getting prima donnas. Talented but donnas none the less

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
How would it change my statement if I was exactly?
yes they are offensive talents but they literally bring nothing else to the table?
leadership has been questioned?
Defence has been questioned? They come with a huge price tag that would gut your team to acquire?

These aren’t Stanley cup warriors your getting prima donnas. Talented but donnas none the less

So you're delusional. Got it. Thanks for answering. Meme response incoming:
aaxqe6go_700w_0.jpg

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Most Oilers fans will not agree but I think the team would be a better team with the return McDavid trade would provide . I do not see much of a drop of from Draisaitl .

McDavid return would need to included at least 2 of 1D, 1G and 2C . All players would have to be on the younger side . We would even consider McDavid for 30+ year old players unless they are the cherry on top . On top of the above add picks and prospects .

Special mention to TML fans JT and Matthews don't cut it . Matthews would be gone quicker then Pronger and JT is over paid . Plus you don't have that number 1 D we need

I guess from the Devils based on the criteria above, it would be:

Hischier, Blackwood, Luke Hughes and Hamilton.

Our Defense takes a huge hit. We would need to somehow get a 1D via free agency ala Hamilton and to draft a similar defenseman in the 2022 draft.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
No way in hell should you trade either. I’d look at sacrificing other players before I’d consider this. Even to the point of getting negative value or “losing” other trades in order to get the roster types you need.
Use assets to move more cap and or overpay in trade to target a specific need before you even think about trading McD or Drai.

Thing is who do you try to get rid of and who you target in return?
If a #1 d stud D is needed then…. No clue how to do that unless it’s a massive overpay (if not trading McD or Drai)
Would someone like Poolpary be available or is that what you need more of ? Scoring depth? Or better D?

Last edited:

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
No way in hell should you trade either. I’d look at sacrificing other players before I’d consider this. Even to the point of getting negative value or “losing” other trades in order to get the roster types you need.
Use assets to move more cap and or overpay in trade to target a specific need before you even think about trading McD or Drai.

Just give an example. There is absolutely no other player on the team except thoose two to trade if you wanna get any value back.

Hyman NMC
RNH NMC
Keith NMC
Klefbom NTC

Nurse at 9,2M for next 8yrs is untradeable without retention. And his NMC starts in summer.

McDavid&Drai NMC kick in next summer. I`d trade McDavid for an overpayment. I`d keep Drai, as he is one of the best contracts in the league.

Big guns

Jan 24, 2019
Ok so which teams have the assets? which teams can make the payroll work? Which team can trade so little as to actually keep a winning team after the trade?
which coach has the guts to make pinsy and pansy play defence? Or structure? Or give a rats behind?

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
and what have the oilers won with them? Speaking of delusion?

The delusion is thinking that the Oilers aren't winning because of McDrai. Without those two, that team would be worse than Arizona. They're the two best offensive producers in the league going on several years. They're not the Oilers problem.

Big guns

Jan 24, 2019
The delusion is thinking that the Oilers aren't winning because of McDrai. Without those two, that team would be worse than Arizona. They're the two best offensive producers in the league going on several years. They're not the Oilers problem.

half way through McMuffins career he hadn’t even got past the first round but he isn’t part of the problem?
Gosh I hope oilers management feel the same way

mize370

Nov 2, 2009
Waterloo, Ontario
I do not get some of these offers. Is McDavid still not the best player on the planet? Meaning he must return a 1c, 1D , a starting goalie that can carry the load for years. Plus #1 draft picks of probably multiple years. I don't see any teams outside of franchises that have been horrible for years making anything attractive enough right now. I say that as the Oilers would want a chance at the number 1 pick for the next year or 2.

So giving up your #1 center, 2nd best defenceman, a 2nd or 3rd line roster player plus a late #1 seems like an easy no from me anyways.
Closest offers i see that would maybe open the door for at least a phone call back would be Colorado's with Mackinnon, Makar as starting points. No prime goalie prospects tho. too high a first rounder tho.
Flyers offer of Couturier, Provorov, Hart would have to include way more because they are not as good as MacKinnon and Makar.

Do not think there is a trade possible in the league that might make Oiler fans happy.

I dunno. Just my 2 cents anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad