Connor McDavid with 91 pts in last 84 games

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

captain cubicle

Jul 27, 2011
Ok a ready made FA might take a while but DeAngelo is always available for the right price. Hell, the highest scoring defenseman last month, Justin Schultz might be pricing himself out of Pittsburgh. His literally playing too well for his own good. (Unless he happens to like money)

I find it hard to believe Schultz would go back there after his last stint.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
If you're leading 4-1 going into the 3rd period, yes. Which is more important, putting out your best team at every second in the regular season or putting out your best team at every second in the playoffs? Because doing the first basically ensures you can't do the second, players won't be able to perform to their capabilities in the playoffs if they get driven into the ground in the regular season.

Putting your best team out every second in the regular season when your team hasn't made the playoffs in the last decade. Are Oilers fans really getting this confident already? Seasons not even half over and a couple game losing streak of being on the outside.

Call me dumb but with the pathetic nature of the Oilers over the past decade I would put my best roster out there every second even if the game 10-1 with 30 seconds left.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
you can tell a 19 year old has hit freak status when people find 91 points in 84 games just sorta impressive haha

Im so scared to see how good he will be at 25
He'll be 20 in 2 weeks.

Crosby had 102pts at 18 and 222pts three months before he turned 20.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Putting your best team out every second in the regular season when your team hasn't made the playoffs in the last decade. Are Oilers fans really getting this confident already? Seasons not even half over and a couple game losing streak of being on the outside.

Call me dumb but with the pathetic nature of the Oilers over the past decade I would put my best roster out there every second even if the game 10-1 with 30 seconds left.

I'm not an Oilers fan, I'm an outsider who doesn't understand why playing Draisaitl or RNH is an automatic loss when they're up a bunch.

Oct 18, 2011
But hf told me his prorated stats are as good as gold, you mean to tell me as a sample gets larger it becomes difficult to maintain such insane paces like he's had?

Still great numbers but that's why you can't overreact to small and medium sample sizes and use them as gospel

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
But hf told me his prorated stats are as good as gold, you mean to tell me as a sample gets larger it becomes difficult to maintain such insane paces like he's had?

Still great numbers but that's why you can't overreact to small and medium sample sizes and use them as gospel

He's only ever been on pace for as high as like 105 points from what I remember outside of maybe his first 2 games this year so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
And Crosby has 108 points over the last 84 games (56 goals, 52 assists).

A prime age Crosby (28/29) should be expected to have better stats than a 19-year-old.

LeBron James was not as good as Kobe Bryant at age 19, but he did obviously overtake him as the years rolled on, same with Michael Jordan as compared to Bird/Magic, same with Mario Lemieux at 19 compared to Gretzky.

Muggs

Oct 29, 2016
A prime age Crosby (28/29) should be expected to have better stats than a 19-year-old.

LeBron James was not as good as Kobe Bryant at age 19, but he did obviously overtake him as the years rolled on, same with Michael Jordan as compared to Bird/Magic, same with Mario Lemieux compared to Gretzky.

LeBron destroyed Kobe at 19.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
LeBron destroyed Kobe at 19.

Kobe Bryant was scoring 81 points and winning championships when LeBron was in his first couple of years.

He was close in ability though, but that's the same as McDavid.

You can put McDavid on the same ice with Crosby and Malkin and he can play as well as them on any given night, for example in the Oilers-Penguins game, McDavid was clearly the best player on the ice.

I'm sure Mario could do the same against Gretzky early on in his career.

But consistently and peak level performance, that doesn't happen until you get further into your 20s, part and parcel because experience and strength develops as a talented player gets further into their 20s ... they can score more and do more impressive things because they know all the little tricks and develop greater efficiency.

McDavid at age 25/26/27/28 is going to be a lot better than the player you see now, who is already an amazing player.

Muggs

Oct 29, 2016
Kobe Bryant was scoring 81 points and winning championships when LeBron was in his first couple of years.

He was close in ability though, but that's the same as McDavid.

You can put McDavid on the same ice with Crosby and Malkin and he can play as well as them on any given night, for example in the Oilers-Penguins game, McDavid was clearly the best player on the ice.

I'm sure Mario could do the same against Gretzky early on in his career.

But consistently and peak level performance, that doesn't happen until you get further into your 20s, part and parcel because experience and strength develops as a talented player gets further into their 20s ... they can score more and do more impressive things because they know all the little tricks and develop greater efficiency.

I understand your point and agree for the most part, other then the Kobe - LeBron comparison. LeBron was 27-7-7 as a 19 year old. Anyways, don't want to derail the thread with NBA talk. McDavid is spectacular and will win a boat load of Art Ross trophies, nothing to worry about.

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
I'm actually pretty concerned with McDavid. He has been very quiet for quite a while now. More often than not his line is hemmed in their own zone. He is still playing okay but it's not like it was at the beginning of the season where you were literally on the edge of your seat every time he touched the puck. Hopefully it is just a funk and he snaps out of it sooner than later.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Yeah, but there is people how has been on pace for higher totals than 120 through 40 games or later. Malkin for example.

Even then Malkin "slowed down" in the second half and missed out on hitting 120.

Do you know of anybody else that did this through their 1st 40 games in the last 10 years?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
As for your peak age examples. You've provided 1 example of a player peaking statistically at a younger age, and that just so happens to conveniently coincide with a changing of era. The data out there does not show that forwards peak at age 22, and what is known in the scientific community is also that athletic and physiological functioning does not peak until the mid to late 20's. You're going to have to try harder if you want to back a claim about when McDavid will "probably peak".

It's much closer to the mid 20s then late 20s. He'll probably be at his best around 23-26, and his best statistical season will likely be when he's 22-24. If he puts in the work, he'll almost certainly be a more complete player in most facets as he hits his mid/late 20s, but I doubt he'll produce more at that time, then he will when he's in his early 20s.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Breaking PPG pace in his first full season's worth of games in the NHL isn't insane good? He's having the best "rookie season" (combined in this case) since Crosby/Ovechkin.

Nah, Malkin had a better rookie season...as did Panarin...

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
It's much closer to the mid 20s then late 20s. He'll probably be at his best around 23-26, and his best statistical season will likely be when he's 22-24. If he puts in the work, he'll almost certainly be a more complete player in most facets as he hits his mid/late 20s, but I doubt he'll produce more at that time, then he will when he's in his early 20s.

Peak physiological maturity occurs generally between ages 25-27, which is what I was referring to there, and the majority of data I've seen out there for forwards statistical peak was in the 24-26 range although I don't have the article on hand. Not that it really matters they're only averages and every player is unique, not to mention stats can be greatly influenced by the team around you or simply having a great season where everything seems to go right for you (i.e. Kane last year). So really we have no idea what age McDavid will peak statistically, other than that it will probably occur between 20-30 years old.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad