Confirmed with Link: Connor Dewar - Signed one-year, $1.18mm

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Minors Buriable Amount

2024-25: $775,000 + $375,000 = $1,150,000
With 24 of 23 roster spots... we are $1,974,667 over the cap.

This includes the mystery Hakanpaa signing..

we send down Timmins and Webber and we are below the cap. They mysteriously total $1.975 mil.

I dunno, at this price I’d rather have given it to a Daniel Sprong and hope for some cheap 18-20 goal production.

Dewar scored 11 goals last year.

So less than your suggested for Sprong.

But Dewar can play D, he PK's, he plays C, and hits.... all things Sprong can't do.

I just don't think building a team of soft offense only wingers is the way to go.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
The fact that it went over the $1 million mark feels kinda iffy to me even though it doesn’t matter.

There’s not that much daylight between a Dewar and an Aston-Reese or an Aube-Kubel or a Gregor.
I think his ability to play a fairly significant PK role is a pretty big difference.

Reactions: Frostitute

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

we send down Timmins and Webber and we are below the cap. They mysteriously total $1.975 mil.

Dewar scored 11 goals last year.

So less than your suggested for Sprong.

But Dewar can play D, he PK's, he plays C, and hits.... all things Sprong can't do.

I just don't think building a team of soft offense only wingers is the way to go.
Very mysterious

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Our 4th line is:

Dewar - Kampf - Reaves ($5 million)

Seems pricey for what it is... hopefully Reaves is sent to the AHL.

The Dewar contract is buriable, so it is fine, but it is another contract of a fringe NHLer that is over $1 million.

Frostitute

Feb 9, 2022
Northern Ontario
Our 4th line is:

Dewar - Kampf - Reaves ($5 million)

Seems pricey for what it is... hopefully Reaves is sent to the AHL.

The Dewar contract is buriable, so it is fine, but it is another contract of a fringe NHLer that is over $1 million.
Reeves is here to punch faces and set the tone at the beginning of a playoff series.

Kampf is overpaid for the 4th line but can play 3rd easily in a pinch and PK.

Dewars deal is fair. 25yrs old, still has potential. Plays physical, sound defensively, can play C and PK.

Is 5mill too much? Id say yes. But not enough to worry about.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Reeves is here to punch faces and set the tone at the beginning of a playoff series.

Didn't help in that sense at all and ended up being a liability, can't imagine it getting better as he is approaching 40.

Kampf is overpaid for the 4th line but can play 3rd easily in a pinch and PK.

Don't disagree, but he is being used as a 4th line player, his deal is a slight overpay.

Dewars deal is fair. 25yrs old, still has potential. Plays physical, sound defensively, can play C and PK.

Fine with the deal, but he is a fringe NHLer... I don't think he provides much and these players are signed as UFAs every year for around the same amount, usually less.

Is 5mill too much? Id say yes. But not enough to worry about.

Our fanbase worries about every dollar being spent in every thread, just pointing out that it is a lot to be spending on a bad 4th line.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Reaves and Webber

Both won't require waivers.

Reaves because no one will pick him up.
He does not have a normal 35+ contract due to the way Treliving structured it.
Capwages show it as a 35+, but Capfriendly had the explanation.

There is a new provision in the CBA that was established in 2020 that as long as a player's 35+ deal is multiple years and has the same salary or increased in each subsequent season, the contract will be treated as a regular standard player contract and not carry the same penalties. That makes Reaves' contract less risky in the event Toronto goes this route with the 6-foor-2, 225-pound bruiser.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Sure whatever

I still think holmberg + Dewar could’ve been used in replacement of kampf + Jarnkrok instead of having all 4 black holes in our offence come playoff time

Could’ve saved like 2-3 million and used it somewhere else instead.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Malentsyn just signed for 2 years at 1.35M

I projected 1x1 for Dewar

Other models projected 2 years at 1.42M

1 year for 1.18M on Dewar is fine, he can pk which we need. It removes the arbitration uncertainty and likely paves the way for 1-2 moves between now and training camp.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
yeah a team could never go far in the playoffs with a guy the size of Derek Ryan on their 4th line
Florida cup. One guy played regularly sub 6 was Rodrigues.
Year before. 1 guy for Vegas. Marchessault.

Derek Ryan. Odd choice. He was benched at times and was the only sub 6 forward amongst the oiler forwards.

Domi. Dewar. Robertson. Potentially Cowan.

Dewar is not the one I would choose.

Ferraro was on overdrive the other day hammering home the same point. I tend to agree with him.

For sure. His signing definitely will be the downfall of this team this year.
Yes that is what I said.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Derek Ryan. Odd choice. He was benched at times and was the only sub 6 forward amongst the oiler forwards.

Ferraro was on overdrive the other day hammering home the same point. I tend to agree with him.

Yes that is what I said.
Don't forget Lomberg is 5'9" played 8 games for Florida these playoffs, including in the finals.
or Cousins at 5'11" or Rodrigues at 5'11"

I'm not sure how Ryan is the odd choice.. still 5'10" and played 19 games. I thought you couldn't win anything with short guys?

No way that either of those teams can win either.

Worked up over a 4th line guy, who was also a scratch at times. Good times.

Last edited:

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Type of forward you want to avoid wasting draft picks on at the trade deadline. It's better to sign him now and have him as depth then using a late pick on trading for depth at the deadline.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
There’s not that much daylight between a Dewar and an Aston-Reese or an Aube-Kubel or a Gregor.

There really is tho

The 4th line with Gregor sucked. They had terrible underlyings and were heavily outscored.

Once Dewar was added to the 4th line, it was actually really good. Dewar-Kampf-Reaves had 52% of the shot attempts, 63% of expected goals and even in actual goals despite getting buried in defensive starts. Dewar has speed like Gregor but is a far more well-rounded player who does a lot more.

The 4th line was quietly very good in the playoffs against Boston as well.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Now do the most dominant playoff run (Colorado) of the last 5 years...

4 players sub 6 foot.

11 players under 200lbs.

Tampa also had 5 players sub 6 foot one year and 5 the year before.

Ferraro seems to be very wrong here if he is saying you can't win with "small" players...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00