Connor McDavid with 91 pts in last 84 games

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
He won't equal Crosby or exceed him, said that a ton of times but people beg to differ...He could win more harts/rosses though,

And 17 in the 10 before that.
He wasn’t going to stay that hot just as he won't stay this cold. I don't have a complete read on a whole season yet though.

As for your peak age examples. You've provided 1 example of a player peaking statistically at a younger age, and that just so happens to conveniently coincide with a changing of era. The data out there does not show that forwards peak at age 22, and what is known in the scientific community is also that athletic and physiological functioning does not peak until the mid to late 20's. You're going to have to try harder if you want to back a claim about when McDavid will "probably peak".

He's actually somewhat correct here. Forwards have there best offensive years around 25..might be even lower for elite scorers.

Last edited:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He won't equal Crosby or exceed him, said that a ton of times but people beg to differ...He could win more harts/rosses though,

He wasn’t going to stay that hot just as he won't stay this cold. I don't have a complete read on a whole season yet though

I know, was just providing some context to that post. Ebbs and flows happen for every player and McDavid is no different.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

He wasn’t going to stay that hot just as he won't stay this cold. I don't have a complete read on a whole season yet though.

He's actually somewhat correct here. Forwards have there best offensive years around 25..might be even lower for elite scorers.

I've seen studies done that say the average is 26/27 for the past 30 or so years, relative to league scoring and not raw numbers. For elite players that is.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
I'm not an Oilers fan, I'm an outsider who doesn't understand why playing Draisaitl or RNH is an automatic loss when they're up a bunch.

I know I was just making the point that when you are as low as the Oilers franchise is? You play the 2nd best player in the world as much as you can all the time. Which their coaching staff obviously agrees with.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
This is pretty unfair for McDavid since he was born in January and not August.

And missed half his rookie year. I figured this was fairly obvious to most how poor the point of that post was so it wasn't really worth addressing.

Crosby has more than likely had the better start to their careers even if the numbers are hard to compare given the different eras, but this shouldn't be all that surprising. Crosby came into the league about as physically mature as you can despite how young of an 18 year old he was. Even back then you couldn't knock him off the puck.

Will Crosby end up as the better player than McDavid in their respective careers? Probably, but thats not really a slight to McDavid. Crosby is a very special player.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
To be honest, I don't think anyone expected 90 points in his first 82 games heading into his rookie season. I think if you told most people what he'd produce in August 2015, you would have been labelled too bullish. There was backlash towards TSN for even putting McDavid in the top 50, let alone amoungst elite company right off the bat.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Peak physiological maturity occurs generally between ages 25-27, which is what I was referring to there, and the majority of data I've seen out there for forwards statistical peak was in the 24-26 range although I don't have the article on hand. Not that it really matters they're only averages and every player is unique, not to mention stats can be greatly influenced by the team around you or simply having a great season where everything seems to go right for you (i.e. Kane last year). So really we have no idea what age McDavid will peak statistically, other than that it will probably occur between 20-30 years old.

That's basically all you can be sure of.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
To be honest, I don't think anyone expected 90 points in his first 82 games heading into his rookie season. I think if you told most people what he'd produce in August 2015, you would have been labelled too bullish. There was backlash towards TSN for even putting McDavid in the top 50, let alone amoungst elite company right off the bat.

You are correct, at least on the Oilers board. Most were predicting him in the 60-79 range

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=119293

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I've seen studies done that say the average is 26/27 for the past 30 or so years, relative to league scoring and not raw numbers. For elite players that is.

I wonder if there's any studies related to age a player enters the league or years playing top line minutes. It seems like the guys who become stars earlier also tend to peak earlier. But that might just be me mentally cherry picking.

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
You are correct, at least on the Oilers board. Most were predicting him in the 60-79 range

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=119293

i think Oilers fans were just tired of being hurt by their team and players performance so they gave out modest predictions. It's easier to give a low estimate and be pleasantly surprised than it is to expect too much and be disappointed. I think if McDavid put up 60 points in 82 games Oilers fans would be secretly disappointed.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
It's 2016-2017.

90 points in his first 82 games is incredible. He's 19.

Holding calls are basically ignored to combat the rise in head injuries and concussions.

Scoring is considerably lower. Some of you saying 90 in 82 is some sort of sign he's not generational?

Haha, oh boy. I know what Pittsburgh fans had to deal with for so many years.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
It's 2016-2017.

90 points in his first 82 games is incredible. He's 19.

Holding calls are basically ignored to combat the rise in head injuries and concussions.

Scoring is considerably lower. Some of you saying 90 in 82 is some sort of sign he's not generational?

Haha, oh boy. I know what Pittsburgh fans had to deal with for so many years.

This. That's freaking phenomenal for a "rookie" in this era. There was a total of 1 player last year who hit 90 points. And he was on a waaaaay better team than McDavid.

Not concerned, he's only getting started.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Not overly scientific, but if you look at some of the recent "elite" or "franchise" players, I'd say their best seasons (statistically) were closer to 22 or 23 than they were 26/27.

Current franchise guys:
Jagr - 149 points and 62 goals at age 23
Ovechkin - 112 points and 65 goals at age 22
Malkin - 113 points at age 22, 50 goals at age 25
Crosby - 120 points at age 19, 51 goals at age 22
Thornton - 125 points at age 26, 37 goals at age 21
Stamkos - 97 points and 60 goals at age 21

And two of the greatest ever:
Gretzky - 215 points at age 25, 92 goals at age 21
Lemieux - 199 points and 85 goals at age 23

Seems most have their best statistical season by age 23.

Kale Makar

Lets go Aves?
Apr 17, 2013
Denver, CO
He never said Kucherov as a rookie. He said Kucherov right now. Which he is equivocal now. Use whatever semantics you want. There's not a discernible difference between the two at this point and time.

Other than the fact Kucherov has been in the league for 4 years already, is older than McDavid, and is on a better team than McDavid, I agree, there is no difference between them :shakehead

Point production-wise, yes they are the same, but in actually comparing the players that is not the only measure that should be referenced, it gives no context.

In regards to everyone, considering how few players have reached 90 or 100 points recently in the peaks of their careers, how is 90 points for McD not extremely impressive? Not every prospect is going to come into the league being the best, there is always going to be time taken developing, even McDavid.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Returned after a fairly serious injury in his rookie season which slowed his acclimatization to the NHL and has been mirred in a 12 game slump this season... and yet still has put up 91 points in his first 84 NHL games.

If anybody thinks that is underwhelming, disappointing or doesn't meet McDavid's hype, something is wrong with their brain.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Not overly scientific, but if you look at some of the recent "elite" or "franchise" players, I'd say their best seasons (statistically) were closer to 22 or 23 than they were 26/27.

Current franchise guys:
Jagr - 149 points and 62 goals at age 23
Ovechkin - 112 points and 65 goals at age 22
Malkin - 113 points at age 22, 50 goals at age 25
Crosby - 120 points at age 19, 51 goals at age 22
Thornton - 125 points at age 26, 37 goals at age 21
Stamkos - 97 points and 60 goals at age 21

And two of the greatest ever:
Gretzky - 215 points at age 25, 92 goals at age 21
Lemieux - 199 points and 85 goals at age 23

Seems most have their best statistical season by age 23.

Except Jagr's best season is generally seen as 98/99 (relative to the rest of the league) so he was actually 27 at the end of that season. Malkin's best season was 25. Crosby's best full season he was 26, and best half season he was 23. Forsberg, Sakic, and Datysuk all peaked in the 29-31 range. St. Louis was anywhere between 28-37. As you have shown there Thornton's best season was 26, and Stamkos was a big exception. Lemieux arguably had his best season at 27 with 69 goals and 160 points in 60 games in 92/93. That's all pretty fitting for a 26/27 average. Infact, I remember it correctly now, 26/27 was for goals only, 27/28 was for points, and 28/29 was for assists. I also think the list only included those born from sometime in the 60s until 1981, so Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin or whoever were born after that were not included.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad