Confirmed with Link: Connor Dewar - Signed one-year, $1.18mm

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Agreed. Even the marginal parts of the roster are starting to look kinda pricey when you have nearly $4 million on a trio like that.

To me, the most "offensive" part of that trio, isn't the $3.6m they make, it's that none of them are really "investments"

They're all replacment level players who should probably be paid around $900k. That's nearly $1m in cap space, for what?

To play Conor Timmins in a whopping total of 25 games? Either play him or get off the pot and trade him.

To have Ryan Reaves "for character"... Mark Giordano brought "character" for $800k, and was actually a useful player for much of his tenure here.

To use Connor Dewar as your 13th forward? Again, for $300k less, you could have seemingly had Noah Gregor.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe Dewar has "perfect" #4 centre upside and just need to get his abysmal faceoff % up.... BUT, if you're going to buy into that narrative, at least make the investment in it... get him a couple of years. Move David Kampf, and use that cap space to get a guy that can actually be a #3 centre.

Reactions: leafs in five

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
To me, the most "offensive" part of that trio, isn't the $3.6m they make, it's that none of them are really "investments"

They're all replacment level players who should probably be paid around $900k. That's nearly $1m in cap space, for what?

To play Conor Timmins in a whopping total of 25 games? Either play him or get off the pot and trade him.

To have Ryan Reaves "for character"... Mark Giordano brought "character" for $800k, and was actually a useful player for much of his tenure here.

To use Connor Dewar as your 13th forward? Again, for $300k less, you could have seemingly had Noah Gregor.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe Dewar has "perfect" #4 centre upside and just need to get his abysmal faceoff % up.... BUT, if you're going to buy into that narrative, at least make the investment in it... get him a couple of years. Move David Kampf, and use that cap space to get a guy that can actually be a #3 centre.

Yeah I don’t mind each of the pieces, Dewar will be a hard worker. Reaves has his goon specialization. Timmins was sort of a reclamation project. But when you add it up there’s very limited upside in that trio. The whole thing could cost over a million less. At that price we didn’t even get Dewar for 2 years. So if it goes well we will have to let him walk or give him another raise.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

I never really liked the Reaves signing. He provided some entertainment, but he isn't the guy who makes your hockey team better, particularly in the playoffs when you really need to be able to play hockey.

I like Connor Timmins more than most, and think there is a decent player there, if he ever finds a way not to be injured. But where is his path to play? Is he our #8? Should our #8 be more than a minimum contract guy?

What about our #7? Is that Benoit if Hakanpaa plays? Benoit earned his raise to $1.35 million, but you really shouldn't be paying that to your #7.

Dewar is quite a bit better than Gregor... I'm not bothered by the $300k. Kampf is a bigger challenge for his usage last year.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Don't forget Lomberg is 5'9" played 8 games for Florida these playoffs, including in the finals.
or Cousins at 5'11" or Rodrigues at 5'11"

I'm not sure how Ryan is the odd choice.. still 5'10" and played 19 games. I thought you couldn't win anything with short guys?

No way that either of those teams can win either.

Worked up over a 4th line guy, who was also a scratch at times. Good times.

Now do the most dominant playoff run (Colorado) of the last 5 years...

4 players sub 6 foot.

11 players under 200lbs.

Tampa also had 5 players sub 6 foot one year and 5 the year before.

Ferraro seems to be very wrong here if he is saying you can't win with "small" players...
The game evolves. Tampa and Colorado got moved past by different types of teams. That was also the point Ray was making.

As I said from first post. Nothing wrong in isolation with Dewar.

Problem is, when added to the group we have up front it has proven now 8 years to not work.

We have 4 high skill no will forwards.
If you add 3 to 4 small forwards. And another 2 or 3 vanilla forwards. (Jarnkrok, Kampf, etc). In totality I don’t think it works.
Florida could sit some of those guys for stretches in playoffs but we have too many you would need to sit.

He alone is not the issue but with what else we have I don’t think he helps compensate for what the rest of the forwards are lacking.

My view is today’s game you need need speed skill and size As a complete package for your forward group and the more you are missing on those elements from each player the harder it gets.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
The game evolves. Tampa and Colorado got moved past by different types of teams. That was also the point Ray was making.

As I said from first post. Nothing wrong in isolation with Dewar.

Problem is, when added to the group we have up front it has proven now 8 years to not work.

We have 4 high skill no will forwards.
If you add 3 to 4 small forwards. And another 2 or 3 vanilla forwards. (Jarnkrok, Kampf, etc). In totality I don’t think it works.
Florida could sit some of those guys for stretches in playoffs but we have too many you would need to sit.

He alone is not the issue but with what else we have I don’t think he helps compensate for what the rest of the forwards are lacking.

My view is today’s game you need need speed skill and size As a complete package for your forward group and the more you are missing on those elements from each player the harder it gets.

How much did the game change in 2 years?

"Today's game" like 2022 the game was so different...

Colorado proved that you can win with a smaller team of skilled players, before that Tampa did it twice.

This makes no sense, next time a team with a handful of smaller players wins are you going to say the game changed again?

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
What about our #7? Is that Benoit if Hakanpaa plays? Benoit earned his raise to $1.35 million, but you really shouldn't be paying that to your #7.
I think Hakanpaa is an arbitrage play on Lily. One of them will end up with us down the stretch. Benoit will be expected to man his post as LD3 at $1.35M in the end.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Dewar can kill penalties and play centre .. at 24 there might be some room for growth into a reliable regular 4th liner which can make Kampf for expendable

Depth at a reasonable price.

Reactions: colchar and JEI

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
How much did the game change in 2 years?

"Today's game" like 2022 the game was so different...

Colorado proved that you can win with a smaller team of skilled players, before that Tampa did it twice.

This makes no sense, next time a team with a handful of smaller players wins are you going to say the game changed again?
Yes game does change every couple of years in my view.

Summary for me, we have 4 spots locked with one type of player. The other 8 spots need to compensate for that. Dewar is a nice player but I think when you add him to the other options we have it doesn’t create the well rounded type of forward group you need to win. Maybe he stays and some of the other 7 change.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
I am still sour about the no-call on the hacks on his hands on the SH breakaway in game 7. on a kill for a penalty for a phantom hack to the hands. anyway I liked him and would rather him over Kampf if any team would take that contract.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Always tough coming to a team around the trade deadline unless you are a seasoned vet used to trades. Let’s see what he does with a training camp and the new coaches. I Ike his jam, he doesn’t mind the slot and despite his size, lays on the body and is fine with the bigger bodies on the 4th line.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Oh man did Dewar ever hit pay dirt.

Guess Treliving sees Dewar as an elite bottom sixer if that isn't an oxymoron. Gotta hope he knows a lot more than everyone else what this guy is capable. Because this signing is getting slammed almost as bad as the Kampf one.

All Treliving's done since getting hired is give people raises.

Except to Robertson that is. Ha ha no wonder he asked for a trade. A no scoring bottom six chump like Dewar just got an almost 50% increase in pay.

Feels a little unfair Robertson didn't get his "fair" share.

Then again nobody should care about the cry baby wanting out of here anyway. Not like the Leafs can afford him anymore. There isn't much room left in the budget to give anyone else extra.

Not in small part because they just gave Dewar a huge raise.

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
Ready for everyone to lose their minds because we didn't sign him for 800k...

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Ready for everyone to lose their minds because we didn't sign him for 800k...

Our 4th line is $5 million and it'd be nice to upgrade on 2 of the players since one is bad and the other is ok.

By itself, it is fine, but this keeps happening...

Reactions: fahad203

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
worse player than Gregor for more money
Gregor is sub replacement level. He's an absolute trash player. On the other hand...
Pretty sure the PK improved substantially after we acquired him. It was a big weakness, which was why we acquired him. We paid a price for him, we might as well keep him, eapecially at the expense of maybe $200,000.
Huh? The PK fell off a cliff towards the end of the season and was a whopping 64.7% in the playoffs.

Reactions: ACC1224

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
Gregor is sub replacement level. He's an absolute trash player. On the other hand...

Huh? The PK fell off a cliff towards the end of the season and was a whopping 64.7% in the playoffs.
Yeah Gregor sucks too. I'll take Minten over either of these guys.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Marners injury would have had an impact on the PK as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00