Confirmed with Link: Connor Dewar - Signed one-year, $1.18mm

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
Our 4th line is $5 million and it'd be nice to upgrade on 2 of the players since one is bad and the other is ok.

By itself, it is fine, but this keeps happening...
And your point is? Just because they signed him doesn't mean they can't or wont trade him. Just because Kampf is here still doesn't mean they won't trade him.

The fourth line will not be worth $5M come opening night, that's very obvious...

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
It feels replacement level, but at the same time who else should we sign or promote instead?

Gurdd they like the player enough, see potential. Hopefully he'll be stronger being here for the full year, be well utilized by the new coaching staff.

The contract is very low down on our list of things to be concerned about with this organization. It's fine enough.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Sure, pretty inconsequential signing, depth at depth price. Only $30,000 over being fully buried if waived, good enough. NHL level player.

Last edited:

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Oh man did Dewar ever hit pay dirt.

Guess Treliving sees Dewar as an elite bottom sixer if that isn't an oxymoron. Gotta hope he knows a lot more than everyone else what this guy is capable. Because this signing is getting slammed almost as bad as the Kampf one.

All Treliving's done since getting hired is give people raises.

Except to Robertson that is. Ha ha no wonder he asked for a trade. A no scoring bottom six chump like Dewar just got an almost 50% increase in pay.

Feels a little unfair Robertson didn't get his "fair" share.

Then again nobody should care about the cry baby wanting out of here anyway. Not like the Leafs can afford him anymore. There isn't much room left in the budget to give anyone else extra.

Not in small part because they just gave Dewar a huge raise.

on what planet is this "elite bottom sixer" money. He was projected for $1.4M by the models I've seen so this "hit pay dirt" narrative is hilarious.

Reactions: ACC1224

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
And your point is? Just because they signed him doesn't mean they can't or wont trade him. Just because Kampf is here still doesn't mean they won't trade him.

The fourth line will not be worth $5M come opening night, that's very obvious...

Source?

Do you think they are signing players to trade them? Just trade his rights...

Kampf is the only useful one.

on what planet is this "elite bottom sixer" money. He was projected for $1.4M by the models I've seen so this "hit pay dirt" narrative is hilarious.

Those same models usually have Matthews as being underpaid as well, just FYI.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
not this one

this isn't a model like Dom's/EvolvingHockey which seeks to quantify the on-ice value, it's one that seeks to predict contracts based on comparables.

I guess that is their prediction, but $1.4 million for a fringe NHLer who hasn't secured a spot in the lineup and should be challenged by other bubble players seems like a lot and a high prediction.

What stats are used?

I think $1.2 is still too much for a replaceable player, but it isn't terrible.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Call me crazy, but this is a stupid deal.

Dewar is far from a "special player" in the league. He has 19 goals in 190 games. He should probably be making $900k. Similar to Noah Gregor who signed with the Sens for $850k.

This deal feels like we're paying for potential "this guy could be a stud PKer that puts up a dozen goals"... but with no actual upside as it's only a 1-year deal.

At least get yourself a 2nd year on it much like the Leafs did with McMann.
WELL....he was a very good PKer that put up 11 goals last year so he is almost what you hope he will be.

Take Dewar over Gregor because he can play centre too.

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
Tough crowd.. I liked this pick up and its a fine price for one year.

Dewar came in and made the 4th line not only playable but a net positive, and he passed the eye test too. Who the hell compared him to Gregor? That dude was a joke, part of the historically awful 4th line that got scored on every game he played.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Tough crowd.. I liked this pick up and its a fine price for one year.

Dewar came in and made the 4th line not only playable but a net positive, and he passed the eye test too. Who the hell compared him to Gregor? That dude was a joke, part of the historically awful 4th line that got scored on every game he played.

He wasn't the glue... Reaves coming back and being playable was, early in the season he was horrendous.

Holmberg - Kampf - Reaves was better than with Dewar there.

But yes, Gregor sucked and Dewar is better.

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
Source?

Do you think they are signing players to trade them? Just trade his rights...

Kampf is the only useful one.
I never said they we're going to trade him I said just because they signed him doesn't mean they can't or won't trade him... and yes many players have signed contracts and we're traded right after or for the purpose of a sign and trade...

Kampf is not useful at $2.4M... he's a fourth liner, you don't pay fourth liners $2.4M and he's not a third liner.... so the likelihood of him being traded is very high.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I never said they we're going to trade him I said just because they signed him doesn't mean they can't or won't trade him... and yes many players have signed contracts and we're traded right after or for the purpose of a sign and trade...

Kampf is not useful at $2.4M... he's a fourth liner, you don't pay fourth liners $2.4M and he's not a third liner.... so the likelihood of him being traded is very high.

A sign and trade is signed and then immediately traded, at this point, this would just be a trade.

Kampf is overpaid but by far the most useful on the 4th line, I don't think he is being traded away.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
So doing some reading, and listening to Steve Dangle's reaction video... I think I get why it had to be $1.18m.

If you assume the Leafs sign Hakanpaa to the $1.5m they supposedly agreed on; I think it would be highly likely that he isn't ready to go for game 1, and starts on LTIR.

If that signing goes through..... it leaves them with $875,300 in cap space assuming Connor Timmins is sent down. The Leafs have at least 4 players who make exactly that (or $300 less to be exact)-- Jacob Quillan, Nikita Grebyonkin, Matt Murray, and Cade Webber.

If the Leafs align their opening day roster to be $300 shy of the cap, then they can use all but $300 of Hakanpaa's $1.5m on LTIR. That means they can bring back Timmins for $1.1m, and swap out whichever of the above 4 they've kept in favour of Easton Cowan, should they decide that route.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00